Anduril Roadrunner

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Upper and Lower Shrouds

I fired up the CAD station and made a study drawing of the body to determine the front and rear chord lengths of the shrouds. Then it was an easy matter of transferring those dimensions to a piece of BT-80H tubing, and then cutting them out with some shears.​

Anduril Roadrunner Study Drawing.jpg
002.JPG 003.JPG004.JPG 005.JPG

Last edited:
Shroud Internal Stabilizer Supports

I installed a couple of 1/16" basswood supports inside of the shrouds to give the vertical stabilizers a double wall attachment for gluing.​
001.JPG003.JPG

Composite Motor

As much as I hate to do it, I've redesigned a new motor mount to use a single 24mm composite motor. I'm not up for rolling the dice on the exploding Estes D12 24mm BP motors.​
I was just looking forward to all the smoke and thrust flames from dual D12's... :(
I still have the dual 24mm motor mount... maybe after she's flown a few times I'll use BP.​
2024-04-30 Roadrunner Simulation 3D Finished E30-4.jpg2024-04-30 Roadrunner Simulation Photo Studio E30-4.jpg

Oh No! Turn in your Estes Fan Boy card! A single, safe, reliable, powerful, cool composite motor when you could use two, inefficient, expensive, complex cluster Estes exploders? Where is your sense of adventure? Are you now some sort of reasonable rocket scientist? Safe and sound with the Sheeple. The Lone Wolf going soft? SAY IT AIN'T SO! ;)

Vertical Stabilizers

I cut the thru-the-wall slots and started gluing the vertical stabilizers. Started with the outside fillets... let the dry for a few hours...​

001.JPG 002.JPG
And then filled the void with wood glue....​
003.JPG 004.JPG

Last edited:
Air Intakes

Went with BT-20 for the air inlets. I cut them to fit over the 1/4" plywood, trimmed them to match up to the shrouds and then glued in a couple B6 motors cut down to 1/2" long. Used some spring clips, toothpicks and thumb tacks to hold them in place and then applied wood glue everyplace that was accessible.​

001.JPG 002.JPG004.JPG 005.JPG006.JPG 007.JPG008.JPG 009.JPG

Last edited:
Single 24mm Motor Mount - Day 02

Added the Ejection - Parachute Protection Ring and fireproofed the inside with some wood glue.​

003.JPG 004.JPG

Last edited:
Carpenters Wood Filler

Applied a liberal amount of CWF to the wings, wing fillets and the air inlets.​
This little rockets is amazingly strong. 💪

001.JPG 002.JPG

Last edited:
Always like the double launch lugs.

Love things that serve two purposes in one, in this case launch lug and pew pew guns (or were these actually ON the actual device?)

.... or were these actually ON the actual device?
Unique to my rocket... well... kind of. The actual Anduril Roadrunner does have 4 pop out landing legs that stow away into the body.​
I was hoping I could snake the launch rod up through the crevice between the shrouds and the body, but that billy club shaped nose cone got in the way.​

Roadrunner Alt.jpg Roadrunner Leg.jpg

Last edited:
Swing Tests

I did a swing test without the nose weight... Verdict: Unstable​
Interesting how the rocket wanted to rise vertically into the wind, and then dive down with the wind.​

Then did a 2nd test with the nose weight... Verdict: Stable​

Back