Estes Solar Launch Controller Lives

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ordered this babe last week on EBay. New old stock still in the box. Put her together and ... nothin'. Took everything apart, sanded all the brass contacts, checked the voltages on every contact with my volt meter, reassembled and ... voilà. She lives! Just burned my first test igniter.

Attachments

• IMG_2167.jpeg
    IMG_2167.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I ordered this babe last week on EBay. New old stock still in the box. Put her together and ... nothin'. Took everything apart, sanded all the brass contacts, checked the voltages on every contact with my volt meter, reassembled and ... voilà. She lives! Just burned my first test igniter.
I had one of those when it was new stock. I did not like it much, but I squeezed in 5 AA Ni-Cads and used 18 gauge wire, and that was good enough.

Excellent! I still use mine. Need to be careful swapping batteries, since it screws together, and the AAs are tight. It's still my favorite controller.

I have an old one of these in a box waiting for a new life. I have found 3S LiPo packs that fits if you remove the existing battery compartment. I've been kicking around the idea of replacing the existing wires with 30ft and using it instead of the Estes Pro Series. Would have the same power in a much smaller and nicer package.

Excellent! I still use mine. Need to be careful swapping batteries, since it screws together, and the AAs are tight. It's still my favorite controller.
I was wondering if I could modify it to hold a rechargeable battery pack that might be able to fire a 2 or 3 engine cluster. I know I would have to use heavier gauge wire but it would be neat. I have quite a bit of electronics experience but I'm not sure a rechargeable battery of the right amperage would fit. Anyone done anything similar?

Back