My fastest spiral filling ever

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just stumbled on this thread and I’m going to try to paper a body tube with some leftover wallpaper and see what happens. It’s nice and thick and meant to stick to things. It’s clouds and birds which is appropriate for a rocket. Couldn’t find any reference of anyone using wallpaper on a rocket but I wouldn’t be surprised if someone has tried it. Can’t be much different than doing a vinyl wrap.
On Heavenly Rider I used Hobby Lobby pressed wedding paper. Glued to tube with chip brished on Aleene’s Tacky glue set in place with drops of CA. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. The hardest part was not being seen in those Hobby Lobby sections by the cool dudes. Had to sneak over to the underwear elastic section for the shock cord. Had to use all my charm to get the gold spray paint out of the anti huffing and tagging case. Loved those old 40% coupons! Nice to set launch lugs on seam. Soooo fancy!
IMG_20170423_180945580.jpg

IMG_20170520_112908852.jpg

To fill spirals you must have the proper type of Elmer's filler, looks like a yellowish clay. It must be throghly mixed with water to the perfect consistency of thick latex paint. It must be applied in small amounts with a hair model brush. You must use proper brush techniques. Dab and feather, dab and feather! Bob Ross rules! You must have the patience of the Jedi, waiting until fully dried and carefully using light sand paper. Then high fill primer paint and sand, paint and sand, paint and sand to PERFECTION!

NO PAIN, NO GAIN!

On Heavenly Rider I used Hobby Lobby pressed wedding paper. Glued to tube with chip brished on Aleene’s Tacky glue set in place with drops of CA. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. The hardest part was not being seen in those Hobby Lobby sections by the cool dudes. Had to sneak over to the underwear elastic section for the shock cord. Had to use all my charm to get the gold spray paint out of the anti huffing and tagging case. Loved those old 40% coupons! Nice to set launch lugs on seam. Soooo fancy!
View attachment 643618

View attachment 643619
Love it! That’s a classy bird. You should be flying that at an actual wedding.

Love it! That’s a classy bird. You should be flying that at an actual wedding.
It is a bit inappropriate for a traditional wedding. The story behind it is that the Heavenly Rider is a tad bit undead and stuck in that awkward space between heaven and hell. Having some issues during his life he is trying to use earthly science and wealth to gain entrance to heaven. All you have to do is get him on top of a cloud with the Angels and he can use the golden keys to open the gates....right?

At launch I am always looking for the cloud to fly into, trying to give him confidence that rocket science and more investment of earthly wealth in his rocket will surely get him there this time. He just keeps missing by a tiny bit. Better luck next time, I'm sure it will work next time with his grim reaper sythe fins. Good thing your recovery system worked to bring your remains back down to earth for another chance to fly. And in the end there is one thing the Heavenly Rider can say to the Padre and RSO at the launch: "I DIDN'T HAVE TO FILL ANY NO GOOD, STINKING, AWFUL TUBE SPIRALS DURING THE BUILD!

Actually, on second thought, the story could go over at a really good ole fashioned fire and brimstone service. Would take a really weird couple though.

How long can he stay in Purgatory? Well, he had a bit of an odd crash just off the rod last flight, got a little hung up but all the motors lit. Quite a bit of damage to rocket and the bones that would take a lot of gold to fix, but the bank is empty. Typical rocketeer troubles, tube spirals are the least of his worries
;)
FB_IMG_1625991105445.jpg
Where did the clouds go? It's a perfect day for high powered birds but Heavenly Rider has no place to land!. Oh my, but at least no embarrassing tube spirals are showing! No way will he get into heaven with tube spirals showing!

It is a bit inappropriate for a traditional wedding. The story behind it is that the Heavenly Rider is a tad bit undead and stuck in that awkward space between heaven and hell. Having some issues during his life he is trying to use earthly science and wealth to gain entrance to heaven. All you have to do is get him on top of a cloud with the Angels and he can use the golden keys to open the gates....right?

At launch I am always looking for the cloud to fly into, trying to give him confidence that rocket science and more investment of earthly wealth in his rocket will surely get him there this time. He just keeps missing by a tiny bit. Better luck next time, I'm sure it will work next time with his grim reaper sythe fins. Good thing your recovery system worked to bring your remains back down to earth for another chance to fly. And in the end there is one thing the Heavenly Rider can say to the Padre and RSO at the launch: "I DIDN'T HAVE TO FILL ANY NO GOOD, STINKING, AWFUL TUBE SPIRALS DURING THE BUILD!

Actually, on second thought, the story could go over at a really good ole fashioned fire and brimstone service. Would take a really weird couple though.

How long can he stay in Purgatory? Well, he had a bit of an odd crash just off the rod last flight, got a little hung up but all the motors lit. Quite a bit of damage to rocket and the bones that would take a lot of gold to fix, but the bank is empty. Typical rocketeer troubles, tube spirals are the least of his worries
;)
View attachment 643661
Where did the clouds go? It's a perfect day for high powered birds but Heavenly Rider has no place to land!. Oh my, but at least no embarrassing tube spirals are showing! No way will he get into heaven with tube spirals showing!
Apparently I saw the word wedding and stopped using my eyes to look at the rocket. Some people are more inclined the macabre and might prefer a darker theme for their wedding. I’m thinking the wedding in the 1988 movie Beetlejuice. Super cool rocket with all the back story and accessories.

Last edited:
I think I'd want something that contrasts with the balsa, so I can see it. This is already a bit difficult with Elmer's CWF; it's very hard to tell when you've sanded all the way through filler and exposed the bare balsa. I'm going to be painting everything anyway (can't imagine filling balsa and then *not* painting).
seem to recall @hornet_driver using two different colors of primer, something about sanding the outer layer off with the under layer for contrast.

Speaking of @hornet_driver, he doesn’t come up as a link under his name. Anybody hear from him lately?

Speaking of @hornet_driver, he doesn’t come up as a link under his name. Anybody hear from him lately?
If I recall correctly he popped up on the forum a little while back, but just briefly. I have also seen this where some inactive users stop showing up as links.... I don't really understand what's happening there.

Latest posts

Back