PerfectFlite Stratologger SL100

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbrarick

Wildman CT
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm the luckiest rocketeer around this weekend. I've got the new PerfectFlite Stratologger SL100 to play with before it's released to everyone else. To see it in person you'll have to come the METRA launch this weekend.
So, because I don't have the Ok to release all the details or a picture, I'll just say it's a higher accuracy baro altimeter that doesn't need a mach delay!
Anyhow, mounting it was just as easy as the MWAD. The only difference is that it is about 1/4 inch shorter. you need to drill a couple more holes if you're using your MWAD board. The wiring is all the same: switch, power and 2 outputs.
There's new software that's a snap to use. It's easier then the MWAD software and it allows you to program the altimeter. This one also has a siren to help you find it! The book also says this one will report both speed and max altitude with beeps.

I'll let you know more this weekend - I'm going to use the heck out of it!

Interesting--sound somewhat similar to the Entacore AIM USB altimeter. With the Adept22 setting new $$$ expectations for DD simple altimeters, I am curious what price point this one will come in at even given that it's more fully featured than the Adept22. Did Perfectflite mention a rough idea price range?

With the Adept22 at $39, I'll forego simple download capabilities (AIM or MAWD-like) for anything much more than about $75. If I want oodles of data to download with Mach immunity and more options than I'll ever need, I'll spring for a Raven.

UPDATE, 25 March 2012: I am now flying two SL100s in two, different rockets, have 8+ flights with them and love this altimeter. Although the Adept22 is an incredible altimeter for the price, I really like the SL100's download capability and non-common ground wiring for just a bit more in price. This and the Raven and my go-to altimeters.

Last edited:
Does use a USB connection for downloading the data or does it still need a serial adapter?

JD

Same serial setup....but hey, I've got two, so no problem! Seems to be less finicky then the MWAD when used with windows 7....
New software, too! Way more information. I'll post a screen shot if they let me.

Ok, so that was fun! Went to METRA and who's parked just 3 cars down? The good folk from Perfectflite! Sweet, all your questions answered.
First they have a new retail site: https://www.perfectflitedirect.com/
Second, they are hoping to have this one up on their site next week.
Third, my prototype is not quite what you would get when you order one - so a picture of mine would be useless.
Fourth, there's an amplified speaker you can mount on your ebay....for the siren and it's loud! yousa!

So, I decided to spank the altimeter this weekend in my wildman Jr. I'm a wildman dealer, so you know I'm jot going to throw a G at it. The clouds were right at 4K, so I spanked it with some CTI I spitfires, just up to kiss the clouds, not trying to violate anyone's safety rules. Sunday was higher clouds, so can you say I800 Vmax? Didn't want to throw a J at it because that would have gone straight thru them.
What did I find out? This altimeter is robust, it didn't blink at my attempts to break it into pieces. It beeps out your max speed, so you can LOL with your friends when you bring it back. It's got Red Glare Mach Madness written all over it...no downloading, just let it scream.......
Anyhow. I digress. Never got all the way to mach, but I was close...but no cigar.
So I brought it home and did the download. You don't have to download it every flight, it stores a LDRS load of flights, so no more schelping the computer to METRA. Sure was fun to finally download them, though. I like the new interface, it's a lot nicer. They said that I could post a screen shot, but that will have to wait for another day - maybe wed, because I've got meetings the next two.
They also let me use the smaller, less expensive P-nut altimeter. It logs but does not deploy. I actually taped it onto the side of my stealth and gave it a ride. The J90 was cool, flew mostly straight up and down. you can download this one as well, and the flight profile was really funny! I'm sure it really wasn't designed to be taped to a Applewhite Stealth 54, spinning on the way up and then flipping upside down and spinning on the way down - but it handled it!

My opinion: Nice!

Where would I use it: pretty much anywhere I'd use a baro altimeter - they are some of the sweetest I've seen. I'm hoping the price points are right, so they will sell a truck-load. They're reliable, easy to use and simple to setup.

When would I not use it: Well, I've just gotten into EX and the ARTS2 can help you verify your load (according to burnsim). I've also got a project that must have accelerometer based apogee (the vent holes aren't exposed until the apogee charge happens, but Featherweight said the raven could handle it). That's a pretty picky list, if I do say so myself.

thanks Perfectflite!

I took a peak at this new altimeter and it looks simple as any other Perfect Flight device. The plug in Beeper is a nice touch.

