LexxJet Flying customizations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Red Darren

Reaction score
My LexxJett flew for the first time yesterday. First two flights were on E12-4's.

The flights went well even on a windy day in Georgia with a tight landing window. However, landing on the tailfins first wasn't kind.

A club buddy recommended a parachute mount at the CG with fishing line (running into the nosecone) to make the rocket come down flat.

I rigged this up today and test dropped off my deck. It seems to work very well. I may shrink the parachute for bigger motors going forward as the flat rocket also slows decent.

Has anyone else tried this? Any advise if so?

I'll post some pics later.

I have heard of the method you list but haven't used it myself.

I do have a story about my Lexxjet and a recovery failure. Beautiful flight up, ejection charge blew the NC off and snapped the recovery harness. NC floated down on the attached chute, and the body glided back to earth in a nice circular path. Landed about 100' from the pad :cool: .

If you mount it at the cg then the cg will change if you use other motors.
Why not use a Y harness?
Worked perfectly for me recently on the launch of my Magnum D SR-71 clone.
1713150701869.png

Instructions are here:
https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/cen5349.htm
I used kevlar thread instead of the cotton shroud line in the instructions.
Take precautions against zippering.
Good luck.

Cool idea for the Y harness. The link I saw was for the SR-71 instructions. Did I miss the Y-harness?

Here's a shot of the my LexxJet just about to clear the treeline: IMG_0653.JPG

Back