Old CTI Red Lightning?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4regt4

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm new to CTI, just wanted to try something different. I just received a 29mm 5G H194 Red Lightning, dated 8/27/15. Or nearly 9 years old. Old AT Redlines can be a bit tough to light, but the biggest issue on old AT Redlines is that something happens to the delay grain. Burns shorter, I've heard. So...

1. Is there likely a problem getting this Red Lightning to ignite?

2. What about the delay grain?

TIA,

Hans.

I'm new to CTI, just wanted to try something different. I just received a 29mm 5G H194 Red Lightning, dated 8/27/15. Or nearly 9 years old. Old AT Redlines can be a bit tough to light, but the biggest issue on old AT Redlines is that something happens to the delay grain. Burns shorter, I've heard. So...

1. Is there likely a problem getting this Red Lightning to ignite?

2. What about the delay grain?

TIA,

Hans.
Based on my experience with AT Red Lightning, your description is dead on. The motor can chuff several times before coming up to pressure. The issue with the delay grains is they tend to ignite right away, while the motor chuffs. As a result the delay seems really short. I have a bunch of 20+ year Red Lightning reloads that I will now only fly using altimeters. But 9 years isn’t really that old in the scheme of things, especially for CTI loads that tend to be well sealed.

How any of that applies to CTI red reloads is anybody’s guess – but it’s something to consider.

Tony

Based on my experience with AT Red Lightning, your description is dead on. The motor can chuff several times before coming up to pressure. The issue with the delay grains is they tend to ignite right away, while the motor chuffs. As a result the delay seems really short. I have a bunch of 20+ year Red Lightning reloads that I will now only fly using altimeters. But 9 years isn’t really that old in the scheme of things, especially for CTI loads that tend to be well sealed.

How any of that applies to CTI red reloads is anybody’s guess – but it’s something to consider.

Tony
Much appreciated. I tend to "juice up" AT Redlines. Probably not kosher, as it may be considered modifying and therefore experimental. But I put a couple of large dots of ProCast inside and on top of the AT Redline grains. Light immediately every time.

Since I have yet to open a CTI package, I'm not sure if "ProCast dots" are do-able or a smart thing to do.

Hans.

Is it likely good enough if the propellant has aged? That was the basis of my comment on a "ProCast dot".

Hans.

Likely , as such are used by folks making ignitors for large motors. Putting a Pellet or a Dot on your ignitor is not a motor modification any more then dipping them.

Likely , as such are used by folks making ignitors for large motors. Putting a Pellet or a Dot on your ignitor is not a motor modification any more then dipping them.
Actually, the Procast dot I referred to previously was on the propellant grain itself in AT Redlines. It lights them right up.

Hans,

The BP pellet used in CTI motors should eliminate any concern about ignition.

I've never experienced or heard of any issues with delay grain problems with CTI red motors.

Actually, the Procast dot I referred to previously was on the propellant grain itself in AT Redlines. It lights them right up.

Hans,

It still is an ignition promotor for the ignitor, just as putting a sliver of Blue Thunder up at the top of an AT red or green motor.

Regarding the delay grain, AT had issues with the Redline propellant catalyst migrating into the delay during storage. This made the delay burn too fast. That’s not an issue with CTI Red Lightning.

Your old CTI red lightning will light ok with an ematch. You can always dip the ematch in ProCast to be extra sure.

Regarding the delay grain, AT had issues with the Redline propellant catalyst migrating into the delay during storage. This made the delay burn too fast. That’s not an issue with CTI Red Lightning.

Your old CTI red lightning will light ok with an ematch. You can always dip the ematch in ProCast to be extra sure.
Ah, OK. That's what I was wondering about the delay grain. Thanks.

A bit OT: You say AT "had" issues with the delays in Redlines. Has this changed?

Hans.

Ah, OK. That's what I was wondering about the delay grain. Thanks.

A bit OT: You say AT "had" issues with the delays in Redlines. Has this changed?

Hans.
Several years ago, AT started packaging the delay and grains separately sealed in plastic. I haven't checked recently, but they must have worked around the catalyst issue for single-use and DMS, either through changing the catalyst or processing such that it's bound into the binder polymer.

Good info about the differences between AT and CTI. I’ve never flown CTI 29mm motors, so it’s nice to know they have the same BP pellets that the 38mm reloads have.

Good luck with your flight!

Tony

Good info about the differences between AT and CTI. I’ve never flown CTI 29mm motors, so it’s nice to know they have the same BP pellets that the 38mm reloads have.

Good luck with your flight!

Tony
I'll probably find out at the end of the month. I have a rocket that is a bit "tired", it will be a good choice for that old Red Lightning in case something goes haywire.

Hans.

Back