Built my first from scratch nozzle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClayD

Reaction score
Built my first nozzle... it was a heckalacous mess...
packing for LDRS ... wooo hoooo...

burnsim thinks this is an N1927, its a 3" motor with 36" of propellant... think its a little optimiistic. But whatever-man..

M1779 sounds more like it.. so i am going with tamex.

should punch with about 375poudns, and rise to just shy of 450 at about the 4 second mark, and die off on the next 1.5 seconds.

tamex gave me 5.5 seconds... 9,000 ns.

N1927 - 10866ns1.JPG

N1927 - 10866ns2.jpg

N1927 - 10866ns3.JPG

N1927 - 10866ns4.jpg

:cool:

Let us know how it works. Do you have a pic of what it will move?

Greg

Same rocket that i had an M3000 knock the pants off off...

This was my failed L3 rocket...

I actualy have to "redo" this attempt... cant wait to see what 3" motors i can find to do this with this weekend....

it wont be so perty this go round, the center will just be "primer"(replaced from a zipper..)

It will have a drouge this time....

dyd19.jpg

Can you to elaborate on Tamex?
I've never heard of that program before....

JD

Built my first nozzle... it was a heckalacous mess...
packing for LDRS ... wooo hoooo...

burnsim thinks this is an N1927, its a 3" motor with 36" of propellant... think its a little optimiistic. But whatever-man..

M1779 sounds more like it.. so i am going with tamex.

should punch with about 375poudns, and rise to just shy of 450 at about the 4 second mark, and die off on the next 1.5 seconds.

tamex gave me 5.5 seconds... 9,000 ns.

Last edited:
If I were you, I would hit the exit cone with some steel wool after you are done with the heavy cuts. I am sure that your feed for the angle cuts is manual so it's difficult to get a uniform surface, but the wool will blend it all together a little bit.

Also, make sure there is plenty of play inbetween the nozzle washer and the nozzle extension that you have. That is a very thin piece you have extending flush to the washer and it will be prone to cracking over time, especially if the fit is tight.

How did the nozzle and motor perform at LDRS?

Edward

still sitting in the living room... (the case and nozzle.)

I had my taps ready to sign off on my bird, and put up a l3.,(which has to happen before this flys..)

But, I decided to just take it easy and hang with the wife and kids rather than "scratch" together something last miniuit.

I flew a few 38mm J's and had a blast...

I only got to fly 1 ex motor, and it was a success. My arts2 wont dl the data from it.. SUCK...

Heres the data from a J1000 I flew...

I hope to get it flown soon... i will post data...

View attachment J1000 9-5-2011.pdf

Did it spit a casting tube when it was shutting down? There is a blip on the downside of the curve.

Edward

Did it spit a casting tube when it was shutting down? There is a blip on the downside of the curve.

Edward

Most of the casting tubes were still in the liner. but i wouldnt rule out the bottom grain with some liner...(it was pretty messy at the bottom when i was taking it apart.) (my ejection charge pushed the bulkhead down crushing the bottom of the liner at the nozzle)
This motor is factory epoxied with the grains to the liners. the liner couples in the center of the 2nd from top grain?
So spitting a casting tube at shut down is - less likely, but possible...

May have been slag... almost all my loki flights have that "Blip"..
But my nozzles usually dont have slag on them... loki white burns fairly clean.

Back