Fliskits D-Nelson Tomahawk Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
Cold rainy day, so I started the Fliskits "D-Nelson Tomahawk". Cut out the templates,marked the tubes,cut out the 3 smaller tubes and CAed the insides of them and then I can fine sand and clean up the angles,egdes. I used the fin marking guide to slide the CRs against and put a couple drops of CA on them to hold in place.That way I know there square with tube by using the guide.Ill fillet the CRs with wood glue. I do it this way to avoid the mess and trying to eyeball the CRs to see if they are true. While I was doing this I have been putting the FnF to fin balsa stock.Im going to fill and sand the whole piece before cutting out the fins.OH YA I also hit the NC with the CA. Now its time to have dinner . Spaghetti and garlic bread. YUMMY!!

D-Nelson Tomahawk.JPG

D-Nelson Tomahawk1.JPG

D-Nelson Tomahawk2.JPG

You had me at garlic bread...
I cannt believe I ate the whole thing.:y: I manage to get a little more done after stuffing myself. Got the tube ends cleaned up.Sanded the NC and put the fillets on one side of CRs.Started the cone piece.What I did with the cone was,rolled it around the handel of an exacto knife to get basic shape.Then I tacked the top together with a dab of CA.Then I took a short piece of BT-20 and inserted it in cone to be sure it would fit nice and tight.Then I got a CR and inserted in the other end and stuffed the whole works in the top tube.I didnt glue the bigger end YET.Ill let it set over night to mold/form to shape.

D-Nelson Tomahawk3.JPG

I cannt believe I ate the whole thing.:y: I manage to get a little more done after stuffing myself. Got the tube ends cleaned up.Sanded the NC and put the fillets on one side of CRs.Started the cone piece.What I did with the cone was,rolled it around the handel of an exacto knife to get basic shape.Then I tacked the top together with a dab of CA.Then I took a short piece of BT-20 and inserted it in cone to be sure it would fit nice and tight.Then I got a CR and inserted in the other end and stuffed the whole works in the top tube.I didnt glue the bigger end YET.Ill let it set over night to mold/form to shape.

This is going to be a good thread:)
Cheers
fred

Got up this morn and went out to porch and turned on the electric heater.Dry the air and warm it up. I put another coat of CA on NC. Pulled the cone out of tube Not yet glued in that picture, so,you can see it formed well.So I glued it together. I then put a 20 to 50 CR on that short piece of BT-20 and slid it in cone.This way I could put the CA to the cone and not have it stick to me fingers or whatever.By now the CA on the NC was hard and I sanded it with some 320 then 600. Put the primer to the top tube and NC and set it in front of the heater.Also put the glue fillets on the other side of CRs.I guess next will be cutting out the fins and lug standoffs.Dont know about colors at this time. I do like the cover art and my go with that.

D-Nelson Tomahawk4.JPG

D-Nelson Tomahawk5.JPG

D-Nelson Tomahawk6.JPG

Well,between football,dinner and then the dog rolled in some animal poop outside,so I had to give him a bath,I got a little more done.Cut out and sanded the edges of the fins and lug stand offs.Couple more coats primer on NC and top tube. Checked fit of cone to top tube.Guess thats it for tonight.Looking good up to this point, so I dont want to push it.

D-Nelson Tomahawk7.JPG

D-Nelson Tomahawk8.JPG

D-Nelson Tomahawk9.JPG

Looking good, Scotty :) This particular rocket has quite the history.

For those who don't know, this rocket is named after Dick Nelson, the founder and host of the Pearl River modroc convention (largest in the country at the time), held each year in Pearl River, NY. I was the commemorative kit designer (taking over after Howard Kuhn) and this was the commemorative kit for the last Pearl River.

For those who don't know, this rocket is named after Dick Nelson, the founder and host of the Pearl River modroc convention (largest in the country at the time), held each year in Pearl River, NY. I was the commemorative kit designer (taking over after Howard Kuhn) and this was the commemorative kit for the last Pearl River.
Thanks Jim. I got about 6 more of your kits to buid. Funny thing, seems everytime Im in a funk and not sure what I want to build..out comes a Fliskits. NO LIE!!!!:D

Well, I made a boo-boo.I glued the botton section into top section.I put a couple CRs on bottom section and slid it in another tube and banded them around my angle. I did this because there ways some "play" as the CRs on the bt-20 dont go into the top tube to far.Now I know the bottom section is nice and straight with the top section.The BOO-BOO, I forgot to tie the kelar cord in between the 2 rings. I can fix this by drilling thru the rings and threading the kevlar cord thru them and Ill tie it around the bottom tube under the adapter.No biggy,but still kinda got my goat. I also sprayed some primer on a piece of paper and used a Q-tip to applly primer to inside of the smaller fin tubes. Ill let the tube sections set tonight and tomorrow night Ill glue the fin tubes on. Fix the BOO-BOO and glue adapter to top tube. So, couple more days and it should be built and ready to prime it all and figure the paint theme. I think this has been my most documented build.Hope ya all are liking it so far.

