Going for the "no design" rocket.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGerringer

Ruler of Heck
Reaction score
"This is a heads up launch!"

My son Jonathan is going for the "no design" rocket. He made a rocket with pieces and parts and paper towel rolls. He did it all himself except I'm going do a few things to make sure everything is safe and doesn't kill anyone. Adding fillets, etc. But here is a pic:

https://scooby.cybergatetech.com/Pictures/img_1167.jpg

You might notice, pieces of my Mustang 2. The fins, the motor mount, and launch lug (only found one so I will have to make another one), all from the Mustang. The nose cone is leftover from Mean Machine 2. The rest is Bounty. :) Anyway, he is trying to prove that a rocket doesn't need to be designed to fly. Well, we shall see.

The more I watched him, the more I started questioning the fact that I don't know if you can make a rocket without design. (So Milo, you might be right) For example, is adding fillets for stability part of designing? Is the fact that he made sure the fins were straight and equal distance from each other constitute design? Anyway, hopefully we will see next rocket launch. I will definitely be building a bunker. He wants to put a G in it. :D

No a rocket doesn't have to be 'designed' to fly well. However, you need to use construction techniques applicable to the type of rocket, motor impulse etc. You also should perform some check on its stability (which could even involve experience).

In my opinion, design is any any and all advance planning on a rocket. However, I have also heard the term 'real time design', which involves doing the design in 'real time' as something is being built.

Oh, fillets generally only help stability to the extent that they keep the fins on, and without one it will most likely not be. And they can hurt it by adding weight in the back of the rocket.

I have certainly tried some goofy designs myself. I wouldn't put a G in it unless you are comfortable with its stability and construction. If you don't know what this means, you probably shouldn't try it. You can try flying it 'solo' or take it to a launch and let an experienced RSO look at it.

Good luck and be safe!

We will definitely be safe... You can trust me, a G will not be launched. No way, no how. My plan (course, my son wont like it) is to try a D first, E second. Then retire the rocket.

Phil the Gerringer would retire a rocket? If you actually do that, I would probably die of shock.

I'm betting that as long as it can fly, it will fly.

"Oh, I think it's safe for one more."

And one more, and one more, and one more.......

Back