Northern Lights should be visible across US tonight May 10, 2024.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the aurorae were visible as far south as me, light pollution spoiled the show, but at least I did catch a very bright ISS pass last night. Actually had an ISS tracking website up on a spare computer screen when I glanced over and saw that it was traveling over South Texas and heading NE. Ran outside and caught it passing by to the east. Looked it up later, and it was -3.7 magnitude at my location, about as bright as I've ever seen the ISS.

UFO SPINS OUT OF CONTROL NEAR PITTSBURGH, PA!!!
20240510_222639_Dan.jpg
THERE IT IS!!! THERE IT IS!!! RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PHOTO!!!

Ok, I'm being a jerk. My autistic son took this one, and, like most of these, it came out better than our eyes saw. I had spotted what I believe was the space station, and I'm fairly certain that he caught it, with normal human trembling and night mode of the camera causing the marvelous effect.

Here are a couple I got in Colorado Springs. The streak is the ISS between the two Dippers. The faint pink cast is the aurora, very faint so high up and not visible to the naked eye. We could just see faintly the auroras lower to the north; again, the cameras did better than the eye.IMG_0369_gimp scaled.jpgIMG_0392.jpg

Back