New MMX GoonyBirds Launched!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcmbanjo

Reaction score
I flew the new MMX Missile Toe and Sky Shriek this morning.
Straight up, straight down with nose blow recovery. Both landed within 20 feet of the launcher.
The MMX Sky Writer also had a good ride.

If you'd like PDFs of the Goony plans, PM me or send a request to: [email protected]

Missile Toe 7.26.10.jpg

Sky Shriek 7.26.10.jpg

I flew the new MMX Missile Toe and Sky Shriek this morning.
Straight up, straight down with nose blow recovery. Both landed within 20 feet of the launcher.
The MMX Sky Writer also had a good ride.

If you'd like PDFs of the Goony plans, PM me or send a request to: [email protected]

Chris:
Are these goony plans all paper or standard tube construction?
the only Goony in my fleet these days is a micro MMX Missile Toe built around a PNC-5V plastic nosecone and BT-5 body. It's truely a funny flyer LOL!!!

Hi John,
These models have pre printed wraps that go around a BT-5 with white glue or spray adhesive.
This is based on the way Greg Poehlein did his great downscales. All the decor is pretty much on the prints. The only thing to paint is the nosecone.
The First Aid Compartment tube is cardstock rolled around a dowel. I use the PNC-5V nose cone.
The fins, standoff (and vane) are 3 ply - 110 lb. print, cereal box cardboard, 110 lb. print. This gives you a very strong fin just over 1/32" thick.

Wayne Hill was nice enough to host these plans for me as PDFs at:
https://rocketry.wordpress.com/ultimate-paper-rocket-guide/paper-rocket-partial-builds/
Click on my name "Chris Michielssen's Rockets" to see the PDFs.

I probably spent too much time on Corel Draw getting the art as close to I could to the originals, only much smaller.

For someone who isn't a huge fan of MMX you sure do fly a lot of them!

Yeah, I was dissapointed with the performance of the Quest plastic Micro Maxx rockets.
While they looked good in the package, they didn't fare too well when launched.

I enjoy drawing these and downsizing, they're good for flying at the local schoolyard.
These lighter models fly high enough to where you feel you've actually "launched" something.
Run off a print, add an extra nose cone - not much money out of pocket.

I had too many MMX engines just sitting in a box and too much time on my hands.
You put those two things together and you get mini Gooneybirds.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was dissapointed with the performance of the Quest plastic Micro Maxx rockets.
While they looked good in the package, they didn't fare too well when launched.

I enjoy drawing these and downsizing, they're good for flying at the local schoolyard.
These lighter models fly high enough to where you feel you've actually "launched" something.
Run off a print, add an extra nose cone - not much money out of pocket.

I had too many MMX engines just sitting in a box and too much time on my hands.
You put those two things together and you get mini Gooneybirds.

Can completely agree with you on that one Chris!

Most of us..including Bill Stine who designed the original Quest MMX RTF model line were quite disappointed with what the overseas manufacturer did to them in that first (and last run). All were designed to be 6grams or under....NOT to many of them made that weight class.

Those that do fly pretty well, the Vector, Raw Fusion and Tomahawk come to mind, even the RTV Saturn-V once a little clear fin material is added does pretty well at 7.0g. The others just don't fly all that well.

The MASS problem was one of the main reasons I started looking for REAL KIT Type Construction materials in very early 1999.
Cardstock models are OK but by and large they just don't hold up to lots of flying like standard Tube and wood Micro construction.

Back then we were using Long 1/4" Launch lug tubes as body tubes. hand turning NC's and transitions. Now,OH Man it's like we have everything we could possibly want for purchase..ON-line of coarse:( Fliskits complete line or Micro Parts is FANTASTIC! the balsa wood cones, plugs & transitions are first rate. Body tubes by Totally Tubular, or from Fliskits, Balsa Machine Service, ASP or now direct for Quest give us even more choices. Fibre or Wood Centering rings from Fliskits or Totally tubular make motor mounts and even Cluster motor mounts a snap. Most of the other materials are either the same used for our larger rockets or just a little smaller adapations such as shockline kevlar in 50-90lb range. and TEFLON Plumbers tape taking the place of Mylar or plastic for Streamers and RECOVERY Wadding all in one.
With these very KEWL materials we can now product Spray painted and Decaled Micro models in the 1.4 to 7gram weight class with no problem at all.

Like you I do most of my design, Drawing and Downscaling in Coreldraw. Since Art Applewhite Opened the MicroMaxRockets yahoo group we've added more the 130some Different one page full size micro model plans to the files section so all Max'er can enjoy building and flying these micro marvels.

My Current Micro Flying Fleet stands at 169 different micro models and still growing.

I think the BEST NEWS is we now have a handful of on-line full time Vendors actively seeking micro builder support offering both Micro Model kits, All kinds of Parts, and in some cases MMX-II motors as well.

My Hats off to all the vendors now serving the micro modeling community :clap:
Thanks you guys for all you do.:cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back