Recommendation: Chainsaws

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregGleason

Reaction score
I have some downed trees that I need to cut. These trees are no bigger than 6 inches in diameter. I estimate making about a 100 cuts or so in this series.

I have a budget of about $200. I can go to the big box stores or Ace Hardware in my area.

Any suggestions?

Is this chainsaw something you view as an investment where you might rarely use it, but when you do, you want to trust that it'll work on a moment's notice? If so, I'd go with a name brand, like Stihl, Echo or Husqvarna.

I was in a similar situation as you and bought the Stihl MS 170. Not a professional chainsaw, but for a homeowner who has the occassional downed tree to deal with, it's perfect. I had trees fall down in the backyard on two occassions, about 2-3 years apart and it worked both times perfectly. And because I rarely used this chainsaw, I bought TruFuel to go with it.

If you’re already invested in a system of cordless power tools, look to see if you can get a bare tool chainsaw to use your batteries. They’ve gotten really good.

Don’t forget you’ll need bar oil.

Renting isn’t a bad idea.

Whatever you do, use some of the money to get yourself some good PPE and learn how to use the chainsaw safely. Things can go wrong very quickly. Look at Wayco’s picture to see what decent PPE looks like.

I like my Stihl, but I ended up putting on a longer bar.

S-Mart!
evil dead television GIF

This model has lopped off over 100 zombie body parts 6" or less.

All great recommendations as mentioned above. I also vote for the renting of a saw if you think that it is the only time that you would use it. Stihl and Echo are great saws, 12"-14" just might be hard to stay within your budget. Also read up a little on safety as well. If you have never used a chainsaw before, try to keep the chain out of the dirt, it will dull quickly. Might be worth while to purchase an extra chain. If you do purchase a saw, I would go with what is common in your area. See if you have a servicing dealer in your area that would carry extra parts if you need anything in a hurry, missing bar nut, fuel cap, etc. Also as mentioned, canned fuel is the way to go. It has a much longer shelf life than gasoline. Be sure to get the 2 cycle type and not 4 cycle. If you do use gasoline, make sure that you get the proper gas to oil ratio in it or you could seriously damage the engine. And add a fuel stabilizer to your gasoline as well. And chains can be sharpened many times too. Since these storms have been coming through, a lot of my repairs have switched over from lawn mower repairs to chain saw repairs, with a lot of chain sharpening. Hope this helps on your search.

Stihl guy here.

Chainsaw, blower, string trimmer, and hedge trimmer.

But in your situation I would rent or borrow.

I only use mine a few times a year, but it's there when I need it.

Had a similar problem needing to cut up a couple of small trees.

I have all 20 volt brushless Dewalt tools so I went to Home Depot for a small chainsaw that would use my batteries.

They suggested a $10 Diablo 9" pruning blade for the sawzall I already have. Very surprised how well it cut.

Could be a cheap solution if you have a sawzall or in budget if you buy one.

Over the years I have owned a number of saws and Stihl and Husqvarna have been my saws of choice. Husqvarna is my favored brand not because they are better than Stihl, but because I like the way they handle and cut, and usually are a bit less pricey than Stihl. I own both a consumer grade Husqvarna 55 (since 1994 iirc) and a pro grade Husqvarna 365Xp since the late 1990s both have served well. If only for occasional/light use and smaller trees Dewalt makes a 16" Flexvolt 60V saw that works nicely IMO.

Stihl. Now with that said absolutely invest in the right safety gear and learn to use the thing properly. Kickback on a chainsaw happens in a fraction of a second and can be “life changing”. A chainsaw is arguably one of the most dangerous tools a person can own.

I got myself a Kobalt 24vt Chainsaw to take care of some yard occasional yard clean up. Was under 200 with battery and charger, and got the job done, although i never tried cutting something that big yet. There is a dead tree in my yard that is about that size I may take down if the property manager lets me.

Occasional work, light duty buy homeowners grade.
Anything heavier buy commercial grade.
Don't store fuel for a long time. Old ethanol mixture left in the tool messes up the engine. Don't ask me how I know. Ethanol free fuel mixes are available, but even those become stale if not used for an extended period.
Haven't tried the electric chainsaws but my 40v mower is anemic compared to my gas mower.
Can't cut through the tough stuff.
Maybe it's improved recently, IDK.
Invest in a chain sharpening kit.
Cheaper than buying new chains every time.
Looks like there are quite a few Stihl-y eyed missilemen here.
:D

Last edited:
I have a chainsaw captive breeding program....
IMG_0451.jpg
As mentioned, 100 cuts on 6" wood might only be a tank or two of fuel. For that duration of use, just about any saw will meet your needs. If you want longevity, the selection becomes more nuanced. Both Stihl and Husqvarna make inexpensive, and difficult to work on homeowner grade saws, while the professional models are designed for extended use and serviceability. I don't own any Echo chainsaws, however they are well designed but spare parts when needed tend to be as expensive as Stihl parts and a little more difficult to source.

