Analyzing onboard footage with abnormalities

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did my first dual deploy flight this weekend, and have been combing over the onboard footage (120fps from a RunCam2 4k). Its a stock Apogee Katana on a J270W.

Three things from the video:

First, the video only goes up to a second or so before the main deploys, I think the shock from that ejection jostled the battery, others have mentioned similar problems with the runcam (https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/acceleration-limit-of-camera-runcam2-troubles.156661/). I might look at soldering the battery on or otherwise better securing it.

Second, the nomex blanket seems to rip. That blanket didn't have a grommet, just a little reinforcing stitching. and I wasn't super careful about the way I tied it on, but I'm still kind of surprised by this. Looking at the frames, you can see there is some flame continuing to burn _inside_ the nomex after ejection, so I'm wondering if it burned. Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 10.29.25.pngNote the orange wires are ejection charge wires, not the shock cord, so by this picture it is already detached from the shock cord, but you can still see it illuminated from within:
Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 10.30.38.pngAnd a few frames later you can see it fully detached, with what looks like a crescent shaped tear where it was tied on
Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 10.31.28.png

The third strange thing (you may have already noticed) is that the backup ejection charge seems to go off at the right time (apogee+1), but it looks like the bare e-match sparking, without the powder! Or maybe just a little bit of powder. I had the charges in centrifuge tubes, extra space packed with dog barf and latched closed, but not taped or anything. Has anyone had primary charges "blowing apart" their backup charges? It seems like if this happened and the primary charge didn't work, it would have made both charges fail to work. Does that look like a correct reading of these frames?
Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 10.40.13.png

I did my first dual deploy flight this weekend, and have been combing over the onboard footage (120fps from a RunCam2 4k). Its a stock Apogee Katana on a J270W.

Three things from the video:

First, the video only goes up to a second or so before the main deploys, I think the shock from that ejection jostled the battery, others have mentioned similar problems with the runcam (https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/acceleration-limit-of-camera-runcam2-troubles.156661/). I might look at soldering the battery on or otherwise better securing it.

Second, the nomex blanket seems to rip. That blanket didn't have a grommet, just a little reinforcing stitching. and I wasn't super careful about the way I tied it on, but I'm still kind of surprised by this. Looking at the frames, you can see there is some flame continuing to burn _inside_ the nomex after ejection, so I'm wondering if it burned. View attachment 642129Note the orange wires are ejection charge wires, not the shock cord, so by this picture it is already detached from the shock cord, but you can still see it illuminated from within:
View attachment 642130And a few frames later you can see it fully detached, with what looks like a crescent shaped tear where it was tied on
View attachment 642132

The third strange thing (you may have already noticed) is that the backup ejection charge seems to go off at the right time (apogee+1), but it looks like the bare e-match sparking, without the powder! Or maybe just a little bit of powder. I had the charges in centrifuge tubes, extra space packed with dog barf and latched closed, but not taped or anything. Has anyone had primary charges "blowing apart" their backup charges? It seems like if this happened and the primary charge didn't work, it would have made both charges fail to work. Does that look like a correct reading of these frames?
View attachment 642136

You seem to have a lot of the orange e-match wire hanging out the rear of the electronics bay. Were the charges in centrifuge tubes secured to the avionics bay plates, or just loose in the tube? If they are loose in the tube, its possible that one charge may have broken apart the other.

My .02

They were loose in the tube, so its possible they ended up right up against each other, that definitely sounds possible. One reason I usually keep those wires long is so I can put the charges aft of the parachutes, so it pushes everything out, rather than only relying on the chute being pulled out. But not sure if that is needed.

They were loose in the tube, so its possible they ended up right up against each other, that definitely sounds possible. One reason I usually keep those wires long is so I can put the charges aft of the parachutes, so it pushes everything out, rather than only relying on the chute being pulled out. But not sure if that is needed.
I would recommend getting some charge wells attached directly to the bulkhead, then ground test for validation.

Back