Where can I find date codes for known problem motors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Blatz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I blew up an E9 a while back, curious to see if the rest of the ones I bought at the same time might be similarly spicy. Couldn't find anything at NAR S&T.

A little help, please?

I've flown a lot of E9s back when they were made. I've noticed including my own CATOs that they happened to me when it was cold. But others have had them CATO at any temperature.

Worth noting... Estes is no longer making E9 motors. All motors purchased at this point are "old stock".

If you look at the MESS report, that explains why there is a lack of reporting for them in recent years. It's not that they aren't cato'ing, they just aren't being launched.

I just wish the MESS reports could sort according to lot numbers instead of us having to go through each report. They have the data, just not the analysis.

Unless it's there and I don't see it???
I asked for a similar thing in 2019 https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/new-motorcato-org-site-preview.153660/post-1899688

On the search screen you can input a date code you know, like from a motor in your hand, and see if it exists, but it's not a display field in the results list yet.

kj

Last edited:
Worth noting... Estes is no longer making E9 motors. All motors purchased at this point are "old stock".

If you look at the MESS report, that explains why there is a lack of reporting for them in recent years. It's not that they aren't cato'ing, they just aren't being launched.

Those were great motors when they worked. I could get some altitude with a light rocket.

I took a chance last Spring at a local club NAR competition meet and flew an E9-4 motor from a bad lot number in Josh Finn's large boost glider and got a spectacular flight with a winning glide time.

Last edited:
Those were great motors when they worked. I could get some altitude with a light rocket.

I would fly them in my Semroc FSI copy of the OSO; replacing the FSI E7 long burns. The Semroc was made to take the larger Diameter motors the FSI model you could not fit them in. Last time launched out of a Gold Metal Competition tower [I got from Bill at BMS] at Manchester TN field.

I still have a few packs of E9-8 and E9-6. Not sure I can trust them but will fly in a rocket I have a backup kit for, like an OSO.

I blew up an E9 a while back, curious to see if the rest of the ones I bought at the same time might be similarly spicy. Couldn't find anything at NAR S&T.

A little help, please?
Do you know hpw they were stored? Temperature and humidity cycling can cause black powder motors to become significantly less reliable. It's possible that a batch that was good when it left the factory might not be reliable after a decade of popr storage. With the reputation of E9s, I'd suggest doing a few flights in rockets you don't care about, and then make up your mind on the rest of the batch.

Back