Shelf life of epoxy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kandsrockets

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the shelf life of US Composites epoxy is. I have a half gallon of 635 that is over 2 years old and was wondering if it is still good to use. It has been stored in a cabinet in my office so it has never been below 63 degrees and the containers are sealed (I always put lids back on and tape with electrical tape).

Found some tubed epoxy (manf. ?) Must of been 6 years old that worked and acted fine. Maybe a little discolored. Was used for bonding parts not glassing.

3 month guarantee, after that mix and test a small amount. - Info. was found on their website.

Thanks. I will have to mix some up tomorrow and see how it works. Hate to layup a tube that ends up in the trash.

I have used epoxy that is quite old and it seemed to work fine. I had an old can of resin and it seemed to be very thick and didn't mix well with the hardener. I thought old age had ruined it. I went and bought a new can of resin and it was barely better. It was still hard to mix. The epoxy wasn't real thick once mixed. It just took a while to get it mixed. I never noticed any issues with the durability of the old epoxy once cured.

I will say I won't use that brand again. I will try something else the next time.

I had a can of West System epoxy hardener or resin at one time that had frozen in my garage. I called someone and they said it would be just fine other than the color change from freezing.

If it's cloudy (not discolored, cloudy), I'd toss it.

If it's just dark, but still clear, then it should be fine.

-Kevin

Everything still looks good and the consistency looks like it did when I got it. It is not cloudy and it is not darker than it was from new. I will mix some up tomorrow and see how it works. This was stored in a old paint locker that I have in my office, so it was not in the light.

Scott, I have some over a year old. The hardener is darker and slightly thicker, but still sets great and is strong.

Well I mixed some up and did 2 layer of 6 oz glass on the inside of a 4" coupler that was sitting on the bench. We will see in the morning how it all turns out.

I work in the factory that invented the stuff. Realy they did!
The smart guys say your good so long as water didn't get in it.

Guess I better use up my US Composite stuff..Going on almost 2 years for my stuff here as well..:eek:

I was shocked about a month ago when I 'thought about' doing a build..I grabbed a set of epoxy bottles(Great Planes brand IIRC) to use- 5 minute stuff..And the hardener had turned to rock in the sealed bottle!:eyepop: I said a few choice words and tossed the set knowing I had another in a box in the living room that I had gotten not more then 2 months ago..Went and opened the package and the hardener in that package was as hard as a rock as well! Weird..Guess rule of thumb with the 'hobby' 5 and 12 minute stuff is use it as soon as you get it, I guess...

I have the 3:1 US Composite set, 1Gallon resin... Bought it at least two years ago, went through Arizona summers/winters in the garage.
I just dug out the box of all my 'glassing stuff, did a couple of test pumps to get the pumps reprimed, then did a test cup...
Was cured up just fine the next day. Hardener is a bit darker than it was originally, but neither is cloudy.

R

Epoxy is all good. The glass I put in the coupler setup just like it did when I bought the stuff. Glad it is good since there is between a 1/2 and 3/4 of a gallon left. Now I can roll a couple tubes this weekend for our Nike-X project.

Back