D-Nelson Tomahawk9a.JPG

Last edited:
Love that jig :)

To fix the Boo-boo, what I would do is just go with a standard trifold style shock cord mount. glue the elastic shock cord inside the BT-55 tube, tie the Kevlar cord to the other end of that and then the Kevlar to the screw eye in the nose.

Will work just fine and you don't have to worry about filling holes in the BT...

jim

Love that jig :)

To fix the Boo-boo, what I would do is just go with a standard trifold style shock cord mount. glue the elastic shock cord inside the BT-55 tube, tie the Kevlar cord to the other end of that and then the Kevlar to the screw eye in the nose.

Will work just fine and you don't have to worry about filling holes in the BT...

jim
Ya,that would take care of things in a simpler manner.Thanks. The jig,well,being a Pipefitter it comes in handy in dealing with and making jigs to keep/make things straight and true. Its in my blood as they say.Paper tubes,steel tubes,balsa fins,metal flat stock,ect.It doesnt matter. Straight is straight and true is true,theres no inbetween.Altho,with all that said, I do rely on thee ole eyeball most times.:eyepop:

Got the fin tubes glued on. I made a wrap to layout the lines from the bottom of the tubes to the top.Then I drew two lines on each side of these to go by when I put the fins on.Needed something to go by ,as it would be hard to make a fin guide or use the angle to make sure they(fins )were in line with the rocket . I also glued the adapter on.I took a pic of the whole thing on my board to show that by making the jig when I glued top and bottom halves together,that it came out right on the pin.Nice and straight.Ill fillet the tubes before going to bed and let dry over night.Then tomorrow night its the fins and lug standoffs.Its a slow build for a small rocket,but Ive only been doing a little each night and letting things dry till the next night.

D-Nelson Tomahawk9b.JPG

D-Nelson Tomahawk9c.JPG

D-Nelson Tomahawk9d.JPG

Glued the fins on. I got to admit,.between the fine tubes and the fins,getting everything straight and true was a challenge. I think it came out about as good as it could. I made an eyeball jig by CAing a piece of balsa on an 18mm spacer. This was so I could put the edge/line on the original fin layout line and have the edge of the straight piece of balsa pass thru the center of main tube and the the center of fin tube and center of fin.Eye balled it to the best I could.It is what it is at this point.Sometimes ya just got to leave well enough alone.Glad that part is over.It was a little nerve racking to be honest.

D-Nelson Tomahawk9e.JPG

D-Nelson Tomahawk9f.JPG

D-Nelson Tomahawk9g.JPG

D-Nelson Tomahawk9h.JPG

Last edited:
Looking great Scotty!!!

You really build some nice rockets and in a short period of time. I haven't had tiem or been able to wrap my head around any builds lately...

Looking great Scotty!!!

You really build some nice rockets and in a short period of time. I haven't had tiem or been able to wrap my head around any builds lately...
Thanks for the compliment.I hear ya on the wrapping ya head around a build.Went thru guite a funk myself.Not the first time either. As you know I like to scratch build.And I know you like to mod a lot of your builds.So,when Im in a funk,I take out a kit and build it the way it was designed and that usualy gets me going again. There is a saying that I use that comes from a place I visit at times. "Keep It Simple"

Been busy and I had my bro over for the weekend .We finished up some garden work.Got the Garlic planted,transplanted my blueberry bushes and general yard clean up. I do have it built and all glue and FNF fillets done.Just needs a finaly sanding and its ready for primer and paint. Same goes for the Estes Stratocruicer thread I started awhile back. I got like three or four builds going at once right now.The wife says "Why cannt you start and finish one at at a time.....She crazy as a Loonybird if she thinks that will ever happen..:smile: I told her its a "MAN LAW" :wink: So,stay tuned and Ill try and finish up some for ya all to see.

Went to prime it last night and OHH....YES!! I forgot the lugs.As mentioned in another thread today,worst part,this (lugs) was one of the first steps in the build. Of course, you are supposed to read ALL the instructions before starting the build...:bangpan: So I got them glued on lastnight and put the primer to it tonight. Got a few spots to touch up and its finaly ready for paint.

D-Nelson Tomahawk9i.JPG

Last edited:
Looks sweet. Interested in what you come up with for a color scheme :)
Im still thinking going with the cover art. I like it. We will see :wink:Anywhoo- On the kevlar cord issue, I figure I can put in a baffle and attach the kevlar to that and be good to go. Hope the 22cnd is a nice warm sunny calm day. Im also trying to get my Foray (the double Stingray) painted in time for the weekend. It was red and gray primer when you last saw it. Ill be sure and let ya know when I launch it. I know you missed it last time.