Where are you located, as I might be able to help you source a saw for your needs.
The most common issue with chainsaws and other two cycle equipment in alcohol in the fuel and the effects on the carburetor metering diaphragm.
Alcohol free fuel with a good synthetic mix oil is your friend. For long-term storage, run your saw dry to prevent fouling of your carburetor.

Where are you located, as I might be able to help you source a saw for your needs.

John

I have some downed trees that I need to cut. These trees are no bigger than 6 inches in diameter. I estimate making about a 100 cuts or so in this series.

I had a similar project come down on my driveway ~5 years ago.
Got an electric chainsaw at that time at Home Depot. Still using it every winter to cut the stump of the Xmas tree.
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Outdoor-Power-Equipment-Chainsaws-Electric-Chainsaws-Corded-Electric-Chainsaws/N-5yc1vZcg4d/Ntk-elasticplus/Ntt-electric+chain+saw?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5&visNavSearch=electric chain saw

I have a budget of about $200. I can go to the big box stores or Ace Hardware in my area.
Any suggestions?

You can find an excellent corded electric chain saw for that price.
Or just sneak in under the budget for a basic battery chain saw (if you need mobility).

Anything pro-grade will be WAY above that budget line.
I want something pro-grade, but don't really need it.
If/when my corded saw breaks, I will get an 18" bar M18 or a 20" bar DeWalt saw with storage case.
Minimal maintenance required with electric saws, and they always start-up when you need them, even if that's only once a year.

https://www.youtube.com/@GuiltyofTreeson/videos

Last edited:
Stihl then Echo. I have both. Am happy with both.

Instead of driving to every store in town to find the pole trimmer I wanted, I just ordered one from Home Depot online, delivered to my door.

Go on each brands website, try to figure out which ones are the pro grade models, and stick to those.

They'll be more than $600.

I have a Stihl Pro limbing saw (14") that climbers use in trees - you must be careful with any chain saw, but a little more so with that one. Still (see what I did there?), it's my go-to saw for cleaning the brush off of tress and other small work, up to 3-4". I also have a Husqvarna that will cut very well with a 20" or 24" bar. I do not like big-box or Walmart stuff, I've had premature death on too much of that junque, but as others have said, if you're sure that's all you going to do, it might get you through.

Just to underscore: GET THE PPE! Do NOT skip this, I don't care if you've used a chain saw since you were 3 years old. One slip or kickback from a saw will maim you for life. My daughter works the ER at a Children's Hospital, and just treated a young man who had a kickback and it hit his face. He still has one eye, at least. Hence, my thumbs up to James Duffy's post.

Just to underscore: GET THE PPE! Do NOT skip this, I don't care if you've used a chain saw since you were 3 years old. One slip or kickback from a saw will maim you for life. My daughter works the ER at a Children's Hospital, and just treated a young man who had a kickback and it hit his face. He still has one eye, at least. Hence, my thumbs up to James Duffy's post.
This bears repeating. 40 years ago my cousin was the ER nurse when her husband was wheeled in with his lower jaw cut open by a chainsaw that kicked back. He survived, but it was very traumatizing for her.

I was in the same circumstance back in the early 90's. I bought a Craftsman chainsaw at Sears, and it's still going strong to this day. About five years ago I found out it was made by Husqvarna.

I use a Husqvarna for bigger stuff, but this guy works well for 6” or less. Much nicer to use for the branches than the full sized chain saw.
View attachment 652372
This is my exact recommendation for someone who already has DeWalt batteries & chargers. The protective tip has safety screws that'll wiggle out after a while, but IIRC it's m5.

The 20in 60v saw is also quite nice, but you have to shim the tensioner. A lot easier to lug around than my ms462, and really throws chips if you have the 15ah battery ( which I do, for the missus' weed eater ).

I have a Stihl 12" and it is about 30 years old. Still going. Recommended.

I recently purchased on of the little 6" chainsaws from Aliexpress. About $55AUD for the saw, charger, battery and two chains. Works a treat for the small stuff that hasn't dried out and become too hard. Those ones only take a little longer.
https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-6"-chainsaw.html
Some of them are even compatible with Makita batteries.

I also have a 6" Ryobi pole saw that runs off mains. That does a wonderful job too, if you have mains handy.

If you don't want something that is going to go forever I would consider the Aliexpress units. Just be very aware of where your second hand is. It is very easy to get it into harm's way if you are not paying attention. I tend to hold it two-handed, just to be sure.

Back