nilboG - A Backwards Finned Goblin

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ironically, by inverting the fins, you have reduced if not eliminated the advantage of rear eject.

Since the trailing fin edges now have a forward sweep, the motor casing is most likely to receive the initial ground impact rather than the (previously) rear swept fins.

If you DO elect to proceed with this “just for grins”, for anyone else I’d recommend extending the ejection as far forward as possible by removing the bulkhead and extend it INTO pastic nose cone and putting ballast weight on the forward end of the pop pod, ‘cept I know you turn your own magnificent wooden cones and likely don’t need the additional nose weight. If your went to the dark side (or at least the plastic side) this trick takes a bunch of weight OFF the rocket body. This reduces impact force at recovery for rear eject chute or streamer recovery, but the REAL magic is with pop pod gliders, it can radically both reduce glider mass AND favorably shift glider CG with at pop pod deployment, but provide needed stabilizing forward mass for boost.

Three backwards fins on a reversed named Goblin. I'm thinking blasphemy is the charge. MAYBE IT'S....SATAN? Do I forsee an angry Goblin mob with torches and pitch forks? A good ole fashioned witch hunt? Leave the three fins to the DRM crowd!
Shouldn't it be Nilbog? Or maybe, since it's only partly reversed, Boglin? With a wooden nose cone, it'll float. IT'S A WITCH! BURN IT! (Preferably, only in the right place.)

Three backwards fins on a reversed named Goblin. I'm thinking blasphemy is the charge. MAYBE IT'S....SATAN? Do I forsee an angry Goblin mob with torches and pitch forks? A good ole fashioned witch hunt? Leave the three fins to the DRM crowd!
Four fins are just draggy.... but that is the Estes way.​

2024-04-12 nilboG Photo Studio.jpg

Back