Motor Plans for a L2 cert at 2023 LDRS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danb

Reaction score
Please excuse the upcoming rambling! I'm trying to wrap my head around what to purchase at next weeks Wildman sale for use next year.

Some background on myself: I've been involved with the hobby for the past 45 years. Almost all of this has been with low power. I've helped host major youth rocketry programs and have assisted in thousands of builds and flight. Personally, I have lots of flight and a lot of quality builds under my belt. For me, the hobby is 80% about the build and 20% about the flights.

More than 10 years ago I was NAR L1. That has expired, so I will need to recert. My goal for the next several months is to build a L2 rocket that will employ electronics to cert at next years LDRS. I'm considering an something like an upscale Arapahoe. Again, for me it's about the quality and technology of the build.

I'd like to get in 5-10 L1 flight before the L2 flight. I've got various L1 rockets ranging from min. diameter birds, LOC & PML rockets, to a Binder Design Velociraptor.

I know this is a very open-ended question, but not knowing specifically what I'll be flying, what would be the most common L1 motors to buy AND a suggestion for a L2 cert motor for a low flight for a 6 pound 4" boattail rocket? I own areotech 38mm hardware, but am open to expanding that as needed.

Final, I realize I can not take possession of these items until I cert. Accommodations have been made.

Thanks in advance.

I thought NAR certs didn't expire...

Regardless, your best bet for a cert motor as you describe is a 38mm baby J. If you already have 38mm Aerotech hardware, you can just add a 38/720 case to your collection if you don't have one already and check out the reloads for it.

I thought NAR certs didn't expire...

Regardless, your best bet for a cert motor as you describe is a 38mm baby J. If you already have 38mm Aerotech hardware, you can just add a 38/720 case to your collection if you don't have one already and check out the reloads for it.
They used to expire...I'm not sure when that changed. If his expired before that change was made, then they might not have any record of his L1. Who knows.

Aerotech 38mm is a great place to be for both L1 and L2 motors. If Wildman is your vendor of choice and/or local vendor, they'd be happy to supply you with the full line of Aerotech 38mm loads and hardware.

I would think a J350W or similar in the 38/720 hardware would make for a wonderful L2 flight at Bong in a 4" rocket such an upscale Arapahoe.

P.S. Bong is my home high power field... I love flying there and I'll see you at LDRS 41!

So I'll answer your literal question first.

It's pretty common to see Aerotech DMS motors for certification attempts where people don't want to invest in cases. For L1, the H115DM and H135W are really common in 29mm and the H219T and H550ST in 38mm. I personally don't really get the popularity of the H550 and why it keeps getting recommended, but there's lots of other threads on that. For L2, the 38mm DMS J270 is often seen.

That said, if you already have the 38mm hardware, you may as well use it and save a few bucks. Any of the loads that fit are great and may be somewhat cheaper than a DMS system. Unless you want to fly the L1 cert on a rocket with a 29mm motor mount for some reason, I'd probably just go with the 38mm reloads all the way. I'd probably choose the H130W or H148R (38/240) for L1 and J350W or J420R (38/720) for L2, but that would also depend on what cases I had available. Any of those will easily lift a 6-lb rocket.

It sounds like you will be flying your L1 cert sometime before LDRS. If that's the case, you can use the opportunity to practice with electronics before your L2 cert flight.

I'm normally a person to push against the general advice of low and slow for cert flights.

This is an exception. While I don't fly at Bong, I have a bunch of friends who do. I've heard that it's pretty much a swamp. I'd suggest keeping the apogee low, using dual deploy, and toss a tracker in for good measure.

Good luck, and I hope to see you fly at LDRS next year.

Back