SCALE - (MIM 23) Hawk Missile Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well; its done.
Decided I didn't want to mess around anymore with this one. Seems the liquid mask softened the Rustoleum Gloss white paint and it never rehardened. stripped most of it but the stripper began attacking the styrene wireways so discontinued... left it as was for the most part. Sanded a bit, Re-coated gloss white and Hand painted the black fins and wireways.
Applied the decals and a coat of future last evening. Not very happy with the finish but it'll fly fine...Tis done;)

Post copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• MM 376uc13_MM Hawk repainted white_05-13-11.JPG
    MM 376uc13_MM Hawk repainted white_05-13-11.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 91
  • MM 376uc14a_MM Hawk Blk Hand paint & decal_05-14-11.JPG
    MM 376uc14a_MM Hawk Blk Hand paint & decal_05-14-11.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 81
  • MM 376uc14b_MM Hawk Blk Paint & Decal_05-14-11.JPG
    MM 376uc14b_MM Hawk Blk Paint & Decal_05-14-11.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 76
Last edited by a moderator:
At some point I may build and attempt to convert this very Nice 1/32nd Scale Plastic model kit for MMX flight..or use the parts as templates to slightly upscale the Mobile Launcher for use with 3 of the A.S.P. MMX hawk missile kits. or one kit and two clones LOL!!!

Hawk_battery Revell MistoryMaker 8611 32nd(128dpi)_95.jpg

Welcome to the Scale (MIM 23) Hawk Missile Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the (MIM 23) Hawk Missile and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Aerospace Specialty Products (ASP): Micro Hawk: KHAWK-MM
The Launch Pad (TLP): Hawk MIM-23A (1.6"): K039
Madcow: Army Hawk MIM-23A: K-106

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even a Goonie qualifies!

The Raytheon MIM-23 Hawk is a U.S. medium range surface-to-air missile. The Hawk was initially designed to destroy aircraft and was later adapted to destroy other missiles in flight. The missile entered service in 1960, and a program of extensive upgrades has kept it from becoming obsolete. It was superseded by the MIM-104 Patriot in United States Army service by 1994. It was finally phased out of U.S. service in 2002, the last users, the U.S. Marine Corps replacing it with the man-portable infrared-guided visual range FIM-92 Stinger. The missile was also produced outside the US in Western Europe, Japan and Iran.

Although the U.S. never used the Hawk in combat, it has been employed numerous times by other nations. Approximately 40,000 of the missiles were produced. Jane's reported that the original system's single shot kill probability was 0.56; I-Hawk improved this to 0.85

Last edited:
ASP Micro Hawk (KHAWK-MM) Basic Information.

asp.gif
Aerospace Specialty Products (ASP)

Micro Hawk

KHAWK-MM

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Scale Missile
Recovery: Streamer
Stages: 1
Length: 4.13"/104.8 mm
Diameter: 0.282"/7.16 mm
Span:
Weight: 0.18 oz/5 gm

Mfg. Description: The Hawk (an acronym for "Homing All-the-Way Killer") was created for the US Army in 1954 and put into service in 1959. Designed as an anti-aircraft missile, the Hawk was also sold to many countries, and later has been used as a sounding rocket for research. The model to the right in the picture is the Hawk.

Our Micro kits are designed to use the Quest TM Micro Maxx TM motors. They are all based on our "Minimum Diameter" T-MM body tubes. As a result they will generally fly higher than most of the other models available for the Micro Maxx TM motors. All kits include Kevlar shock cords, metallized polyester streamers (or Break-Apart recovery), water-slide decals and our usual complete instructions. Due to the small parts involved, these kits are not recommended for the first-time modeler. Younger modelers should have the assistance of an adult when trying to construct these small kits.

asp-micro%20hawk-web%202010%20livery.jpg
ASP 2010 Web ad

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
I built this one for EMRR several years back. Great build and a sharp looking bird, even with a goon like me at the glue controls.