They say that they are working on adding motor thrust profiling to the Raven software package. I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

JD

If the dealers aren't buying anything from them I see no harm.
Maybe the will be lowering the price on some units?
Adept, Missile Works both sell direct to the customer, so why not?

JD

Oy... They're selling direct, for below MSRP, which means they're competing directly with their dealers.

That's a good way to irritate (and lose) dealers.

-Kevin

If the dealers aren't buying anything from them I see no harm.
Maybe the will be lowering the price on some units?
Adept, Missile Works both sell direct to the customer, so why not?

The key is what price they're selling at -- PerfectFlite Direct lists the products below list price.

Offering it themselves is fine, but they need to sell at list price.

Let's say on the MAWD that dealer cost is $75, and it costs PF $50 to make the unit. PF can sell one to you for $85 and make $35. Their dealers sell it at $85, and they only make $10, but that's before they pay the inventory cost, and shipping from PF to the dealer.

A manufacturer should never sell below MSRP when they have dealers. Otherwise, they're just undercutting their dealers, and risk losing them.

-Kevin

hmm, interesting. well they may be going to change their business model to that of adept?

i know commonwealth sells the adept at adept's price, and does lose money on shipping since adept doesn't wholesale. it may force dealers away, but at the same time their bottom line may increase by a % or two.

either way if the alt. is cheaper than the mawd, i'm buying it :D

The $67 early adopter price offered at Perfectflightdirect.com was compelling...I bought one. It will go into my nearly finished Wildman Darkstar av-bay this weekend. First impressions without flying it:
- Love the red board
- I didn't immediately see that it records top mph speed as well as altitude--neat
- Smaller than a MAWD, smaller than an Adept 22, smaller than an RRC2 Mini; it's not a Raven, but I don't think fitting this into a small av-bay will be a problem for 95% of the applications
- I really like the 4-14 volt battery options; might use a small, 500mAh LiPo 7.4v battery pack to power it in smaller e-bays
- Came with 4-40 mounting hardware, 9V battery connector & a hardcopy manual
- A USB connector would have been nice, but I've already got the data transfer kit from my MAWD
- Like not having the common ground wiring issue, and a dedicated switch terminal block
- Note: battery supplies all ematch firing power (use Q2G2s and this is unimportant--you could almost shuffle across carpet to fire one of those)

Great price point and a lot of good, new features--well done Perfectflite!

Hi,
How much acceleration support the stratologger with a warp 9?
Is the supersonic is ok?
Thanks
:confused:

Just placed a order for one.
Hope this model turns out to be a winner.
I own three MAWD's and hate to see the model go.
KISS alt that gets the job done.
I am sure this model will be a step forward but sometime I think, "If it's not broke why fix or replace it."

Has anyone come up with something for the amplified speaker option? If so what are you using?

I flew my Stratologger yesterday in my Madcow HV ARCAS that is set up for DD, on a G64-10. The Stratologger reported a 600' flight and at the 400' (I changed the default to this) setting for the mains they deployed just fine for a great landing withinn 100 of the pad. I have not hooked it up to the laptop yet to look at the data.

The locator beacon(sound) is neat. But does need to be amplified some what.

Keith

Flew a pair of SL100s yesterday at LDRS in a 3"Mongoose. Altitudes recorded were within 3 feet of each other. Drogue and main deployment events ocurred as expected.

Primary altimeter--15,999
Back-up altimeter--16,002
Velocity--892mph

I just ordered one 2 days ago and received it today!
I didn't have time to read the manual but, did fire up the software as I already had the data cable from my MAWD.

Looking to fly it at Red Glare.

JD

I was able to fly the SL100 at a CTRA launch today.
I flew it in my Caliber EX on an AT I 161-M (which has about 15 flights on it).
Reported a max of 1,974ft and 245MPH

It fired on Q @ 700 ft. (The settings right out of the box)
I dumped the data, just what was reported when it was beeping.
It also shows temperature and voltage.

JD

It's easy to use, right out of the box. Check the manual and you can change to other preset main deployments, or do a custom one if you hook it to your computer. It's got a new interface (different from the MWAD's) that's super easy to use.

rick

Posted an update to my original comments above/here:

UPDATE, 25 March 2012: I am now flying two SL100s in two, different rockets, have 8+ flights with them and love this altimeter. Although the Adept22 is an incredible altimeter for the price, I really like the SL100's download capability, Mach immunity and non-common ground wiring for just a bit more in price. This and the Raven and my go-to altimeters.

Back