Launch report: Roachwerks Nike Hercules

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billeblurzz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
What a great day! Saturday I decided to launch the Nike Hercules. It’s been a long time 12 years? since I obtained a kit till I finally got around to finishing it. I has misplaced parts and directions over the years but a couple months ago I got back to it. I did not have a center of gravity chart so I used all the supplied lead weight and still the center was at the transition. The Boyce aerospace model showed its cg up into the sustainer so I added a large washer to the base of the nose cone. This brought the weight up too and I considered 4 D12-3s instead of D12-5s. Thinking I was over analyzing it I went with the D12-5s. Perfect!!DE08AA10-39DA-41C5-8C9A-20AC590F3FA5.jpeg

The Nike Hercules looks just like it did before its first launch. The Hawkeye had a couple problems. The 4 sec delay would have been better. Also I used too small a chute 16" so it would not drift too far. Originally it would launch on f21-4s and the long burn was optimal for slow- higher flight, but they aren't made anymore. The f32 must be a quicker and short burn motor which with the large wing area does not seem to work as well. There is also a LONG kevlar thread for the shock cord the gets tangled with the wings at deployment. The best correction is a short kevlar loop at the top of the body tube with a long- wide elastic shock cord out to the nose cone. I've done this on other large winged rockets and it works well...just did not do this to the Hawkeye. :rolleyes: So it came down hard and cracked a wing....only cosmetic and easily repaired.

Thanks for the reply Billie, I use the F32-6 exclusively on my Interceptor-E. Perfect motor for it and perfect delay. It screams off the pad as
Daddyisabar can attest. I had one tangle up and fortunately it did not impede chute deployment. Just wrapped the cord around the wing pod. Keep-em flying!

I need to build my Roachwerks Herc yet. For reliability I was thinking single core 29mm motor though. maybe single 29mm with some 13mm outers for effect at most. You thoughts?

Thanks for the reply Billie, I use the F32-6 exclusively on my Interceptor-E. Perfect motor for it and perfect delay. It screams off the pad as
Daddyisabar can attest. I had one tangle up and fortunately it did not impede chute deployment. Just wrapped the cord around the wing pod. Keep-em flying!

I need to build my Roachwerks Herc yet. For reliability I was thinking single core 29mm motor though. maybe single 29mm with some 13mm outers for effect at most. You thoughts?
Anything other than four 24mm motors in the Roachworks Hercules would simply be...a Travesty! Showing up with a single 29mm composite would call for a drum head trial and the Cat o' nine tails!

I emailed back and forth with Gordon on the use of a 29mm. Here was his thought on the subject.

"I fly mine a D12-3's but I have flown it once on an E30-4. I don't think an E9-4 Estes motor will lift it with all the nose weight. It's 24mm but you can convert it to 29mm but it will need more nose weight. The nose cone is hollowed out quite a bit so there is plenty of room for bb's. The model to be stable has to balance about 1" down from the top of the body tube!"

Gordy

So I have to give it some thought, Sim work and maybe a prayer.

Kidagain

My mindsim gives a 404 error with a single 29mm! Blue screen of death! No DOS prompt to be found. I will rescue the glorious kit from a hack job 29mm conversion!

Too many LS conversions these days! An LS in a Porsche, sacrilegious!

I agree that 4 24mm motors is what this fine kit was built for. With a good power supply clustering Estes Ds has been very successful over the years. Just pick out 4 good black original estes ignitors and you're all set. The d12-5s are the perfect choice for the delay....think the d12-3s would be too early. I don't understand Gordon's CG. Mine balanced out at about the small steering fins on the sustainer with my extra added large washer to the base of the nose cone.

When I got interested in a Nike Hercules, I found an available kit from The Launch Pad...but it used a single 29mm motor....not what I really wanted to do. then I remembered that I had started the Roachwerks years ago and dug it up. I had completely forgotten about it! :rolleyes:

What a great day! Saturday I decided to launch the Nike Hercules. It’s been a long time 12 years? since I obtained a kit till I finally got around to finishing it. I has misplaced parts and directions over the years but a couple months ago I got back to it. I did not have a center of gravity chart so I used all the supplied lead weight and still the center was at the transition. The Boyce aerospace model showed its cg up into the sustainer so I added a large washer to the base of the nose cone. This brought the weight up too and I considered 4 D12-3s instead of D12-5s. Thinking I was over analyzing it I went with the D12-5s. Perfect!!View attachment 455498
Hi there, I’m currently building this same kit. I am curious as to the order you attached the fins and the bottom cardstock plates? It looks like you attached the fins to the booster tubes, painted the tubes olive drab and the fins white, then attached the plates?

I’m going really slow with this thing. Reading through the instructions multiple times, lots of dry fitting. Thanks!

You have it right...I first doubled up the cardstock fin plates so they would hold up to launches...glued fins on...then painted body tubes olive drab. Then its not hard to mask and paint fins and transition white. Lastly I formed the plates to fit and super glued them to fit the tubes and fins. It worked out great and held all together through the launch which was awesome!

Let's see your progress!
I did a couple post here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/what-did-you-do-rocket-wise-today.48649/post-2151913
and another:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/install-a-motor-hook-for-any-motor-length.166396/post-2138972
Basically, I have the booster section assembled, and the fins airfoiled. I still need to skin the fins with the cardstock, and I've just started working on shaping the transition. It's slow going, but enjoying the build.

You have it right...I first doubled up the cardstock fin plates so they would hold up to launches...glued fins on...then painted body tubes olive drab. Then its not hard to mask and paint fins and transition white. Lastly I formed the plates to fit and super glued them to fit the tubes and fins. It worked out great and held all together through the launch which was awesome!
Did you cardstock skin the fins? I don’t see any other way, as the fins are extremely delicate after sanding a airfoil shape.

Yes I did cardstock the fins.

Papering balsa fins improves their strength, tremendously so.
In fact, papered fins were the only bits that survived unscathed when my 18mm MMT Roachwerks Nike Hercules failed to eject its chute and had loan-darted :(.
Balsa transition piece did not do so well:
RoachWerks Nike-Herc 2.jpg

RoachWerks Nike-Herc 4.jpg

BTW, all 4 motors lit perfectly fine, but the ejection charges must have fired in a staggered sequence and did not produce enough pressure to eject the nose cone.

Last edited:
Papering balsa fins improves their strength, tremendously so.
In fact, papered fins were the only bits that survived unscathed when my 18mm MMT Roachwerks Nike Hercules failed to eject its chute and had loan-darted :(.
Balsa transition piece did not do so well:
View attachment 471317

View attachment 471318

BTW, all 4 motors lit perfectly fine, but the ejection charges must have fired in a staggered sequence and did not produce enough pressure to eject the nose cone.
That’s really painful to look at! What motors were you using?

That's a good looking model!
Four D12s would put you in F territory which is pretty substantial for a rocket of that size. Clusters are a lot of fun, many years ago I flew an Estes Ranger on 3 18mm motors many times with no problems.

Back