What is a good way to airstart an H13 reliably?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seatechnerd83

Average APCP enjoyer
Reaction score
I'm building a 2 stage 10k attempt on L1 motors for LDRS, what is a good way to airstart an H13 at least semi-reliably? I heard the aerotech ignitors arent the best so I would like some opinions.

1) do you have an onboard tilt sensor?
2) Baro or accell chip or both?
2) Do you know what the output of your initiating circuit is?
3) Do you make or buy your e-matches?
4) At what alt will you fire the second stage?
5) How long is the optimal coast period?
6) are you trying to use a timer?
You get I'm trying to get you to do the homework.
Answers are worthless unless you understand why.
So happy to hear you like engineering! Straight smoke and good chutes!

Either DIY igniters with QuickBurst ProCast or enhance AT igniters with Procast.

Also, ensure the Airstart electronics can fire the igniter you use.
I've had good success with Eggtimers running from 2S 300mA-Hr 30C LiPo (0.3 * 30 = 9Amps available).

I'm using an enhanced Q2G2 to light my upper stage H13s motor.
Small enough to get through the nozzle throat and a little extra pyrogen to make sure it lights.
I've used plain Q2G2 igniters to successfully cluster D21 motors.

I highly recommend against using any type of electronics without tilt inhibit for the H13 motor.

If anything goes awry, it will be greatly exaggerated by the 16 second burn time of the selected motor. If you're in a slight arc, that arc will continue and potentially even worsen over the 16 second burn.

Get something with tilt inhibit... The rest of us will thank you.

I have planned a Test flight using a CTI G58 and an F50 (to try and simulate the H13 as close as possible without using a long burn G motor to stay inside of the waiver.) I'll make changes to the setup if stuff goes awry and thanks for everybody's help!!

I have planned a Test flight using a CTI G58 and an F50 (to try and simulate the H13 as close as possible without using a long burn G motor to stay inside of the waiver.) I'll make changes to the setup if stuff goes awry and thanks for everybody's help!!

two words:

TILT . INHIBIT .

two words:

TILT . INHIBIT .
If I was able to afford anything from altus metrum I'd do it, or if i was able to find a tilt inhibitor that was actually for sale for 50 bucks or less, I'd do it. But I have a budget, and It's already running thin. I can use the RRC3 in other rockets, and if I NEED a tilt inhibitor after the test flight I WILL get one, but until then I'll fly with my RRC3. I have a GPS tracker already, so walking a long ways isnt a massive issue for me either.

I fly two stage almost exclusively and use an RRC3 in each and every one. Do good sims, be conservative as to when you light the sustainer, and you will be fine. Do it your way and have fun!

Back