High on (yellow) glue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
How much power will yellow glue take? Would a Level 2 rocket made with yellow glue survive a J/K/L motor? Would it survive multiple launches? I've flown Estes rockets* modified only by improving the balsa and using a larger motor mount using G80's. But a G is a long way from a J. It seems like a lot of folks want to build tuff&strong; using carbon and glass fiber/composits. I want to explore the *other* end of the spectrum, a minimalist build. Second question: what's the speed of balsa ;)

*paper centering rings and body tubes, plastic nosecone, non-punky balsa, phenolic 29mm motor mount, yellow glue. Oh! The chute! It was non-Estes, a 12" ripstop nylon chute and kevlar wrapper.

Yellow wood glue is plenty strong for paper tubes and plywood rings/fins. You can build a LOC HyperLOC835 that'll take any J/K/L (within reason) with nothing more than wood glue. Get good joints and make sure the rings are securely connected to the fins and BT and all the motor forces should be transferred to the BT.

I've flown my stock, yellow glue only, HyperLOC 835 on J motors several times.

Last edited:
How much power will yellow glue take? Would a Level 2 rocket made with yellow glue survive a J/K/L motor? Would it survive multiple launches?

A lot.
Yes. Yes. Yes. <-- when gluing paper, wood, plywood, or cardboard materials.

More info here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/epoxy-titebond-or-ca.151028/
I've flown Estes rockets* modified only by improving the balsa and using a larger motor mount using G80's. But a G is a long way from a J. It seems like a lot of folks want to build tuff&strong; using carbon and glass fiber/composits. I want to explore the *other* end of the spectrum, a minimalist build. Second question: what's the speed of balsa ;)

It's not just motor designation (G vs. J), but the acceleration (g-forces) and aerodynamic forces that put stress on the airframe and the fins. There are some G's (e.g.: G125T) that can produce higher g-forces than slow-burning J's (e.g.: J90).
Many of us who had jumped onto FG and CF band wagon did so for many reasons other than raw strength. Some do it for looks (CF is pretty), some for ease of finish (no spirals to fill, and not even need to paint color FG tubes), most for durability. Most of the damage I've incurred on my rockets was inflicted either during storage or transportation mishaps, and that's where over-built and over-strong materials like FG and CF shine.

Second question: what's the speed of balsa ;)

Definitely sub-sonic, if you want parts returned w/o disassembly. Starting with fins.

Having said all that, I'm rediscovering the beauty, simplicity, and design freedoms of paper airframes and wings. It's far easier, and sometimes only possible, to build exotically complicated and beautiful sci-fi rocket models out of paper and wood components. And for those, I 100% use TiteBond II.
Except for the fin fillets and center-rings placement, which I can only manage with epoxy.

YMMV,
a

Last edited:
no doubt in my mind that, when using proper building techniques, a cardboard/wood rocket and a good "yellow glue" will hold up to the vast majority of flights that most of us conduct.

How much power will yellow glue take? Would a Level 2 rocket made with yellow glue survive a J/K/L motor? Would it survive multiple launches? I've flown Estes rockets* modified only by improving the balsa and using a larger motor mount using G80's. But a G is a long way from a J. It seems like a lot of folks want to build tuff&strong; using carbon and glass fiber/composits. I want to explore the *other* end of the spectrum, a minimalist build. Second question: what's the speed of balsa ;)

*paper centering rings and body tubes, plastic nosecone, non-punky balsa, phenolic 29mm motor mount, yellow glue. Oh! The chute! It was non-Estes, a 12" ripstop nylon chute and kevlar wrapper.
The 3" Bluefin Tuba was assembled with wood glue, and successfully flew on a M650, so the limit of wood glue is somewhere above that.

Good Carpenters wood glue is often stronger than the wood itself. I and a number of others I know well, have flown many wood and paper rockets over many years built with no fiberglass and using (only) wood glue (properly) on very large motors. I know an individual who built an all-paper and wood rocket using only wood glue for his L3. It did quite well.

IMO, unless one is doing some really special high-performance stuff. Wood glue and/or 5min epoxy are all that is needed (when used properly). Wood glue is cheap, non-toxic, and LIGHT!

Andrew

So, yellow glue. The old classic Tightbond is an alphatic resin, while the newer Tightbond II is a PVA with yellow coloring added. Which is better, and why? (They both work well for me.)

I am building cardboard and plywood rockets using TB2 wood glue for the majority of the construction.

xVwuNT7.jpg
1/4 scale Viking 7 project. I have used a lot of TB2, some internal construction adhesive fillets and screws.

IMG_20200108_145510492.jpg

I bought 1 gallon and keep filling my 2 squeeze bottles as needed.

My L2 bird Lead Sled has rocket poxy internal and external fillets, the rest is TB2. I used a small 38mm J motor for the L2 cert, then put it up on 38mm CTI J530 Imax motor to 580mph/850fps and 5600'.

I am building a MC Frenzy with airfoiled fins and aluminum tail cone retainer with a 54mm mmt and all TB2 construction, with external epoxy fillets. OR is showing 9500' on a AT K270W motor, or just over 10,000 on a CTI L265.

20200304_210207.jpg

I built a MC Torrent as light as possible for my daughter, its our largest park flier and weighs just under the 3.3lb/1500grams with a 38mm G motor.

20200913_135339.jpg

I also put that up on a AT I327 DM motor last year, it survived the thrust phase but due to a light payload, not large enough vent holes it pressure seperated shortly after burn out and made a horrendous noise as it tumbled 1500' up and slowing down from 600mph. Just needed to repair a 4" zipper and walk 2000' to retrieve the chute. I plan to add shear pins and try a slower burning J motor, CTI J150 or something to almost 6000'.

20201010_182227.jpg

I also built a scratch near MD rocket with a 29mm mmt. I have plans to fly this on a CTI H53 and make a attempt for our local H altitude record. I need to finalize the electronics in the tiny payload and fly it a few more times to see if the sim is accurate. It's showing 6800-7200' and 1050fps.

20200913_015625.jpg

~John

Back