Show us a picture of your build pile

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
Layne's (Pem Tech) posting thread here really got me thinking... If I had 100 kits, where would I put them all? If I had 100 kits would I begin to completely loose track? So, the real question alluded to in the thread title, how do you store your unbuilt rockets?

I will start. I have just over 60 unbuilt mid and high power rockets along with a handful of low power kits. I really have them spread all over though the place though (which at times is a problem). I started my build pile over 10 years ago using this large plastic trash can set in the corner of my workshop. It was a great solution as I could purchase a kit and pop it in the trash can completely hidden so my wife wouldn't know the pile was getting bigger. As you can see, I don't use it as much anymore (my wife understands my "problem") and even have a box of parts sitting outside the container.

043 (960x1280).jpg

Some of the kits that could fit in the trash can are at my office hidden behind a shelf and plant just in case I get some downtime and want to take a rocket building break.

040 (960x1280).jpg

A few other kits (two K&S and one Estes Saturn V) are sitting in the basement as haven't gotten around to putting them in longer term storage.

041 (960x1280).jpg

The few low power kits I have are on a top shelf in my workshop (in the milk carton crate) along with a couple Aerotech mid power kits.

046 (1280x960).jpg

But the biggest treasure trove is a stash of tightly packed large, tall boxes that take up about 50 square feet in my attic (couldn't get 'em all in the picture).

049 (960x1280).jpg

To keep track of everything, I do use a spreadsheet describing all the kits and my early thoughts on building the design. I do think I'm going to have to add a location column though as sometimes it is just hard to find what I'm looking fore. I'm sure there are better ways to store and keep track of the build pile/queue--how about someone else?

Last edited:
I've never had a build pile :(. If I did, I would want it to literally be a pile. In the middle of the floor.

The kits you have in the attic wouldn't the weather cause damage to them? Not sure where you live, but I know here in California the attics get pretty hot. I would think maybe a more temperature controlled room would work best. Just my thoughts ...

Mine isn't much of a pile, more like orderly chaos.
my building tables
DSCN2865.jpg

The miscellaneous parts and those in need of repair area
DSCN2864.jpg

the que
DSCN2868.jpg

The waiting for paint and more misc parts area
DSCN2867.jpg

This dates back to June, and is just the actual kits:

Horde.jpg

Not shown in the kit pile is a box about two-thirds full of Wizard kits I got from the BSA sale a year or two ago.

Also picture a big BMS box brimming with tubes, and medium sized SEMROC box with many nose cones, plus all manner of fin stock and rings and such.

In the time since the picture above was taken, I've completed 1 scratch build (Blood Atonement), am nearly complete on another (as yet unnamed Estes Logo Rocket), and have built the Estes Hornet and one of the Vagabonds. And two Vagabond downscales scratchers.

So the "pile" has gone down by 2 kits and 4 scratch builds. See my "build the one you're with" thread for details on my vow not to buy more kits & stuff until I whittle the pile down a bit.

Marc

If I did, I would want it to literally be a pile. In the middle of the floor.
That pretty much describes my work space! I'm moving it upstairs sometime in the next couple days, so you can see my build pile/work table after it's clean and neat and organized. ;)

The kits you have in the attic wouldn't the weather cause damage to them? Not sure where you live, but I know here in California the attics get pretty hot. I would think maybe a more temperature controlled room would work best. Just my thoughts ...

I kinda worried about it 10 years ago when I had kits in a hot garage in Texas where it was definitely worse than my attic (w/house fans) here in Indiana. I pick at least one or two out of the group each year to build and never have had a problem. Examples of two from last year below:

MWP9 rockets 001.jpg

Don't have a picture but my build pile consist of an Estes Bull Pup 12D and a Vagabond. BAR just getting back into things. I also have a " mystery bag" which has a plastic nose cone, engine mount parts and some die cut fins in it. No body tube. I think it got crushed at some point. I have no idea what the rocket is supposed to be, there is no card or instructions with it. The only thing I know for sure is that it's Estes. Maybe I should take a picture and have a "figure out what this is" contest! :)

Rows and rows of boxes full of parts...

Stacks and stacks of crates full of kits.

(This is only a small fraction of it. Roughly 3 dozen clone/scratch projects at the moment and some 200 or so kits. The build pile isn't growing as fast as it once did, but it does grow another inch from time to time. I have plans to take on many, many more of each.)

DSCF0569-001.JPG

DSCF0571-001.JPG

Last edited:
here are my builds and kits waiting to be built..I live in a small home....one of the benefits of a Dr. Zooch kit, for me, is that the rocket stores in the shipping box...so these guys can get all tucked in my little book shelf/closet that is built into the wall of the man cave. They are out of the way and most importantly, out of sight of the "one who must be obeyed...":dark: I close the door and they are out of sight!

