attn Lee Reep re:Duplicolor Mirage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That paint rocks! The colors come out much better in the light of day. That rocket's gonna be awesome!

And thanks for the tip on the buffing. So the bottom coat is more than just the run of the mill flat black?

Thanks... I can't wait to get it done.

Yeah, the black seems to be a primer with a, um, powdery cover. Not sure that makes sense but you will see what I'm talking about soon. Make sure you let us know how your experience goes.

I have an update guys....

I bought 2 more of the Mirage kits so that I would have enough for the rest of the L3. The nose cone was the next on the list to paint. I sanded the nosecone nice and smooth. 3 coats of black primer. Then sanding. Then I used the color coat I had left over. 1 coat, 2 coat, crud. Ran out. So I went to the first new kit. Shake, shake, shake. Went to spray, no color or metal came out. So I shook and shook, still no joy. I went to the third kit. Same result. I must have a bad batch. I mean I shook both until my arm about fell off. Luckily my friend replaced them with a new batch. This time the new color coats worked. Not as good as the first can but it covered quite well. Except: (there always has to be an exception) there is a 2 inch wide section that spans from nosecone to aft section that seems to be completely different from the rest. Not sure how that happened but it looks like, just in that area, the colors are almost reversed. Strange huh? It may have had something to do with humidity cause the clear coat would cloud when added and then clear up.

Moral to the story: this paint is very sensitive.... :)

Agreed! I finished my Fat Cat Hypersonic (pictures will be on EMRR soon) and the first two steps went fine but the clear cut sputter and spat and basically ran down my hand. I changed the nozzle and that let the spray go okay, but it still ran down my hand!

I'm taking mine back to Wally.

Nick

Disturbing news guys. I was wondering, is there a date or lot code on your kits? I'll look at mine (yet unused) later today.

Thanx and sorry to heat about the problems.

Oooo, Nick. Now that you mention it, my clear coat was also running down my hand. It did spray enough to get a good covering over the nose cone though. Hmmm, time for an organized letter to the Mirage manufacturer.

I couldn't find a lot number. I guess it is the luck of the draw.

Like, we must all be having a bad kharma thing going on.

I have painted two rockets recently, and problems with both. And, from cans I used a week ago, with no problems. Little globs of paint thrown out at the last minute, right on top of an otherwise pristine job.

I'm totally bummed ... :(

Seeing the closeup of the Mirage green reminds me to mention Rustoleum's metallic paint. I hadn't heard of it, or maybe just never looked closely. I tend not to buy Rustoleum, but the Vincia rocket plans in Sport Rocketry showed the rocket painted with Cobalt Blue metallic. I used this two weeks ago (when it was warm, now its snowing again!). Goes on really nice. Dries fast. I had three coats on in about an hour or so, although I think it can be recoated about every 10 minutes.I also found black metallic. Went to another store, and they had greem metallic and gold. haven't tried these, but the green looks similat to the Duplicolor.

So, if you like metallics, and don't want to go all out for the Mirage paint, these colors are nice (and ~$4 per can). They are heavy enough to not require silver undercoats, like some metallics and candy colors.

Question for all who have tried the Mirage paint:

What types of primer did you use?

I might be able to find this info on your web sites, or the previous posts, bu thought I'd just ask. I started using Krylon sandable primer and suspect I'll be fine. Just wondered if anyone else had used this under the Mirage.

Muchos gracias in advance!

I use the same as I always use: Plastic Kote Sandable Primer

Nick

Actually, the black paint in the kit is a primer. However, I found it better to use the Krylon sandable primer to get it smooth and then the black to do the finishing priming.

I find lately that Rustoleum makes a more sandable primer than Krylon, so when I get finished with my current level 3 project I'm moving back to Rustoleum.

Thanks for the input guys! Phil, I remembered the discussion about the black primer coat, but agreed with you that I wanted to use an undercoat. Just wanted to see if anyone had used Krylon. Thanks!

I always found the Krylon primer to be not particularly sandable (at least ~5 years ago), and it's expensive. Also, I think Krylon tended to gum up sandpaper. It may be I just did not let it dry long enough.

I've been using Kmart primer (Fresh 'n Easy) for quite awhile, and it's cheap. It used to go on sale for 77 cents a can, but I think it's still not much more than a dollar a can. And is dries fast, and sands off really easily.

I believe it is made by Dutch Boy, since Kmart also sold Dutch Boy as a "premium" paint. A little more expensive, and included a fan nozzle (rotatable).

Near as I could tell, they were same paint. I haven't been back to buy any in awhile, since I stocked up the last time. But the price is right, it dries super fast (~15 minutes and you can sand it), and the stuff sands very easily.

I gots to remember to try some K-Mart primer/paint....before they totally go out of business :(

Martha Stewart will rescue them. And, the good news: We can be more stylish when we use her brand of primer ...

Ooh, maybe we will get some lively, Spring colors, too!

:)

Back