MMX Der Red Max

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcmbanjo

Reaction score
I built this one yesterday and flew it this morning with an MMX engine.
Vertical flight and simple nose blow recovery

It's one of Greg Poehlein's downscales:

https://www.rocketryforumarchive.co...8&highlight=downscale+of+some+classics&page=3

Scroll down to post #47 for Der Red Max.
I built his carded Cherokee D and thought I'd give the Red Max a try.

If you haven't tried Greg's carded downscales:
Instead of rolling your own tubes, you print out the PDF and roll the "skin" around a BT-5. They feel much sturdier than the rolled tube 110 lb. cardstock models.
Follow his advice and print out the wrap around skin on 35 lb. paper (or lighter weight paper) for the best fit. This time the body tube layer was printed on 24 lb. paper and the seam match was perfect.
I prefer printing the fins on 110 lb. cardstock and did a three layer ply. The inside layer was cereal box cardboard.

The nose cone was a plastic Estes Quark style.

The downscale is only 5 1/4" tall. In the picture, it's next to my full size Red Max - the first rocket I built when I got back into the hobby.
Thanks Greg for all the work you did on the downscales!

Der Red Max Small 5.jpg

Last edited:
They were a lot of fun to do. I still want to do some more as well - I'm thinking some of the goonies would be cool.

For anyone trying these, I recommend that you buy some 35# presentation paper. It is a bit heavier than even the "heavy" printer paper (printer paper comes in 20# and 24# weights). The presentation paper has a slicker, semi-gloss finish to it which makes the colors stand out a lot more and also makes the graphics sharper. Plus, the paper is totally opaque and won't show any of the body tube through it even when clearcoated (clearcoat can make 24# paper translucent). The stuff is a bit expensive, but I think the results are really worth it.

Speaking of BT-5 downscales, how about turning a couple of Gnomes into a mini Mongoose? :p

Oh, and Chris - you gotta build a classic (red black & white) Alpha next! ;)

Back