May Best Rocket Competition

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
This is the official location of The Rocketry Forum Best Rocket Competition. This is a monthly event to show off your "stuff" and find out who has THE BEST ROCKET OF THE MONTH! When entering, make sure you follow the criteria listed below and you will do fine. From the 21st(or thereabouts) until the end of the month we'll be polling to see who should win the Best Rocket Competition.

Da Rulez

1. Header of picture must include, name, what kit or was it custom, LPR, MPR or HPR.
2. A BRIEF description of rocket details. Anything that would make it apparent to somebody that yours is THE BEST.
3. Only ONE entry per month.
4. No extended off topic conversations.
5. Rockets made at any period of time may be used.Preferably one that is STILL in your fleet at the time of the competition!
6. Rocket may be entered into the competition only ONE time!
7. If there is a monthly specified type of contest (such as red, white and blue themed), you can only enter rockets that are applicable.
8. Entries will be taken first 3 weeks of month and after the 21st of every month the contest closes.
9. The last week of the month will be polling on who should win in each class.
10. Winners get bragging rights for a month!

THEME
The theme for this month? Super easy! ANYTHING needing decals! This can be rockets that have been painted or rockets that have not been painted. Any variety of either.

PRIZE(S)
Mark from Sticker Shock is putting up a nice prize this month! Up to $30 in custom vinyl decals or $30 off a preexisting available set!

So, show us your awesome unfinished builds!

Remember detail, details, details! So don't be shy, include extra photos of the little bits that make YOUR model extra special!
If you entry is a kit, let us know who's kit it is!

Perv! :D

Dang it. Mark just sent me some stickers for my last unfinished one. I wonder how fast I can put togeter my last FB?

I may have a few unfinished rockets that need decals...

The only one that I haven't entered into a Best Rocket contest is Running With Scissors, the one on my threads in the Scratch section. It is made of fiberglassed Estes tubes and the nose cone and tail cone is from Apogee. It has a 29mm motor mount and it will be able to fly on anything from a large F to the largest 29mm motors made. It will fly to a mile on an Aerotech I200, but it is only single deploy. (but that doesn't stop me!) Right now the rocket is ready for primer. Believe it or not, the insparation for the design came from an OOP Estes kit, I believe it was the Knight or something like that.

RP 059.jpg

RP 121.jpg

Last edited:
Brian, Very nice scratch built...

Theres got to be more unfinished rockets out there! of course the month is still young!

Sorry guys but I got to BUMP this one up.

Theres got to be more rockets out there that need finishing touches!!!

Post em up, you got nothing to loose. and you could get some free stuff out of it!!

:wave:

Sorry guys but I got to BUMP this one up.

Theres got to be more rockets out there that need finishing touches!!!

Post em up, you got nothing to loose. and you could get some free stuff out of it!!
I'll get mine up soon -- I just need some new pictures. It's a scratch built Alien Invader. :)

Ok, I just hacked off the bottom of the nose cone on my last Fat Boy. This one will have an "E" mount.

I'll get mine up soon -- I just need some new pictures. It's a scratch built Alien Invader. :)

Good choice, That is one of the cooler estes Exotic Rockets!!!

Ok, I just hacked off the bottom of the nose cone on my last Fat Boy. This one will have an "E" mount.

Fat boy fun..... oooooh. My last Fat boy was stock size with 38mm mount.. problem is you cant keep an eye on it so I keep it to single grain "G" motors.

Cant wait to see both of them

Trisk-DE

Flis Kits 167% upscale Triskelion
Scratch Built

NCB-70AD
Fliskits BT70 Baffle
Top Flight 15" Nylon Chute
3/16" Balsa Fins
Color Boyd Grape Pearl
The Name say's it all, motor mount 24 mm D12-5, E9-4,6

This is my first entry sure was a fun build looking forward to getting this cool upscale into the air.

Maiden Flight June 5,2009 at BMR615 "Rolling Thunder"

John

Trisk-DE.JPG

Last edited:
This is my first...
Carbon fiber rocket
Minimum diameter
Surface mounted fins
High temp epoxy

It has come out as near to perfect as any rocket I have ever done.
Now all it needs are the Perfect Decals to finish it off!

