Questions about DIY Centering Rings (BT-60 to 4 inch)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunstar

Reaction score
So I'd like to make my own centering rings for body tubes BT-60 up to 4 inch, with 18mm and 24mm engine tubes. I would prefer to make them from thin plywood. I know a laser cutter would be perfect for this, but that isn't an option unless someone can point me to a $200 unit that would do the job. I have a drill press however. What I'm thinking of is using a circle cutter like in the link below for the outer edge of the ring:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004T7OZ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

I could use that for the hole as well I think, but there are 18mm and 24mm spade bits, hole saws and forstner bits. Would any of those be a better option?

I do have a 3d printer and could print the right shapes, but how would they hold up under use long term? I don't feel confident that is a good option. I'm not going to print in ABS, I can do PLA, PLA+ and PTEG.

Would love to hear from anyone who has experience in any of this.

So I'd like to make my own centering rings for body tubes BT-60 up to 4 inch, with 18mm and 24mm engine tubes. I would prefer to make them from thin plywood. I know a laser cutter would be perfect for this, but that isn't an option unless someone can point me to a $200 unit that would do the job. I have a drill press however. What I'm thinking of is using a circle cutter like in the link below for the outer edge of the ring:

I could use that for the hole as well I think, but there are 18mm and 24mm spade bits, hole saws and forstner bits. Would any of those be a better option?

I do have a 3d printer and could print the right shapes, but how would they hold up under use long term? I don't feel confident that is a good option. I'm not going to print in ABS, I can do PLA, PLA+ and PTEG.

Both 3D printing and the wheel cutter will work. I have seen successful flights with 3D printed centering rings from low to level 3. The key is the right material, wall thickness, infill, and fill pattern.

https://www.rapiddirect.com/blog/how-to-make-strong-3d-prints/

What matrials/thickness etc. did you use? What glue did you use?

I use plastic epoxy from Lowes. Thickness depends on the bird, but I have gone as thick as 1/2 inch and as high as 60% infill.

I have made quite a few (1/8", 3/16" & 1/4") and used holesaws.
As mentioned above cut halfway through then cut from the other side.
I feel that a fly cutter is dangerous (too easy to hit your hands).
Don't forget that when cutting the outside diameter you need a holesaw that has the correct
inside diameter. I often need to buy oversize then sand the centering ring to fit.
Cut the outside first, then use a 1/4" bolt & large washers to hold the centering ring in the drill press for sanding, then cut the center hole. I have a lathe, so that part is easier.

I have made quite a few (1/8", 3/16" & 1/4") and used holesaws.
As mentioned above cut halfway through then cut from the other side.
I feel that a fly cutter is dangerous (too easy to hit your hands).
Don't forget that when cutting the outside diameter you need a holesaw that has the correct
inside diameter. I often need to buy oversize then sand the centering ring to fit.
Cut the outside first, then use a 1/4" bolt & large washers to hold the centering ring in the drill press for sanding, then cut the center hole. I have a lathe, so that part is easier.

Definitely better not to adjust them. They tend to loosen over time and can result in a neutering.

I have made CR from 1/8" plywood by drawing circles on the material with some form of compass, cutting out the rings to rough shape using a saw then sanding the ring to the pencil line using a disk sander. I have a tool for my drill press that uses sandpaper tubes so it works for sanding the inside hole.

The General Tools circle cutter you linked will work fine, I own a number of them and just leave them set to specific sizes instead of constantly resetting the size as it takes a bit of trial and error. One thing to keep you fingers safer is to use small brads and tack the ring down to a board big enough to keep your hands clear of the cutter.

Plus one for fly cutter.
1. it's adjustability is unmatched.
2. it is a little tricky to set up and takes some practice.
3. yes, it is dangerous... all really powerful tools are. affix the part well. also can lock it against a fence if you have built one for a drill press that is solid ( what I do). Keep hands well away from that bar!!!
4. CWB has a lot of experience and his suggestion of 3DP sounds like a good option. - but I go back to the flycutter since I cannot get my darn Zortrax M200 back up and running - ERROR #032 despite replacing all the electronics. sigh.

good luck.

Nate

Back