• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Centuri - Chuter Two (KC-16 or #5076) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foamy

Reaction score
The nose cone that comes in the kit is not a faithful reproduction of the original 'Chuter II's, so I didn't worry too much when I added strakes to the fins on this one—kinda like the Payloader II's, but a bit longer.

For some reason, this was a hard model to photograph.

Last edited:
Helluva nicely done kit. I would think more people would chime in on your super clean execution. I was kicking around getting this kit; now, seeing yours, I want one. Well done:D

Hey, thanks. It was a good kit and a nice build (for me, at any rate). Having it to do over again, I probably would just build it stock and/or get the original style nose cone. I did that fin thing on a whim.

The nose cone that comes in the kit is not a faithful reproduction of the original 'Chuter II's, so I didn't worry too much when I added strakes to the fins on this one—kinda like the Payloader II's, but a bit longer.

ChuterII.png

For some reason, this was a hard model to photograph.

Was this a Centuri kit or a clone from another company?

Welcome to the Centuri Chuter Two (KC-16 or #5076) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Centuri Chuter Two (KC-16 or #5076) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Centuri: Chuter Two: KC-16 or #5076
Estes: Chuter Two: #3009

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Centuri Chuter Two (K-16 or #5076) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

Chuter 2, Chuter II, Chuter Two

K-16 or #5076

Introduced: 1967
Final Year: 1971
Designer:

Type: Payload
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 18.5"
Diameter: 0.908"
Span:
Weight: 1.0 oz

Mfg. Description: A terrific high performance bird! This sleek-trim model is an excellent starter kit and a challenging one for the experienced pro. The 3" long cone capsule will carry your insect or instrument payload to well over 1500 feet altitude. The Chuter-Two contain 2 colorful parachutes - - one to recover the cone capsule and the other to recover the main body. (Centuri 1967 Catalog)

=====

1968 Catalog text identical to 1967 Catalog

=====

A terrific high performance bird! This sleek-trim model is an excellent starter kit and a challenging one for the experienced pro. The 3" long cone capsule will carry your insect or instrument payload to well over 1500 ft. altitude. The CHUTER-2 contain two colorful parachutes - - one to bring back the payload capsule, and one to return the main body. (Centuri 1969 Catalog)

=====

A real high performance bird, this sleek model is an excellent starter kit. The CHUTER 2 features a 3" long capsule to carry your payloads to lofty altitudes. The CHUTER 2 includes two colorful parachutes - one to bring back the payload capsule and one to return the main body - safely. (Centuri 1971 Catalog)

centuri-chuter%202-1967%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1967 Catalog
centuri-chuter%202-1968%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1968 Catalog
centuri-chuter%202-1969%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1969 Catalog
centuri-chuter%202-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1971 Catalog

centuri-chuter%202-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Was this a Centuri kit or a clone from another company?

It's an Estes re-do of the Centuri version. They kept the name and same styling, but gave it a conical nose cone. I don't know why.

By the way... you do a bang-up job on this gallery and I really appreciate it. It's my favorite place to visit at TRF. Thanks!

Helluva nicely done kit. I would think more people would chime in on your super clean execution. I was kicking around getting this kit; now, seeing yours, I want one. Well done:D

How'd this one get by me? Good looking build and rocket.

It's an Estes re-do of the Centuri version. They kept the name and same styling, but gave it a conical nose cone. I don't know why.

By the way... you do a bang-up job on this gallery and I really appreciate it. It's my favorite place to visit at TRF. Thanks!

Thanks.

I appreciate the kind words.

Estes Chuter Two (#3009) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

Chuter Two

Introduced: 2010
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 18.5"
Diameter: 0.98"
Span:
Weight: 1.2 oz

Mfg. Description: DESC

estes-chuter%20two-2010%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2010 Catalog

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
How'd this one get by me? Good looking build and rocket.
Hey, thanks B. When I get a finished one, I just slip it in the gallery.

Speaking of finishes, that is one of my better ones, though, you can't tell from the photo. I need better photography skills and/or a better camera. I refuse to retouch any rocket photos (meaning the rocket itself)—I will, quickly play with the backgrounds when/if I feel the inclination or I feel the original background detracts too much from the rocket. Nothing very heavy or serious.

Last edited:
I got one of these in the Estes "box o' kits"...always liked the Centuri version as a kid, not sure why I never bought one. The fin planform is attractive to me, for some reason, and like foamy, adding the strakes like the PLII would be cool, but I stuck with the stock kit.

DSC_5671.jpg

Good looking rocket.

I kinda regret not building it stock—your's looks great! I may give it another shot one of these days; build it as it was planned and get a Centuri-shaped NC for it. In this world of swept-fin rockets, that design has a certain cache that's grown on me. Again, real nice work.

Good looking rocket.

I kinda regret not building it stock—your's looks great! I may give it another shot one of these days; build it as it was planned and get a Centuri-shaped NC for it. In this world of swept-fin rockets, that design has a certain cache that's grown on me. Again, real nice work.

Thanks, to me the fins are reminiscent of the Cherokee-D another of my favs...

I missed the Chuter-Two on the first go-round with the Estes sale, so I had to wait until the Easter sale to pick a couple up. This is a great looking take on an old Centuri bird. Not an exact replica, but still worth a look.

The black stripe decals fit over the fins just right so I thought they looked better as racing stripes there, instead of all black fins.

Then I added skulls, crossed pistols and black flames as custom laser decals. Crossed pistols, get it? "Shooter Two?" No? :)

Chuter2 (1).jpgChuter2 (2).JPGChuter2 (3).JPGChuter2 (4).jpg

And everything looks better with skulls and black flames! :point:

Last edited:
image.jpg

This Chuter Two is also a SPEV (spare paint elimination vehicle) finishing up some rattle cans left over from other stuff. In order to fit the Estes altimeter in the payload section I would have to cut off part of the bottom of the nose cone to make room, just a tad too short for it.

Last edited:
20160305_094256.jpgSnapshot 2 (5-21-2016 9-11 PM).png
This is my Chuter-2. On the maiden flight I lost the "payload section" despite the 3 inch spill hole. . Estes ran out of these just days before I places a bunch of orders for new rockets. If I ever do get a hold of another I will paint it with the recommended paint scheme and tie the shock cord to the loop for a more standard and safer recovery and just have a back up 12 inch chute.

Here is a video of that launch. https://youtu.be/O5Bqmn_6UBg

IMG_3753_crop.jpg

This is the Estes version from the 2013 Estes sale.

Attachments

• IMG_3755_small.jpg
    IMG_3755_small.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 0
Back