It is a Wildman Blackhawk 29mm kit.

100_2646.jpg

Attachments

• 100_2717.jpg
    100_2717.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_2713.jpg
    100_2713.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 0
Here's "Crapien One"...Hopefully this'll get me an L1 at NSL this year.

It's basically the bottom half of a PML Endeavour with modified fins, standard length 54mm Kwik Switch MMT and a 5:1 Ogive glass nosecone from Wildman.

I just thought it turned out cool enough to post here...Sure could use some military vinyl on it though...:blush:

Crapien One 1.jpg

Crapien One 2.jpg

Crapien One 3.jpg

Crapien One 4.jpg

Here are a few pictures of my Level 3 rocket. Its a scratch built 5.5dia. Sandhawk. Its 1 inch under half-scale. These pictures were taken yesturday in my front yard. If for some reason the pictures don't show up here are the links.

https://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/kissarmy887/?action=view&current=001.jpg&newest=1

kissarmy887

This one is of my Fin can.

https://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/kissarmy887/?action=view&current=005.jpg&newest=1

kissarmy887

Emily P.

Trisk-DE

Flis Kits 167% upscale Triskelion
Scratch Built

This is my first entry sure was a fun build looking forward to getting this cool upscale into the air.

Maiden Flight June 5,2009 at BMR615 "Rolling Thunder"

John

Very cool upscale, good luck in June!

This is my first...
Carbon fiber rocket
Minimum diameter
Surface mounted fins
High temp epoxy

It has come out as near to perfect as any rocket I have ever done.
Now all it needs are the Perfect Decals to finish it off!

It is a Wildman Blackhawk 29mm kit.

That aint no 29mm... you should name it "single use rocket" LOL

Here's "Crapien One"...Hopefully this'll get me an L1 at NSL this year.

It's basically the bottom half of a PML Endeavour with modified fins, standard length 54mm Kwik Switch MMT and a 5:1 Ogive glass nosecone from Wildman.

I just thought it turned out cool enough to post here...Sure could use some military vinyl on it though...:blush:

Very cool military missile, it screams "I need markings!!!"

Here are a few pictures of my Level 3 rocket. Its a scratch built 5.5dia. Sandhawk. Its 1 inch under half-scale. These pictures were taken yesturday in my front yard. If for some reason the pictures don't show up here are the links.

Emily P.

Awesome scale rocket! Gene simmons would be proud! ( just because you are in the KISS army) Can we call it "Dr. Love" ?

This is my TLP Saab 372. Since the genuine article never went into production I thought I could take some license with the paint scheme to give it some more visibility. Underneath the red stripes are my version of fin toughening. I apply "Fibatape" fiberglas drywall repair tape from the outer edge of one fin to the root, across the B.T. to the next fin root and out to the edge in one continuous strip. I then paint it with many coats of wood glue and sand it until it's smooth. This really toughens the fins and their attachments.
I finished it last year and it's flown twice, maiden flight was uneventful with a D-12-3. The second flight was much more interesting! Boosting on an AT E-15-4 in breezy conditions it rose to about a hundred feet when a windgust caught it and pushed it over to nearly horizontal. It continued under power rising slightly looking just like a real ground to air missile. The parachutes deployed and it was recovered undamaged.
I think a Swedish Air Force emblem or two and some lettering would give it the finishing touch it needs. Ted

Last edited:
Only a few more days left SO.... BUMP!!

Theres got to be more naked rockets out there than need some decals!!

I've got one more fin to glue, internal fillets, rail buttons, and the aft CR.

I still need to add a layer of fiberglass, but this is a pretty good photo of the bird.

The main/upper body is an octogon, 6 1/2" on a side, 16" in diameter. The lower body is another octogon 4 1/2" on a side and about 11" in diameter. It "stands" (maybe squats is better term) just a tad over 9" tall. It has a 38mm motor mount and a 1/2" pvc lug just off center from the mmt. The internal framing and the top/bottom/central octogons are 1/2" foam board and the skin is 1/4" foam board. There are 3 1/4" plywood "centering rings" for support of the mmt. The final skin will be fiberglass.

