Intro Post!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alright, so I started building rockets during COVID and had my first launch last month. I don't have any place to paint them, so we're flying naked. I got L1 on my first launch and shooting for L2 on my second. Been reading the Handbook of Model Rocketry and loving that, but looking for some more practical experience here. Like, how do you mount a gps tracker or altimeter in a rocket with no payload bay, or with, but without dd.

I saw y'all like pics, so I'm posting some options for our next launch this upcoming weekend.

Cluster Duck
IMG_1576.jpeg

Rotary Revolution
IMG_1584.jpeg

Slo-Mo
IMG_1583.jpeg

Arreaux
IMG_1582.jpeg

Zephyr
IMG_1581.jpeg

Avion
IMG_1580.jpeg

Darkbird
IMG_1579.jpeg

18mm rear eject
IMG_1577.jpeg

SkyMetra
IMG_1578.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1583.jpeg
    IMG_1583.jpeg
    284.6 KB · Views: 6
Welcome. I don't know of a way of mounting a tracker without some kind of bay. Can be in the booster, payload, NC, AV bay.

For rockets with plastic nose cones, I cut a door in the NC shoulder, insert a piece of foam pipe insulation in the NC, and put the tracker in there. Tape over the door and voila.

For large rockets, I put the tracker in a pill bottle, duct tape the lid on, and duct tape the whole thing to a recovery harness. Cool rockets. Hope you find a place to paint!

No personal experience here, but from the Eggtimer website:

(Tracker) "The Eggfinder Mini ... It’s so small that you can easily wrap it up in a Nomex “burrito” and attach it to your shock cord… no special sled necessary. "

(Altimeter) "The Eggtimer ION ... it’s easy to add flight data logging to just about any rocket. It’s easy to wrap up into a small chute protector with the battery."

Back