QuarklaunchNovember52006002.jpg

MadCowHawkignitiononaG38-7.jpg

MadCowHawklift-off.jpg

The Launch Pad Hawk MIM-23A (1.6") (K039) Basic Information.

launchpad.gif
The Launch Pad (TLP)

MODEL NAME: Hawk MIM-23A (1.6") Also known as:

NUMBER: K039

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Recovery: Parachute
Length: 22 9/16"
Diameter: 1.6"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: HAWK MIM-23A (1.6" Dia.) SURFACE-to-AIR MISSILE (USA)

A miniature version of our popular 2.6" diameter HAWK, this scaled down model of the original HAWK missile will fly on black powder "D" motors, or composite fuel "E" motors. During testing we also flew it (once) successfully on an Aerotech "F24" reloadable, but our first test model vanished from sight (straight up) and we never saw it again. While building another test model, we decided that this was far too expensive in terms of lost reload casings, so the use of "F’s", while possible, is not recommended.

Recovery is by a brightly colored 18" octagonal Mylar parachute. A 3/16" diameter launch rod is required for all TLP rocket kits. The TLP HAWK (1.6" Dia.) is a finely detailed model of this classic missile, in 1/8.75 scale. (TLP 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

tlp-hawk%20mim23a%20k039-2012%20web%20livery.jpg
TLP 2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

tlp-hawk%20mim23a%20k039-facecard.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

See Also: LINKS
EMRRRocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Well even though it's been quite some time, I thought I'd follow up. November launching was a bust. Lots of work, and no play. Never got to ROCSTOCK. :(

So today the Hawk finally got to spread her wings on a D12-5 with SCRA at the Santa Fe Damn area in Irwindale CA.

Here she sits on a pad with a 3/16 inch (5mm) rod.

2011-12-04-SCRA-0002.jpg by InDanaPt, on Flickr

Madcow Army Hawk MIM-23A Rocket (K-106) Basic Information.

madcowrocketry.gif
Madcow Rocketry

MODEL NAME: Army Hawk MIM-23A Rocket Also known as:

NUMBER: K-106

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 1x29mm
Recovery: Parachute
Length: 36.25"
Diameter: 2.6"
Span:
Weight: 26oz

Mfg. Description: The HAWK is a medium range, surface-to-air guided missile that provides air defense coverage against low-to-medium-altitude aircraft. It is a mobile, all-weather day and night system. The missile is highly lethal, reliable, and effective against electronic countermeasures. Basic HAWK was developed in the 1950s and initially fielded in 1960. The system has been upgraded through a series of product improvements beginning with the Improved HAWK in 1970. The Phase III product improvement and the latest missile modification were first fielded in the early 1990s to the U.S. Army and U.S. Marine Corps (USMC). Two missile modifications have extended the missile's field life and added electronic counter-countermeasures to defeat special threats. Development was completed on HAWK mobility, the latest system improvement, and it was produced for the USMC and Sweden. The U.S. Army National Guard (ARNG) as well as 20 allied nations, including NATO and several countries in both Southwest Asia and Southeast Asia, were also equipped with the HAWK system. Prime contractor for this system is the Raytheon Company. The cost per missile is $250,000; per fire unit, $15 million; and per battery, $30 million. (Madcow 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

madcow-army%20hawk%20mim23a%20rocket%20k106-2102%20web%20livery.jpg
Madcow 2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

madcow-army%20hawk%20mim23a%20rocket%20k106-facecard.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

madcow-army%20hawk%20mim23a%20rocket%20k106-instr.jpg

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:

Dovetailing into the "The Launch Pad Rockets Suck Because... " squabble that seems to find its way onto TRF every 4 months or so... I sent up my stock (except for papering the fins so I did not have to seal them) BT-60 based TLP Hawk. This is it's 8th (well 8th since I have been keeping track of my flights on RocketReviews.com) sortie. Like I said... pretty much stock. No heavier tubing, uses elastic for the shock cord, you know, light weight model rocket stuff. Just like TLP says you should use... :bangpan::bangpan:

This time kickin' it's butt up there on an old (two o-ring in the delay) E28-7 cut to what should have been a 5 second and what was actually an 8 second delay. :facepalm:

And yes I forgot the Altimeter Two.... :bangpan::bangpan::bangpan::bangpan::cry::cry::eyeroll:

Nice huh...
8686956165_061d46887c_b.jpg

Flight was great except for the heart stopping 3 extra delay seconds... but it all held together and drifted off for my longest walk of the day... about a 1/4 mile. Up until then everything else landed literally no more than a few hundred feet from the launch site. My FitBit was happy though as I got my 10,000 step goal... :grin: (makes my wife happy).

Found it behind a large bush... the ROCKSIM guessimate is 1500' (457m) and I'd say it got much of that.

Back