Estes - Der Red Max (KC-2 or #0651) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mini Max, my first new rocket as a BAR. My blue/white combination was influenced a bit by the old Blue Bird Zero, I think.

Minimax.JPG

Mini Max, my first new rocket as a BAR. My blue/white combination was influenced a bit by the old Blue Bird Zero, I think.

It looks nice.

I wish my first few dozen as a BAR looked as good.

For those of you who put an 18mm mount in the Mini Max, was there anything else required or was it stable as is? If stable, with which engine(s)?

For those of you who put an 18mm mount in the Mini Max, was there anything else required or was it stable as is? If stable, with which engine(s)?

I put a C6-3,5 and 7 in it and it was a riot. I thought the fins were going to rip off. It is a bit much for a C......but fun. I did nothing as far as any "ballancing" Mine is built with yellow wood glue. I just use a small streamer for recovery. have fun and keep your eyes on it.

reverse color Der Red Max

RedMax.jpg

Redmax2.jpg

awesome paint job!!

This is a scratch Mini Max that I made before Estes released theirs. It has an 18mm MMT and flies like a champion on C6's without any noseweight.

Little_Max.JPG

The DARK MAX.... Decals available HERE

Photos by Steve Pauling at MWP9 liftoff on K515 54mm skid airstarting 3 H166 smokey sams..

You gotta love a flame that is still hitting the ground when the rocket is already 25 feet in the air.. :D

IMG_7280.jpg

der red cropped.jpg

Two more Red Max models - the Estes Mini Max and the Leading Edge micro Red Max, both dressed in classic regalia.

red max.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Estes Der Red Max (KC-2 or #0651) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Der Red Max (KC-2 or #0651) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Der Big Red Max: #1403 Part of a Starter Set
Estes: Der Red Max: KC-2 or #0651
Estes: Mini Max: #2445
Excelsior: Der Fat Max:
Excelsior: Der Grosser Vati:
Excelsior: Goony Max:
Leading Edge: Micro Max: LE-07
Retro Rocketry: Mini Blue Max:
Retro Rocketry: Mini Red Max: #0651-RS
Thrustline Aerospace: Der Big Red Max: TACL-025a
Thrustline Aerospace: Der Big Red Max 24mm: TACL-025aa
Thrustline Aerospace: Der Red Max: TACL-025

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Der Big Red Max (#1403) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Der Big Red Max Also known as: Available only as part of the Starter Set

NUMBER: #1403

Introduced: 1978
Final Year: 1982
Designer: Wayne Kellner

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

estes-der%20big%20red%20max%201403-1978%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1978 Catalog
estes-der%20big%20red%20max%201403-1979%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1979 Catalog
estes-der%20big%20red%20max%201403-1981%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1981 Catalog

Face Card(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Estes Der Red Max (KC-2 or #0651) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Der Red Max Also known as: Red Max

NUMBER: KC-2 or #0651

Introduced: 1972
Final Year:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Length: 16.25"
Diameter: 1.637"
Span:
Weight: 2.375 oz

Mfg. Description: The Der Red Max is a classic Estes model rocket and another of our most requested bring back models...and for good reason. Not only is this a uniquely decorated model, but this model performs as good as it looks. This is one of those model rockets that has a personality all its own!

Standing just a tad over 16 inches tall, the Max is one of our rockets that's a must have in your rocket arsenal. From the long, ballistic-shaped nose cone to the stubby fins and the truly unique decor, this rocket has attitude! Every launch with our standard engines will give you stellar flights over 700 feet. Recovery is accomplished with a colorful 18 inch preassembled parachute for safe landings.

In addition to retaining all of the great looks and flying qualities of the original, this new version now features laser cut wood fins for improved performance and has a waterslide decal set that replicates the original - including the totally cool skull and crossbones. Pick up a classic Der Red Max today and add it to your collection. You are sure to be the envy of all your model rocket buddies...until they get theirs. (Estes 2011 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

estes-der%20red%20max%200651-1973%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1973 Catalog
estes-der%20red%20max%200651-1975%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1975 Catalog
estes-der%20red%20max%200651-1977%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1977 Catalog

estes-der%20red%20max%200651-1979%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1979 Catalog
estes-der%20red%20max%200651-1980%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1980 Catalog
estes-der%20red%20max%200651-1981%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1981 Catalog

estes-der%20red%20max%200651-1982%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1982 Catalog
estes-der%20red%20max%200651-1984%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1984 Catalog
estes-der%20red%20max%200651-1985%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1985 Catalog

estes-der%20red%20max%200651-2007%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2007 Catalog
estes-der%20red%20max%200651-2008%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2008 Catalog
estes-der%20red%20max%200651-2010%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2010 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-der%20red%20max%200651-facecard%201.jpg
estes-der%20red%20max%200651-facecard%202.jpg

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Estes Mini Max (#2445) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Mini Max Also known as:

NUMBER: #2445

Introduced: 2010
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport, Downscale
Motor Mount: 1x13mm
Recovery: Streamer
Length: 9.75 in. (24.8 cm)
Diameter: 0.98 in. (25 mm)
Span:
Weight: 1.3 oz. (37 g)

Mfg. Description: You want it, we’ve got it! Since the Der Red Max is so extremely popular, we’ve created another smash hit with a smaller version of the Estes classic. Just like the Der Red Max, the Mini Max is uniquely designed. It has the same ballistic shaped nose cone and stubby fins as its bigger counterpart.

