Hey music lovers - introduce me to a new musical genre?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvanc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I feel like expanding my listening tastes. I'm basically an old rocker with lots of jazz and classical thrown in. But these days there's so many ways to go!

So if you would, please share a genre you love and maybe one example to win me over. This could be fun ":^)

Thanks!

Don't know what rock genres you're into, but here's a few of mine:

Progressive, but not just King Crimson, Yes, Pink Floyd, etc.

(TBC in next post)

Hmmm.
Well first off, I tend to not think in terms of "genre", or "category".....I like music that I like, no matter what slot it might fit into (or not).
That said, I do understand that genres DO exist, and that a lot of music might fit squarely into one or another.
As well, I love to suggest new music to folks, especially when they ask for such specifically....so I can't pass up that.
So, I'll post a bunch of stuff that I love, and that I guess might fit into a genre or two (or three, or four), and hope a thing or two catches your ear.
(this will be many separate posts).

Let's start with "Americana".
What's that? well, it's very loosely defined and can come from a lot of different places, usually mixing them up along the way. It's kinda where country, folk, "western", bluegrass, rockabilly, cajun, blues, "roots", "mexican", celtic, and a few others meet and mix. There are no rules.....it's kinda "traditional American country/folk without strict rules". Most anything that someone calls "americana" someone else might say "that's country", or "that's folk", etc., and they wouldn't necessarily be wrong. A given song itself isn't necessarily "americana", but more often it comes from an open mindset of the artist in general, or perhaps a specific album.

Here's a few examples (of what I might call "Americana).........

A few other artists to check out (at least some of their work) include: Emmylou Harris, Willie Nelson, Tish Hinojosa, Los Lobos, Old Crow Medicine Show, Gillian Welch, Tim O'Brien, Darrel Scott, Tony Furtado, and on and on. Tons of stellar music of "this genre" out there. Another great source would be the website "Western AF".

hope you find a thing or two you like,
s6

YOU ASKED FOR IT....

Metal covers done by a very good bagpipe player(s). I especially like one known as "The Snake Charmer". She has links to others she collaborates with too.

Thunderstruck

Closer / Scotland the Brave, Mashup

Shipping up to Boston / Enter the Sandman, Mashup

"Metal covers Playlist" :

[Nor a "metal" cover but a very good version of Amazing Grace...]

Next up......a "genre" that's a bit more defined, that most anyone would call it what it is.
And that is....Celtic Music - which is another big one for me.
Basically traditional music from mostly Ireland and Scotland, but can also include some from France and other European countries. And there's lot's of celtic music made in countries around the world too.
My own tastes run toward "pub music" and such, stuff that rocks out a bit, rather than the ethereal gentle stuff that many folks think of. But I don't really have any one style that I stick to. And there are lots of more modern takes with other influences, such as Afro-Cuban, Latin, Jazz, punk, dance, electronic, too.

Here's a few great tracks to get you started:

(by the way, the pipe/fiddle break at the end of this is as "metal" as it gets.....absolutely blistering)

If you want more, there are of course tons of other artists to check out including.....Nomos, Anam, the Pogues, the Bothy Band, de Dannan, Shooglenifty, Deaf Shepherd, Ashley MacIsaac, Flogging Molly, Lunasa, Paddy Burgin, Patrick Street, Teada, Wolfstone, Charlie McKerron, Lancaster Gate, and yes the Dropkick Murphys.

Most folks either "get" Celtic music or they don't....and if they don't they usually really don't like it. If you do "get it" and like it, you are lucky because there's LOTS more where that came from.

s6

Bulgarian wedding music. Or, at least, I think this piece qualifies. If not, I know that some other compositions by Yuri Yunakov do. Lost in Thrace:

---------------

Anyone interested in Americana would probably enjoy some of Ry Cooder's work. It's been a long time since I listened, so I can't remember just what to suggest.

What about electronic music?
Look up:
Armin van Buuren. Any album
Chemical Brothers. Any album
The Crystal Method...Album - Vegas
Paul Oakenfold - album Tranceport
DJ Tiesto. Any album
Above and Beyond - Any album

What about electronic music?
Look up:
Armin van Buuren. Any album
Chemical Brothers. Any album
The Crystal Method...Album - Vegas
Paul Oakenfold - album Tranceport
DJ Tiesto. Any album
Above and Beyond - Any album
Kraftwerk - Any album
Synergy (Larry Fast) - Electronic Realizations for Rock Orchestra, Sequencer, Cords, Games

Synergy (Larry Fast) - Electronic Realizations for Rock Orchestra, Sequencer, Cords, Games
I had that one! Loved the cover....as you might have guessed. That was the one with Classical Gas on it right?

I was going to suggest some serious pipe organ music, but you must have a very competent subwoofer, otherwise incompetent subwoofers are going to bottom out real quick with 16 hertz notes.

I had that one! Loved the cover....as you might have guessed. That was the one with Classical Gas on it right?
Sequencer is the one with Classical Gas on it.

I love them all and own them all on vinyl. (Some of them, I have duplicates: 1 in clear vinyl and 1 on regular black vinyl. I play the black vinyl versions.)

Back