Unique Rail Guides

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or just glue it on the surface.
It would probably need a bit more surface against the tube, or maybe a reinforced area of the tube if it was cardboard. And it would have to be a material that glued well with an ordinary sort of epoxy.

Attachments

• railguide050724.IGS
    156 KB · Views: 0
  • railguide050724.STEP
    89.5 KB · Views: 0
For giggles I did a quick OpenSCAD version. (attached) Enjoy!

View attachment 644470

It looks cool, but I don't think I trust my 3D printing abilities to create one that I felt was safe for flying.
Suggest putting a radius on those inside corners to avoid stress concentration. Also, is there an alignment feature on the bottom to keep it pointed the right way? Looks fine otherwise.

Work got a little busy last night. I design and modified a few for my needs. I will post them tonight.

This is a fun thread! I'm really liking all of the different ideas that have been presented.

Generally, I'm not worried too much about ultimate performance of my rockets, so "regular" rail guides are fine for most of my stuff. Like I said I gravitate toward "scale" looks. But one of the things that makes rocketry so much fun are the innumerable little problems to solve, and the innumerable ways to solve them.

I have a potential project I'm considering that would present some real challenges as far as getting it on a rail for launch. It would be a high power scale model of the Sprint missile, which is completely conical (pic below). I have a few ideas (none that I really like), but I would really love to see what you guys might come up with! I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll start a new one over in high power.

On second thought, I'll post it here in the Rocketry Watering Hole...

Would be very interested in a brain-storming session. Any and all ideas welcome!

1715265339280.png

Last edited:
Back