Altimeters vs. GPS?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...FWIW, This may be evidence that barometric altimeters are affected, not only by aerodynamic processes at the static ports, but also by acceleration. (Or maybe everyone knew that. I always suspected it...)
Baro sensors are actually cousins of accelerometers, so yes, they can be affected by shock. Since they have an open port to the atmosphere, they're also light-sensitive too... you don't want one pointing at one of the vent ports.

Baro sensors are actually cousins of accelerometers, so yes, they can be affected by shock. Since they have an open port to the atmosphere, they're also light-sensitive too... you don't want one pointing at one of the vent ports.
I have subjected baro sensors to 124 G's of launch acceleration without any detectable altitude or pressure variation in the data.
They are very sensitive to light. I paint the interior of my avionics bays flat black to prevent any light reflection reaching the baro sensor.

Tangentially related... I think...

Noticed something interesting in Adrian’s F10 data. Here is a graph of the Blue Raven’s rendering of vertical velocity (BR VY), and also, the numerically-differentiated barometric altitude/time curve (Baro VY). Notice that the barometric curve is above the inertial curve until cutoff, at which point it falls precipitously.

View attachment 644316
Next, I took the sines of the tilt angles (BR Sine), and also the ratio of the BaroVY values (above) and inertial total speeds (ratio labeled BaroSine). Both should estimate trajectory sine. Here’s what I got:

View attachment 644317

Things come together near apogee; however, before that, the barometric sine seems to have an acceleration curve imprinted in it.

FWIW, This may be evidence that barometric altimeters are affected, not only by aerodynamic processes at the static ports, but also by acceleration. (Or maybe everyone knew that. I always suspected it...)
Larry --

I've been pondering your method for deriving tilt angles from inertial -vs- barometric altitude since you shared it with me last year.

I believe you are on to something there.

But in the case of Adrian's F10 flight, could the divergence be due to transonic static port pressure sampling issues ?

These are all the Altitudes I could muster from Adrian's Data Files along with Vertical Velocity from the low_rate file for Adrian's F10 flight:
adrian-f10-C31016-ipd-apogee.png

Legend:

PAlt(u) - uncorrected Barometric Pressure Altitude
DAlt(c) - PAlt corrected for ISA Temperature Lapse Rate and Site Altitude via Richard Nakka's method.
IAlt(c) - Inertial Altitude from the Blue Raven Low Rate file
GPS - GPS Altitude from the Featherweight GPS
VVel - Vertical Velocity from the Blue Raven Low Rate file.

Note that the slopes of the PAlt and DAlt curves begin to diverge from the slopes of GPS Alt and IAlt when the rocket is moving about 800 ft/sec or so.

Also note that DAlt is really just PAlt corrected for Site Altitude, Site Temperature and Temperature Lapse Rate so they SHOULD have the same shape :)

Now look at the same plot for his G12 flight:
adrian-G12-flight-1-ipd-apogee.png
Note that the slopes for the G12 flight also start to diverge at around 800 ft/sec.

Also note that the shoulders on the PAlt and DAlt are shaped like 'classic' transonic static port sampling errors.

I believe in this case, we're seeing an issue with the static port position or geometry.

I do have one Q about your second plot ... how do you calculate a BaroSine value greater than 1 ?

-- kjh

p.s. I found and fixed a bug in my implementation of Nakka's DAlt calculation after my posts #32 and #39 so the DAlts will be different here.

And after pondering Adrian's post #35 about calculated IAlt in the Blue Raven Low Rate file, I've decided to 'trust Adrian' and use IAlt from the Low Rate File so the IAlts are also different :)

EDIT: Never mind ...

Last edited:
I had 3 flights over the weekend of my own hybrids which I intentionally run crazy unstable. I'm still developing my own flight electronics, so there was a bug in the code of the backup timer and they all deployed prematurely (just as well for the L flight) from that backup timer. Nevertheless, I was impressed with the correlation between the Ublox M9N and the MS5611 Baro sensor.

J_Hybrid_Flight_GNSS_vs_Baro_4-5-24.png

J_Hybrid_Flight_GNSS_vs_Baro_5-5-24.png

L_Hybrid_4-5-24_GNSS_vs_Baro_Entire_Flight.png

L_Hybrid_4-5-24_Accel_vs_GNSS_vs_Baro_to_apogee.png

TP
That's beautiful data @rocket_troy !

Do you have pics or better yet, videos of your flights ?

One correction: the MM/DD in your dates are reversed :) :) :)

-- kjh

Back