Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
actually, don't really care for hockey..
This.
Dad was big into the local hockey scene when he was in college. He took my brother and I to Cincinnati Stingers games. Dave got it. I didn't. The interest passed on to my son, so I gave him all of my Stingers stuff and Dad's Mohawk and NHL stuff. I enjoyed playing it, mostly for the fights. ;-)

If it's got too much crud to get off without brutal scrubbing, you might as well run it through the self-clean cycle then start the seasoning over from scratch. I've had to do that to my grill grates. (But that pan doesn't look so bad.)

If it's got too much crud to get off without brutal scrubbing, you might as well run it through the self-clean cycle then start the seasoning over from scratch. I've had to do that to my grill grates. (But that pan doesn't look so bad.)
I was more thinking of what would happen when those soda cans blew open and spread acidic gunk all over the inside of the oven and its contents.

What a terrible thing to do to cast iron. Even if it only a Lodge and not a manifestly superior item like an old Griswold. 😁
Another non fan of Lodge? I figured I was the only one. I don’t recall the brand my cast iron is, no marking of any kind on any of them. I purchased all three of my skillets, a 6, 10 and 13 inch from Kopple’s Browseville, in Boise when I was 14. 50 years ago and I am still using all three on a regular basis.
Looking for a nice cast iron griddle to add the my grill, all I can find local are Lodge, and I’m not impressed with those.

Another non fan of Lodge? I figured I was the only one. I don’t recall the brand my cast iron is, no marking of any kind on any of them. I purchased all three of my skillets, a 6, 10 and 13 inch from Kopple’s Browseville, in Boise when I was 14. 50 years ago and I am still using all three on a regular basis.
Looking for a nice cast iron griddle to add the my grill, all I can find local are Lodge, and I’m not impressed with those.
Lodge is ... fine. My daughter has a theory that the advent of aluminum and stainless steel pans in the 40's-70's meant that a lot of cast iron knowledge and technology got lost. So you have thick, heavy pans with a pebbled surface where earlier days had relatively lighter pans with a smooth surface. Our best cast iron pan dates from circa 1890 and is in weekly-or-more use. We also use a smaller one for fried eggs close to daily. It most likely came over from Ohio with my wife's great-grandparents when they homesteaded in Oregon and then NW Washington. A few months ago, my wife was looking at a Cooks Illustrated article about the 7 different skillets you really need in the kitchen and concluded that the cast iron was the ideal tool for 4-5 of them.

Fundamentally, you shouldn't need an auxiliary handle on a 12" pan. These folks are making new stock that's like the old Griswolds, if you can afford nearly $200 for a pan. That said, it should last several lifetimes if cared for well.

Lodge pans are good for one thing though--they are a better murder weapon than a Griswold. The extra weight helps, as does the sharp-cornered auxiliary handle.

Lodge is ... fine. My daughter has a theory that the advent of aluminum and stainless steel pans in the 40's-70's meant that a lot of cast iron knowledge and technology got lost. So you have thick, heavy pans with a pebbled surface where earlier days had relatively lighter pans with a smooth surface. Our best cast iron pan dates from circa 1890 and is in weekly-or-more use. We also use a smaller one for fried eggs close to daily. It most likely came over from Ohio with my wife's great-grandparents when they homesteaded in Oregon and then NW Washington. A few months ago, my wife was looking at a Cooks Illustrated article about the 7 different skillets you really need in the kitchen and concluded that the cast iron was the ideal tool for 4-5 of them.

Fundamentally, you shouldn't need an auxiliary handle on a 12" pan. These folks are making new stock that's like the old Griswolds, if you can afford nearly $200 for a pan. That said, it should last several lifetimes if cared for well.

Lodge pans are good for one thing though--they are a better murder weapon than a Griswold. The extra weight helps, as does the sharp-cornered auxiliary handle.
That pebbled surface is what I so dislike. All mine are smooth surfaces, and heavy for the Mrs, she doesn’t like them.
As I mentioned, I’ve been using mine since I was 14. My son will take them and probably pass them down to his kids.

Latest posts

Back