New to "Rocketry Forum"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenefl

Reaction score
Greetings everyone!

My name is Eugene and I have finally decided to register to post on these awesome forums! I have observed as a guest for probably the best of a month or two and have read through almost every thread on this forum. On occasion, I post on the ROL forums, but I enjoy the UBB format much more. I also appreciate the discussion of small model rocketry. For some advanced rocketeers, there is no longer such a thing as the discussion of model building.

So who am I and what do I do? Well, that will all come later. I'm a rocketeer of about 13 years, with a 4 year break in activity. This is my first year of getting back into the hobby. Coming back has had its advantages: the internet, the realization of life after Estes (MPR/HPR), and the discovery of clubs and organized rocketry.

I enjoy building rockets ranging from the Estes type, scratch built mid-power rockets (3" & 4" dia.), boost/rocket gliders, and video/24mm camera payload rockets.

I look forward to integrating with your established community and sharing my ideas and experiences.

For those of you that love pictures, here are some pictures of my rockets in action:

https://geocities.com/akafa1c/Rockets/

Here is my website, dedicated to aerial photography, which I am still a long way from completing:

https://home1.gte.net/res0xphr/index.htm

Enjoy!

(I had some other links up, but apparently my AOL account has finally been disabled. Not to worry, I will have more pictures up soon!)

Wow, great pics and video (https://home1.gte.net/res0xphr/index.htm )
Hope you're able to keep that site up longer; I'm pretty new to all this but those are the most exciting aerial pics I've seen.

Great stuff !

(You may very well be flying the sunny Florida skies, but right now I'm looking up at the bottom of a grey English thunderstorm; boy, you must be jealous huh ?)

eugene - Hey man, it's always good to see a lost soul find his/her way back to the flock :) And TRF can always use another member!

However I have 2 bones to pick with you. I am not sure that only 4 years counts as being out of the hobby(?) And quit talking about sunny warm/hot weather - you're gonna bum me out.

Hey just an attempt at humor. Glad to see you on-board. :cool:

Welcome aboard Eugene!

I love those aerial shots! Very cool. Keep the pics coming. :)

I'm gonna have to investigate doing an aerial cam bird. I just love the pics from those.

Jason

Originally posted by Jase

Welcome aboard Eugene!

I love those aerial shots! Very cool. Keep the pics coming.

I'm gonna have to investigate doing an aerial cam bird. I just love the pics from those.

Jason

If you ever have ANY questions on how-to, let me know. I am always glad to help. There are many resources out there to get started. I used one of the cheapest and most effective methods to accomplish aerial photography. Combine the Ray Dunakin method with a $24 Kodak Advantix camera, and you've got yourself a setup for under $50. (BTW, the camera pod rides atop a 2.6" LOC/Precision Graduator.)

Originally posted by cyberyokel
Wow, great pics and video (https://home1.gte.net/res0xphr/index.htm )
Hope you're able to keep that site up longer; I'm pretty new to all this but those are the most exciting aerial pics I've seen.

Great stuff !

(You may very well be flying the sunny Florida skies, but right now I'm looking up at the bottom of a grey English thunderstorm; boy, you must be jealous huh ?)

The link you reposted will be up for a long time. I just switch ISP's and my website will definitely be up for some time.

Sorry about your weather. It makes the nice days truly worthwhile. (Trust me, I live in Alaska for 3 years. I know about poor weather.)

Now that summer is upon us, we get rained on every afternoon. Otherwise, the mornings are PERFECT for flying. High 70s to low 80s with blue skies and minimal winds from the Gulf of Mexico.

Originally posted by rstaff3
eugene - Hey man, it's always good to see a lost soul find his/her way back to the flock :) And TRF can always use another member!

However I have 2 bones to pick with you. I am not sure that only 4 years counts as being out of the hobby(?) And quit talking about sunny warm/hot weather - you're gonna bum me out.

Hey just an attempt at humor. Glad to see you on-board. :cool:

I love internet humor. ;) Keeps things light!

As for the 4 year absence, now that I think about it, it's more like 8 years! When I left, it was with the intention of never coming back. I had pretty much gotten burned out and given away half of my fleet. (What I wouldn't do to get those back!!! OUCH!) Of course, this was back in high school. Rockets seemed to be the least of my priorities. Cars, girls, and hanging out became cool. Then I joined the Air Force, did my 4 year minimum enlistment, and got out. (There's the 8 years.) It is so nice to be home again. When I am not taking 14 semester hours in school, I am working. When I get a spare moment, my priority is ROCKETRY!

More pictures coming soon. Trust me, I have tons! All I need now is some webspace and I am set.

Thanks for the responses guys. See you around the forums.

Your the new guy, and you figured out how to do multiple quotes from different messages?

I'm impressed!

And tell us more about the aerial stuff. I'd like to know about the Kodak Advantix camera usage.

Thanks, and welcome!

Originally posted by Lee Reep
Your the new guy, and you figured out how to do multiple quotes from different messages?

I'm impressed!

And tell us more about the aerial stuff. I'd like to know about the Kodak Advantix camera usage.

Thanks, and welcome!

Although I am new to TRF, I can't claim being new to UBBs. I have been on other forums before not pertaining to rocketry and am very comfortable using them. ;)

Let me gather some resources together, and I will post a new thread about the camera pod. I would really love to see some more aerial pictures from another rocketeer.

Originally posted by cyberyokel
Yes, I'd like to know about the Advantix too please.

Sure thing! Give me a day or two to compile some resources or perhaps some drawings.

NOTE: I wish I was the first one to think about the aerial camera method I used. I give 100% credit to Ray Dunakin for all of his help and for providing all of the drawings and documentation to build my own camera pod. For those of you that don't know Ray, he his "famous" for his camera pods. You will be blown away at some of the configurations he uses to fly cameras into the sky. You can check out his pictures at the following URL:

https://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=3009006

If you sort through the different albums, you will find the pictures that describe how to build the camera pod.

MORE TO COME!

- Eugene

Back