I haven't decided on the colors yet . . . so, maybe the grand prize stickers will help me make that decision! :cyclops:

UFO 002_sml.jpg

I've got one more fin to glue, internal fillets, rail buttons, and the aft CR.
you still have time no rush...yet

I haven't decided on the colors yet . . . so, maybe the grand prize stickers will help me make that decision! :cyclops:

That is very cool, I love odd rocks... someone sent me this as a suggestion of decals to offer..... maybe I will be making them in the future. (8 sided)

Sorry for the PDF, to lazy to convert them.

View attachment area 51 2.pdf

View attachment area 51 3.pdf

View attachment area 51 4.pdf

That is very cool, I love odd rocks... someone sent me this as a suggestion of decals to offer..... maybe I will be making them in the future. (8 sided)

Those look pretty cool -- some good ideas. Should be easy to convert to 8-sided . . . right? When I get ready for the finish work, I'll be in touch.

Thanks.

Those look pretty cool -- some good ideas. Should be easy to convert to 8-sided . . . right? When I get ready for the finish work, I'll be in touch.

Thanks.
Yep, I can change anything, I have a few more patterns too. some are really big, so i didn't post them.

What 38mm do you plan on? I'd say that end burner "G" would be a good choice. then punch it hard after that.

I have an H-180 sitting in the garage. I think I will use that with my 29-38mm adapter for the first flight. I have seen video of one of these (a bit larger than mine) fly on an M. So, after the maiden flight I will definately kick it up to an I or J.

Entry Name: (BT-80 Upscale of) Space Transporter America

Description:
I loved the design but the original was too small for my taste, so I upscaled it! I used everything I had already laying around so it was a very inexpensive build. The only challenge was what to do for the corrugated wraps. Going through the hardware store one day I found on clearance the seasonal "brick paper" that some like to use to add a homely touch to their house around the holidays. For 99c I have a large roll--enough to do many corrugated wraps! I made everything an exact upscale, even the frontal wings that are made out of two different thicknesses of balsa (1/16 inch glued to the edge of the main wings' 3/16 thickness for the ailerons). It was a very fun build for me. :)

As you can see it is still awaiting primer, filler, and paint--but it shall be done now that summer is upon us here in Western New York (for at least 2 more days ;) )

STA1.jpg

STA2 (2).jpg

STA2.jpg

Here is mine -- a scratch version of the Estes Alien Invader. The BT is a 30mm heavy-walled tube that fit a 24mm MMT perfectly. The NC will likely be a plastic egg but even that isn't settled yet.

100_0883.jpg

100_0884.jpg

100_0886.jpg

100_0887.jpg

100_0889.jpg

WOW!!!! The competition is getting tough, those are great entries!!!

It's going to be a close one.

Let me throw this out there, anyone that enters this contest (legitimately) and does not win, get 10% off a set of decals if they order them from me after the contest (for the rocket they entered) :y:

Okay, here is my entry. No decals yet and no paint yet.

DSCF0838copy.jpg

OK Figure I'll drop my entry in the hat. I scratch built this clone of the Centuri Super Kit "ESS Raven" It has been painted and awaits decals. I do not know of a "good" scan of the decal sheet on-line anywhere as of now.

Jim

IMG_1302.jpg

WOW! If my math is right and I can count, it looks like we have 11 entries so far! :D This is going to be fun! Oh boy, going to take 2 polls! Polls will be populated by rockets in the order of their entry..Both polls should be weighted the same, meaning those in poll #1 are not any better then those in poll #2..We will take the top vote getter from each poll and have a duel to the finish! Unless of course Mark decides that the top voter getter from the 2 polls are co-winners and awards 2 prizes...I would like to see at leat one more entry to make it an even 12 so the polls are equal!
You have a little less then 24 hours!:D

Back