New Member in Southern Oregon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 45779

Reaction score
I am getting back into model rocketry in my 50s, and it has been since I was 12 or 13 that I flew my last rocket. I was in grade school at Lone Pine Elementary in the 70s when I first saw rockets being launched. I found some kind of cardboard tube at home and cut the end off the broom handle for a nose and some pine kindling for fins and glued it all right on. I took it to school and asked Mr. Nichols if he would launch it. He took a look at this thing and told me to come back after school. What an awesome guy, he wrapped a 1/2A engine with masking tape until it would friction fit into the tube I had used and waited until everyone had gone and he launched it...and it flew! Of course it lawn darted because I knew nothing of recovery systems, but that was the beginning. As more interest grew he started an informal kind of club and we all got Wizards so that was my next rocket. In 7th/8th grade at Hedrick Junior High we had a Wood & Metal class taught by Mr. King where the highlight for most of us was building a rocket from scratch, literally turning the nose cone on a wood lathe, rolling our own body tubes, etc. I had also built a Bullpup 12D that we launched at the same time with the others, and I think that was my last rocket. I recently reconnected with my childhood best friend after about 30 years, and one of the first things he asked me was "do you remember model rockets?" and I was like "heck ya!". Now I have already bought more kits than I can build, just joined the NAR, and looking forward to launch with the Southern Oregon Rocketry NAR #793 this Saturday!

When EUROC resumes flight activities I hope you will venture up to Eugene.
The OROC launches in Brothers Oregon are highly recommended should you be interested is watching or flying HPR projects.

Welcome!

Tell the guys in Eagle Point I said "Hi". Next time I get there, I'll be launching something suitable for the field.

When EUROC resumes flight activities I hope you will venture up to Eugene.
The OROC launches in Brothers Oregon are highly recommended should you be interested is watching or flying HPR projects.
Thanks for the info! We have family in Florence so head up that way fairly often and will look them up. I will probably get into HPR eventually!

Welcome to the forum. That's a great story w your teachers and all! Sounds like the bug has bitten you hard! Wallet beware! :p
Thanks! Ya the wallet has already taken a big hit, I need to stay off eBay because I love the oop/vintage kits. I like your avatar, saw an Andromeda go for $185 on there a few days ago. I am slowly scratch building an Alien Explorer...

Welcome!

Tell the guys in Eagle Point I said "Hi". Next time I get there, I'll be launching something suitable for the field.
Thanks! Will do, they were supposed to launch last Saturday but got rescheduled due to fog.

Thanks! Will do, they were supposed to launch last Saturday but got rescheduled due to fog.
Oh... I remember Rogue Valley fog... Riding on I5 from the airport to Ashland taking 3 hours because it was so thick that you could barely see the tail lights of the car ahead of you. We were traveling so slow that we could practically have walked next to the car. Nowadays though there isn't the smudging that they used to do to keep the pears safe from freezing. I can't believe how many of the worlds best pear orchards have been turned into McMansion type housing :(.

I am getting back into model rocketry in my 50s, and it has been since I was 12 or 13 that I flew my last rocket. I was in grade school at Lone Pine Elementary in the 70s when I first saw rockets being launched. I found some kind of cardboard tube at home and cut the end off the broom handle for a nose and some pine kindling for fins and glued it all right on. I took it to school and asked Mr. Nichols if he would launch it. He took a look at this thing and told me to come back after school. What an awesome guy, he wrapped a 1/2A engine with masking tape until it would friction fit into the tube I had used and waited until everyone had gone and he launched it...and it flew! Of course it lawn darted because I knew nothing of recovery systems, but that was the beginning. As more interest grew he started an informal kind of club and we all got Wizards so that was my next rocket. In 7th/8th grade at Hedrick Junior High we had a Wood & Metal class taught by Mr. King where the highlight for most of us was building a rocket from scratch, literally turning the nose cone on a wood lathe, rolling our own body tubes, etc. I had also built a Bullpup 12D that we launched at the same time with the others, and I think that was my last rocket. I recently reconnected with my childhood best friend after about 30 years, and one of the first things he asked me was "do you remember model rockets?" and I was like "heck ya!". Now I have already bought more kits than I can build, just joined the NAR, and looking forward to launch with the Southern Oregon Rocketry NAR #793 this Saturday!
It looks like there's a lot of us coming back into rockery after decades... I'm one.

welcome Aboard

Back