100_2494a.jpg

(This is only a small fraction of it. Roughly 3 dozen clone/scratch projects at the moment and some 200 or so kits. The build pile isn't growing as fast as it once did, but it does grow another inch from time to time. I have plans to take on many, many more of each.)

Wow, more than 200 kits?!!! Looks like from the first picture many are partially built, but not yet completed--which for me, would drive me crazy, so I only work on three or four at a time.

Wow, more than 200 kits?!!! Looks like from the first picture many are partially built, but not yet completed--which for me, would drive me crazy, so I only work on three or four at a time.
No, those are some of my current clone builds. Most are done and are just awaiting paint. I don't have any kit builds on the bench at the moment -- the 200 figure is the backlog. They've been slowly accumulating over the past eight years. I am not building anything right at the moment, but concentrating instead on getting some long overdue painting done.

Last edited:
No.

Just.....No.

Information like that might get back to my wife, and I've already perfected digging holes -- I don't need to post information online to help dig more! :)

-Kevin (who actually thinned his pile out this year!)

I kinda worried about it 10 years ago when I had kits in a hot garage in Texas where it was definitely worse than my attic (w/house fans) here in Indiana. I pick at least one or two out of the group each year to build and never have had a problem. Examples of two from last year below:

View attachment 95670

Very nice builds... great rockets. I'm glad you haven't experienced any damage.

OK, finally got my workstation moved upstairs, so here it is. Not really a "build pile" so much as a pile of parts to build with.
First is under the worktable; tubes, partially completed rockets, assorted spar parts, parachute material, and leftover balsa.
Second is my parts bin, packed to bursting with bags of nose cones, launch lugs, centering rings, motor hooks, etc.
Third is my full length 15" and 18" tubes, some loosely coupled together for lack of space. My 1/96 scale Saturn V is in the corner.
Fourth, another partial rocket and some 34" LOC tubes, and my balsa fin stock.
Fifth, my work surface, with the Orion V and a nose cone/tail cone set for an Arapahoe E clone.
One more in a minute...

Build Pile 1.jpg

Build pile 2.jpg

Build Pile 3.jpg

Build pile 4.JPG

Build Pile 5.JPG

And, one more: the little rockets on the windowsill and some more of the Saturn V in the corner.

Build Pile 6.JPG

uh, no. That would entail a video walk-thru of 4 rooms in the house and the Viking Princess will NOT allow that! Maybe later, when I reclaim the spare bedroom/mancave-just don't tell her...she's busy picking out curtains and decorator colours.

the Viking Princess...HA!! that is funny!! I also noticed you put in "when you reclaim the spare bedroom/mancave".....same over here...you'd never know I pay the mortgage..I am lucky to have staked a claim to the little used "rec room" that lay dormant for 15 years here...turned it into a modest mancave...my son and I did it together..he picked the paint...she came down and began to say the dreaded words " I am not sure about the color...." told her NOPE! this is the boys room! told her she is only allowed to enter to clean the room.....LOL...not a smart move..went over like a turd in the punch bowl..

uh, no. That would entail a video walk-thru of 4 rooms in the house and the Viking Princes
s will NOT allow that! Maybe later, when I reclaim the spare bedroom/mancave-just don't tell her...she's busy picking out curtains and decorator colours.

My "pile" will also take two posts. First pics are of my L3 project and other assorted repairs plus the Wildman Gizmo XLV. Oh, there is a Wildman 4' Vindicator DD in one of those big boxes yet too. 4th pic shows a PML 1/2 scale Patriot.
Adrian

Last edited:
Here are the rest. I don't honestly know any more which will be built or just collected. Oh, yeah, there's also a Wildman 4" Darkstar DD that didn't get in the pics. And the rest of the PML 1/2 scale Patriot.

Last edited:
This and a Big Bertha... And that is all...

9D373476-4C64-44B1-B6B0-9E07D156B676-14111-00000C1D3DFD2C26.jpg

I do however take donations ;)

That would be a negatron Batman. I am a "not for profit" entity so all donations are subject to US Tax code I-1/2mineNscrwU2 and will not be returned.
:lol::rofl::rofl: Now THAT was funny! (So was the 'punch bowl' thing, but..._)

My "pile" will also take two posts. First pics are of my L3 project and other assorted repairs plus the Wildman Gizmo XLV. Oh, there is a Wildman 4' Vindicator DD in one of those big boxes yet too. 4th pic shows a PML 1/2 scale Patriot.
Adrian

Adrian, wow, now that is one impressive conglomeration of build piles! Is that a kitchen/dining table that is shown in the first pic? If so, how do you do it? I just cannot imagine how my wife would react if I began to encroach on our "real" living space!

I don't have a pile. But the donations are getting started.:wink: I have to build it when I think of it or when I get the kit or parts. I only Hord rockets that are ready to go.

SAM_0091.jpg

SAM_0090.jpg

Back