Estes - S.P.E.V. gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishhead

Huge Member
Reaction score
After admiring this oddity for a long time, I finally broke down and ordered the parts from BMS. The masking was a PITA, but it really did turn out looking nice. I've since built a 24mm powered clone and a Semroc kit.

EstesSPEVatVOA.jpg

I just finished this Semroc version of the SPEV. I converted it to 24mm power, hoping to use C11s or possibly a D. My model came out at a whopping 4.2 ounces, including some weight I added to the nose (.3 oz) to compensate for the heavier motors. Since the top half of the rocket is huge, I made a shock cord rig to bring it down on its own parachute with the "booster" section on a separate chute. It remains to be seen if this scheme will work, or if I create the proverbial rats' nest.

The SPEV was enjoyable to build and finish even though I simplified the paint masking scheme a little. It does look impressive standing (unflown) in my son's bedroom. Just waiting for a calm day to fly it.

SPEV 2 fixed.jpg

Corbins room- fixed.jpg

Back