Loki case cleanup

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryg

Reaction score
What is the best method to remove the graphite nozzle from the case after use? Any special tools or tricks to make the process easier?

Terry, I recommend putting a shop towel over the nozzle end of the case before pushing out a nozzle. Sometimes they can fly right out and this will help catch it from slipping through your fingers. After testing when the motor is still hot, often times I just pull the bulkhead out and the entire internals come out as one piece. If the bulkhead comes out by itself, then I put a dowel in the nozzle exit (larger than the throat) and push the nozzle and liner out the head end and onto the grass. The nozzle o-ring helps push out the grease as well.
20240601_170711.jpeg

Animated GIF

Fill the snap ring groove with grease beforehand. Helps stop the ring from sticking in the groove. Use this trick in loading and disassembling.

I remove snap rings, pull the forward closure out, then use a broom handle/dowel with a rubber crutch/cane foot on it to push the nozzle out. The rubber foot helps reduce the chance of damaging the nozzle. Also, the broom handle is plenty long enough for a 76/13000 case.

Back