Standing almost 10 inches tall, this miniature version definitely has a personality all its own! Powered by Estes mini engines, it can reach amazing heights of 400 feet. After its aerial assault, recovery is accomplished with a high-viz streamer.

The new Mini Max has all the great looks of the classic version, right down to the really cool skull and crossbones decals. Like many of our new and classic kits, the Mini features a wood nose cone, laser cut wood fins and waterslide decals. (Estes 2011 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

estes-mini%20max%202445-2010%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2010 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-mini%20max%202445-facecard.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Excelsior Goony Max Basic Information.

excelsior%20logo.gif
Excelsior Rocketry

MODEL NAME: Goony Max Also known as: Der Goony Max

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport, Goony
Motor Mount:
Recovery:
Stages:
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: The GOONY MAX is a super twisted turn on an older favorite.

The GOONY MAX is based on the Baby Bertha kit. All you need to add is the GOONY MAX fins, the GOONY MAX decals, and you are off. Like all Retro Bash sets, the GOONY MAX contains decals, instructions, and fin patterns to build from a Baby Bertha kit that you supply yourself. (Excelsior 2011 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

excelsior-goony%20max-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Excelsior 2011 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Excelsior Der Grosser Vati Basic Information.

excelsior%20logo.gif
Excelsior Rocketry

MODEL NAME: Der Grosser Vati Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Alan Estenson

Type: Sport, Goony
Motor Mount:
Recovery:
Stages:
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: We all knew it would happen sooner or later.... someone would cross a Max with the Daddy..... Anyway, what sport rocket does not look good with with a skull and crossbones? Alan Estenson thought so, and with some input from Excelsior Rocketry, developed the GROSSER VATI.

The Grosser Vati includes a full page of crisply detailed black and white goofy decals required to get the MAX out of your Big Daddy kit. They have are customized not only to fit this model, many details have been changed as well. Check out Alan's awesome model on the right and below. (Excelsior 2011 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

excelsior-der%20grosser%20vati-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Excelsior 2011 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

EMRRRocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Thrustline Der Big Red Max (TACL-025a) Basic Information.

thrustline.gif
Thrustline Aerospace

MODEL NAME: Der Big Red Max Also known as:

NUMBER: TACL-025a

Introduced: 2006
Final Year:

Type: Sport, Clone
Motor Mount:
Recovery:
Stages:
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Retro Rocketry Mini Blue Max Basic Information.

retrorocketry%20logo.gif
Retro Rocketry

MODEL NAME: Mini Blue Max Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Length: 7.25"
Diameter: 0.736"
Span:
Weight: 5/8 oz

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Retro Rocketry Mini Red Max (#0651-RS) Basic Information.

retrorocketry%20logo.gif
Retro Rocketry

MODEL NAME: Mini Red Max Also known as:

NUMBER: #0651-RS

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Length: 7.25"
Diameter: 0.736"
Span:
Weight: 5/8 oz

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

retro%20rockets-mini%20red%20max%200651rs-facecard.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Leading Edge Micro Max (LE-07) Basic Information.

leading_edge.gif
Leading Edge Rocketry

MODEL NAME: Micro Max Also known as:

NUMBER: LE-07

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x6mm
Length: 5.05"
Diameter: 0.448"
Span:
Weight: 2.0 grams

Mfg. Description: As with all of our Micro Classics, these kits feature precision laser cut basswood fins, hard fiber centering rings, white kraft body tubes with a glassine outer wrap and machined balsawood nose cone. The Micro Max is a great flyer with all the style and flight characteristics of a larger model but with the added benefits that come from a Micro Maxx™ powered rocket, smaller launch site, lower cost per flight and lower altitude which means you may be able to fly your Micro Classics™ on days that the weather won’t permit larger flights. All you will need in addition to your regular ground support and lunch supplies is a smaller launch rod like our GS-0001 Launch rod and adapter. We also offer complete Micro Classics™ launch sets. Click here for more information. The Micro Max is rated Skill Level Three. We recommend that the builder have some previous model rocket experience due to the smaller parts of a Micro Classics™. (Leading Edge 2011 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

leading%20edge-micro%20max%20le07-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Leading Edge 2011 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

leading%20edge-micro%20max%20le07-facecard.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
My Red Max Family: Der Big Red Max, Der Red Max, Der Big Pink Mini Max, and Der Tiny Max.

The Pink Max Decals come with a band for the upper BT, but I screwed that one up while applying it. It's a Mini Max with a 15" long body tube and an 18mm motor mount. A very nice flier.

DSCN5404.jpg

DSCN5405.jpg

DSCN5409.jpg

DSCN5410.jpg

DSCN5408.jpg

Last edited:
My Red Max Family: Der Big Red Max, Der Red Max, Der Big Pink Mini Max, and Der Tiny Max.

The Pink Max Decals come with a band for the upper BT, but I screwed that one up while applying it. It's a Mini Max with a 15" long body tube and an 18mm motor mount. A very nice flier.

Contact me.

I have spares.

Last year I retired my original Der Big Red Max after a cato (don't use 30 year old Estes engines that have been sitting around). Looking at it over the winter I have decided that there's still a lot of good flights left in her so I'm in the process of replacing the MMT and parachute and she will fly again this summer. Also plan to built a new Der Red Max (or I should say Der Dark Max).:dark:

IMAG0344.jpg

Here's my contribution to the DRM gallery.

Der Red Magg #1

DSCN1314s.jpg

Back