Lost it :(

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryC

Reaction score
Just recently got back into rocketry after a 40 year break. Due to social distancing, I built 3 rockets before going out for the first time to launch. Unlike when a teenager, I took my time to sand everything smooth with no signs of wood grain. Fins were sanded with nice leading and trailing edges. I built a Semroc Trident, an Estes Nike X and a Estes Black Brant II. The Black Brant II was especially nice when finished. My wife and I went out to make their maiden flights for my birthday. The field was 1000ft by 1000ft with only a very slight breeze. I used the recommended first flight motors; B6-4 for the Trident and Nike X and a D12-5 for the Black Brant II. The B6-4 was really under powered for the Trident as it only went up about 100ft and headed back down with the chute popping out just in time to prevent a terminal velocity impact only about 20ft from the launch pad. The Nike X reached ~400ft and landed about 50ft from the launch pad. The Black Brant II flew straight up like a bat out of hell. We lost sight of it but when the smoke started and the chute came out it looked to be over 1000ft. The wind must have been stronger higher up as it floated and floated away. It appeared to land in a thick scrub brush area. I will be going back tomorrow with my drone to see if I can spot it and if there is a way to get to it. If I don't find it, I think I will build another Black Brant II due to how well it flew.

Photos included and a link to a slow motion video of the launch
Black Brant on pad.jpg
Black Brant in flight.jpg

3 oz rocket on a D12, yikes! Yeah, definitely C11 first flight material. Dunno why it would list the D12 in the instructions; maybe the kit was release when the C11 was off the market?

Also seems crazy to fly a Trident on a B.

Anyway: sorry you lost it, but at least you got two back. If you actually got out to launch rockets you're way ahead of many of the rest of us!

3 oz rocket on a D12, yikes! Yeah, definitely C11 first flight material. Dunno why it would list the D12 in the instructions; maybe the kit was release when the C11 was off the market?

Also seems crazy to fly a Trident on a B.

Anyway: sorry you lost it, but at least you got two back. If you actually got out to launch rockets you're way ahead of many of the rest of us!
Other options may be to

use an 18-24m adapter (bought or easily built) and go with an 18 mm C,

replace chute with streamer, although you may get some fin damage

Cut spill hole or “reef” the chute (also risks fin damage)

I was told to use some sort of beeper to find my rockets back. Maybe you can find a small beeper.

Back