New Estes E2X Kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Initiator001

Reaction score
The Estes E2X label was first applied to rocket kits by the company in 1992.

'E2X' is shorthand for "Easy to Execute/Assemble/Glue Your Fingers to the Rocket" (Okay, that last one is a joke).

The original E2X models (Bandit, Rampage & Dagger (Some may want to include CATO and Bail-Out)) were small kits using pre-colored, pre-slotted heavy-walled BT-50 tubes (I believe they were listed as HBT-100). The plastic fins had through-the-wall fin tabs to glue to the motor mount. Plastic nose cone and shock cord anchor along with self-adhesive decals made these kits relatively quick to build.

For the past twenty years new E2X kits have continued to be released many using the components first used in the original labeled E2X product line while other E2X kits used already existing parts. In general most of these kits were powered by13mm or 18mm motors.

Now, however, the E2X line has changed. New E2X kits are larger, featuring 24mm motors staged to 18mm motors. The Pro Series II product line now features several E2X kits that have 29mm motor mounts for black powder 'E' , 'F' and (Composite) 'G' motors.

These are not your Daddy's E2X kits.

John Boren of the Estes R & D Department (or is he THE R & D Department ) has developed many of these new products and features. E2X kits are now much more interesting and exciting than the original products.

While I still wait to purchase the PS II E2X product line from any of my favorite vendors, I have received pre-production samples of the new Savage E2X kit.

The Savage is a two-stage BT-55 diameter model with a 24mm motor mount in the booster stage and a 18mm motor mount in the sustainer stage. It stands over 31" inches tall, has pre-colored parts and self-adhesive decals. The kit features a new plastic part which fits in the booster stage and directs the flame/plasma from the booster motor into the nozzle of the upper stage motor. This ensures ignition of the upper stage motor. Both stages feature screw on motor retainers. The upper stage can be flown by itself or two-stage by using the special staging screw on motor retainer.

I assembled my Savage model in about seven hours using mostly Plasti-Zap adhesive (I was watching several hours of Top Gear which slowed down my building speed). I made only one modification to the kit. The model comes with a nifty molded 1/8" molded launch lug. Since this model can fly on 24mm motors I replaced the kit launch lug with a 3/16" diameter launch lug (When the Estes 'Mighty' D13 motor came out 40+ years ago, most rockets which used that motor had 3/16" launch lugs. I guess I'm just stuck in the past).

The Savage is a good looking model and I look forward to launching it. These 'up-scale' E2X kits may help to get more people intested in the hobby and if so, I welcome more of these type of models.

Estes Savage E2X Kit.jpg Estes Savage E2X kit built.jpg

Last edited:
The Saturday, August 24th SCRA (NAR Section # 430) launch in Los Angeles provided me an opportunity to fly the Savage model for the first time.