3D Printing 3D Printable Estes 2021 Christmas Ornament

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMacDaddy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This is an approximate design of the Estes Ornament sized to allow a mini engine to be installed. I saw people posting about launching their ornament and figured why not keep the ornament and launch a 3D printed model. Detachable nose cone and enough space (maybe) for a streamer.

Consider this a novelty with no guarantees since I have not built or launched this. I roughly modeled this in Open Rocket and it seemed like 5 or so grams of weight in nose would make this stable (however, OR does not do pods so I cannot exactly model this).

Two versions included -- 1st is fully 3D printed with fins 1.25mm thick (should print in 3 layers w/ a .4mm nozzle). Other version slotted to allow wood fins to be attached -- I would recommend 1.5mm or 2mm thin-ply but 2mm balsa might work also (slotted for 1.85mm which is tight on the 2mm stock I have with my printer). This version includes templates for fin parts. Need to glue a launch lug of some type to whichever version you want to launch.

Free download here: https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/estes-christmas-ornament-2021
1640299738128.png

FWIW - I tried to sim this as best I could in OR (not totally accurate weight / CG or CP since I cannot model pods in OR). However, as a sanity check it was stable with 5 grams or so in nose...

1640308202500.png

Back