Semroc "Texas Firefly"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomtube

Reaction score
rockets5-17-11001.jpg

Another recently completed two stage rocket is this Semroc “Texas Firefly” A redesigned and somewhat up scaled model of the old Centauri kit which went by the name “Firefly” and used those short 18mm motors from times long ago.

It uses vented gap staging that is somewhat unusual as it vents out the rear by means of holes in the booster motor tube centering rings.

Lots of color and decals.

Just another in my growing fleet of rockets that I haven’t had a chance to actually fly yet.

When (If?) I ever get that chance I’m going to be burning through motors like there’s no tomorrow.

Last edited:
WOW That came out awesome!!!!!! I got one built,but its still naked.Semroc puts out a real good kit. I just made up the chutes for my Astron and the Iris. Even the glue tab things for the chute line/cord are cool with the 2 holes in them.

I'd like to put it in the gallery if I may.

Terrific job on a wonderful Semroc model! The Firefly has been on my build/downscale list for sometime now.
Yours is an Awesome example. Hope you get some decent flying weather soon:)

Thanks for the accolades.

As opposed to alkaloids or worse yet acid comments.

As a kid I had one of the original Centauri “Firefly” kits and while it looked kind of neat it never flew very well with those short 18mm motors.

Or maybe it was due to the fact I wasn’t very good at putting them together back in the days when “Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth”.

I wish I could figure out how to post larger pictures but somehow nothing I do when downloading them to Photobucket seems to make a difference as to how large they appear on-screen.

And yes you can post this in the gallery.

I have one that I haven't started to build. Good thing, as I can modify it to fly on the A10-0T when they go back into production.

John

I have one that I haven't started to build. Good thing, as I can modify it to fly on the A10-0T when they go back into production.

John

I wouldn’t do that if I were you. The Semroc “Texas Firefly” is not a small featherweight rocket. It has big fins which will contribute to a lot of drag.

I doubt the A10-0 could get it up to a stable speed before leaving the launch rail so you’d have a “Land shark” on your hands. And then the second stage would ignite.

I believe Semroc also produces a smaller/lighter version of this kit which might work with the 13mm motors.

I’d e-mail Semroc about this.

I wouldn’t do that if I were you. The Semroc “Texas Firefly” is not a small featherweight rocket. It has big fins which will contribute to a lot of drag.

I doubt the A10-0 could get it up to a stable speed before leaving the launch rail so you’d have a “Land shark” on your hands. And then the second stage would ignite.

I believe Semroc also produces a smaller/lighter version of this kit which might work with the 13mm motors.

I’d e-mail Semroc about this.

Actually given these specifications it will be just fine:

Kit # KV-31
Name Firefly™
Body Diameter .908" (2.3 cm)
Length 9.0" (22.9 cm)
Fin Span 4.9" (12.5 cm)
Net Weight 1.5 oz (42.6 g)
Fins Laser-Cut Balsa
Nose Cone Precision Turned Balsa
Recovery Bright Streamer
Decals Waterslide
Skill Level 2 - Intermediate
Stages Two

A10-0T to A3-4T
Max. Altitude: 600 ft.
Max. Acceleration: 23 G
Altitude w/o upper stage ignition: 200 ft.

John

Those are the Firefly RetroRepro specs, not the Texas Firefly.

This is the Texas Firefly:

Kit # KA-8
Name Texas Firefly™

Body Diameter 1.34" (3.4 cm)
Length 14.3" (36.3 cm)
Fin Span 7.2" (18.3 cm)
Net Weight 2.1 oz (59.6 g)
Fins Laser-Cut Balsa
Nose Cone Precision Turned Balsa
Recovery 12" Parachute
Decals Waterslide
Skill Level 2 - Intermediate
Stages Two

Engine Approx. Altitude
B6-0, B6-6 700'
B6-4 850'
C6-0,C6-7 1650'

I would probably probably try an A8-0/A8-5 for the first staged flight to aid getting it back. (That is when the A8-0s become available again.) Nice model, by the way.

Or use A10-0T in an adapter.

I've got one in the build que... It should be a fun build. For those who don't know, the Original Centuri Firefly was original designed for 18mm short motors. Centuri updated it when they went to 13mm motors.

There seems to be some confusion here about the “Firefly” and the “Texas Firefly”.

The smaller of the two would probably work very well with the A10-0 booster motor.

The larger of those, the “Texas Firefly”, would most likely land shark as it left the rod if you used something as low powered as the 13mm A10-0.

I could be wrong about that but I personally wouldn’t take the chance. I lost my Version II “Thump” for that very reason. C6-0 booster and it flew straight into the runway with the sustainer motor still burning.

I just lost Version III “Thump” this Sunday when the D12-0/D12-7 combo lofted it nicely into the clear skies only to have the nosecone and airframe separate.

The body fell straight down into some knee high wheat fields while the cone with attached parachute drifted off into the heavens.

I did recover the booster pod but I’m about finished with this cursed design.

Latest posts

Back