So I guess Nelson is not a region of the atmosphere??? :roll: Yeah. Bet you NEVER hear that one huh? ;)

Of course it's a great build. But then it is Scotty Dog!

Last edited:
So I guess Nelson is not a region of the atmosphere???
Im not getting it. I looked up Nelson Atmosphere and found a paster that wrote.The Shifting Atmosphere, A Nelson guy that made a atmosphereic water thingy. ????????? What am I missing here gdsky?????I know your into astronomy....

So I guess Nelson is not a region of the atmosphere??? :roll: Yeah. Bet you NEVER hear that one huh? ;)

Of course it's a great build. But then it is Scotty Dog!

Im not getting it. I looked up Nelson Atmosphere and found a paster that wrote.The Shifting Atmosphere, A Nelson guy that made a atmosphereic water thingy. ????????? What am I missing here gdsky?????I know your into astronomy....
Thanks for the PM. No ones caught it yet .:D

Getting some painting done on it.I went with Banner Red for the NC. True Blue for upper tube. Im going at this a little different than usual. Didnt want to paint it all one color and let it dry and then another over that and then another color over that ect,ect. So I split a tube and slid it up just over the adapter and painted the top tube.Ill let that dry and I can feather the edge a little and then I can mask a cleaner line and I think Ill go with the Semi Gloss White for the rest/bottom of rocket , maybe a stripe just under the adapter and then maybe thro some stripes on fins and some color inside smaller tubes.Hard telling not knowing at this point.

D-Nelson Tomahawk9k.JPG

D-Nelson Tomahawk9l.JPG

D-Nelson Tomahawk9m.JPG

D-Nelson Tomahawk9n.JPG

Messy,Messy,Messy Thats what I see today 3rd pic :y:

thumbnail.aspx

That is one mighty fine look'n paint stand ya have there. Make that yourself did'ya?

The rocket is coming along nicely.

D-Nelson%20Tomahawk9m.JPG

That is one mighty fine look'n paint stand ya have there. Make that yourself did'ya?

The rocket is coming along nicely.
Thats a good on Brady! Honestly,I have to laugh. I looked at the thread today here at work. Im like,come on ScottyDog,get with the program.:bangpan::bangpan: Thing is,my Paintstand is in the dishwasher now. Im working out on the sunporch with an electric heater. I open the door and shoot a coat,shut the door and set the rocket in front of the heater.Every weekend Im cleaning up over spray and pieces of balsa,tubes,paper,tape,ect.Dont know how the wife puts up with it/me.Anywhoo- Thanks, it (rocket) is coming into it.

Got the rest in Semi-Gloss White.Then maybe a Red stripe under adapter.Then like on the cover art for this kit a Blue and Red stripe on edge of fins and some Red inside the botton tubes. That will come later. Im leaveing it as is for now. Its good enough to bring to Cmass this weekend. Also got the bottom of Snipe in Black.

D-Nelson Tomahawk9o.JPG

So let me get this straight.... you go to Flis' site for the first time... you've been a BAR or rocket fan for years, maybe since the late 1960's or early 1970's...

You see a rocket named D-Nelson Tomahawk. And not as single swinging d**k one of you think... hmmm... must be some sort of take off on a D-Region Tomahawk? One of the least used (once for that purpose) but most recognized Sounding Rockets in all of Model Rocketry????? Not ONE of you? :bangpan::bangpan::bangpan::bangpan::bangpan: Really?

Just me? I mean WTF? D-Nelson??? Sure if you CLICK on it, it looks nothing whatsoever like a D-Region (being the 'D' region of the ionosphere). But that was certainly not what I expected... Now if we are going Italian of course it would be 'De Nelson'

:(
:tongue:
Okay... well its just me. :)

Last edited:
So let me get this straight.... you go to Flis' site for the first time... you've been a BAR or rocket fan for years, maybe since the late 1960's or early 1970's...

You see a rocket named D-Nelson Tomahawk. And not as single swinging d**k one of you think... hmmm... must be some sort of take off on a D-Region Tomahawk? One of the least used (once for that purpose) but most recognized Sounding Rockets in all of Model Rocketry????? Not ONE of you? :bangpan::bangpan::bangpan::bangpan::bangpan: Really?

Just me? I mean WTF? D-Nelson??? Sure if you CLICK on it, it looks nothing whatsoever like a D-Region (being the 'D' region of the ionosphere). But that was certainly not what I expected... Now if we are going Italian of course it would be 'De Nelson'

:(
:tongue:
Okay... well its just me. :)

Well,there is one thing I do know about the D-Nelson..It flies GREAT.Sent it up today at Cmass.

Back