Kitbash: Mini Viper IV from Estes Hornet

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewster_rockit

Reaction score
One of the rocket plans that's been sitting on my build pile for a while is John Viggiano's Mini Viper IV, a roughly 1/2 downscale of the classic cluster model from LOC. I had an "a-ha" moment when I saw the Estes clearance special on the Monarch, Cosmic Explorer & Hornet bundle, since all three models were BT-55 based. Sure enough, my kits arrived today and the Hornet has the perfect body tube for the project: a single piece, 14 3/16" long!

Due to the worldwide balsa shortage (apparently due to the use of balsa in wind turbines,) all three kits come with plastic PNC-55AO nose cones (the shape dating back to the Estes Goblin.) To my eye, the PNC-55AO is a better match for the Viper IV's nose cone than the Arcas-style PNC-55AC that the original plan calls for. Not posessing a Viper IV to inspect though, it's hard to tell. Thoughts? I do have a pair of PNC-55AC's on hand...

In any case, I intend to order some BT-5 soon and get started. i'll post pics as the project progresses. It'll be interesting to see how the four BT-5's fit inside the BT-55. It will probably require a bit of sanding where the BT-5's join with each other, and where the BT-5's touch the inside of the BT-55. The project would probably be a bit easier if I substituted a BT-56 / Centuri Series 13 for the BT-55, but I intend to work with the parts on hand.

I regret not having taken advantage of that last sale, as the PNC-55AO is one of my favorite shapes. It's perfect for a 55 downscale of a Red Max, Mean Machine or Citation Patriot. I knew that the Monarch had a plastic cone but I was unaware that the other two models now had plastic as well. The last time I saw them they still had balsa. Bummer. This is exactly what I was talking about when I suggested to Mr. Boren that Estes should expand their offering of bulk plastic nose cones, as this shape is not available in plastic from any other manufacturer. A bulk pack could really fill that need.

I've got the fins cut but I'm awaiting the BT-5 that I just ordered from BMS. Only open question is what I'll use for a motor retainer. The original plan calls for a single nylon screw post (used to bind photo albums) between the motor mounts. I was thinking that a screw anchor with a metal screw and a washer might be a better choice though, especially because I have screw anchors already.

Pics to follow soon!

After studying the fin template provided in the plans, it appears that the fin shape is quite at odds with the real shape on the full-size Viper IV. I was able to find
the correct fin template in a YORF thread, so I'm currently correcting the fins I've already cut.

I've also realized that to do a true 1/2 scale Viper IV, none of the readily-available nose cones is a close match. The BT-55 V-2 nose cone from BMS seems to be the best fit for the length and shape, plus a 15" BT-55 to match the original kit's 30" tube. I'm using a longer cone (PNC-55AO or AC) and a slightly shorter piece of BT-55.

Last edited:
How's this for a progress pic? It's not flight-ready yet, and it'll probably take a few coats of sanding sealer and a few coats of paint before I'm calling it finished. But the basic airframe is complete. There was little issue with getting the motor tubes to fit into the BT-55 after I sanded the motor tubes along all gluing surfaces.

mini viper iv.JPG

I'm also attaching my .ork file if anybody wants to build their own Mini Viper IV. While I used a 14.125" BT-55 and a PNC-55AO, a closer approximation of the real Viper IV's proportions would use a BNC-55F (Estes original V-2 nose cone, available from BMS) and a slightly longer piece of BT-55. The full-size Viper IV has a 30" body tube and 9" nose cone.

View attachment mini viper iv.ork

Back