Grinner Knot: Good for Securing a Line to a Snap Swivel’s Ring

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockrwood

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have been practicing tying a “Grinner” knot onto snap swivels using 100 pound, braided kevlar line.

I like this knot for tying onto the ring on a snap swivel. It should also work on any similar tie-on point, such as a screw eye or nose cone eyelet.

I like this knot for tying onto a ring shaped object because:

*Easy to tie
*Not too bulky (sort of longish but not too fat)
*Strong
*A load on the standing end or tag end or both tightens the knot. The knot gets tighter when you pull on the line on either side of the knot
*The knot tightens down onto the ring object like a noose but does not untighten easily

Downside: This knot won’t work if you need a “loop” of a certain size. There are other knots that make a fixed loop, if that is what you want.

The Grinner knot is a fishing knot, so it is not surprising that it works well with the fishing snap swivels we use in model rockets.

F48E9260-FC57-4A4D-9536-AD6442905F6B.jpeg

033944F6-6BF4-426F-A092-F84447507C44.png

Looks interesting, I'll have to try it.
The subject of knots will take you into a big rabbit hole. I used to use the Bowline knot but it doesn't tighten down well with kevlar line. I put a dab of yellow glue on it to hold it. I've been using the double bowline and it seems to tighten up a little better. I've seen the Palomar knot recommended but haven't tried it yet, this one looks good too.

Back