Cleaning AT RMS Casings

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A while back i started spraying the inside of my cases with mold release after I clean them. I dont lube the liners and the mold release has really made cleaning the cases a much easier process. Pretty much a quick spray and ram-rod with a paper towel (I do use a cloth and spend more time ensuring the threads are clean).

Wondering about the science, of course :)

What is it in baby wipes that makes them so effective? Is it the ingredients? The ones that caught my eye, and are usually major ingredients are ethanol, glycerin, propylene glycol, and caprilyl glycol. Glycols are chemically similar to alcohols, just two -OH groups instead of one (glycerin has three).

Other than ethanol, those ingredients are primarily moisturizers. I wonder if they're responsible for the cleaning action.

Or maybe it's mostly the convenience. No need to wet a paper towel with whatever, no worries about skin contact, no need to rinse with water afterward, etc.

I'm going to use Hoppes for the deep cleaning after I get home, but I keep wondering about baby wipes for a quick wipe down in the field.

Problem:

Any baby wipes I've been around stink to high hell - yes, before coming into contact with the baby's butt. Just opening the container will instantly plug my sinuses and make my eyes burn. Are there any truly scent free baby wipes? Do all of them stink, or have I just been unlucky with the ones I've been exposed to?

Hans.
..........................and your ok with Hoopes #9? I used the stuff many years ago when I used to hunt and trap shoot, I couldn't stand the smell of it, and that was using it outdoors.

Wondering about the science, of course :)

What is it in baby wipes that makes them so effective? Is it the ingredients? The ones that caught my eye, and are usually major ingredients are ethanol, glycerin, propylene glycol, and caprilyl glycol. Glycols are chemically similar to alcohols, just two -OH groups instead of one (glycerin has three).

Other than ethanol, those ingredients are primarily moisturizers. I wonder if they're responsible for the cleaning action.

Or maybe it's mostly the convenience. No need to wet a paper towel with whatever, no worries about skin contact, no need to rinse with water afterward, etc.
Back in the mid 90's, a dude named Kosdon, told me about using baby wipes. Been using them ever since. At first I had a good chuckle but they worked very good. Frank was a goof but one hell of a motor guru. I miss those late night calls from him....🥺 And of course his "surprise" motors! I've always wondered about why they seem to work so well, even after a case has sat around for awhile.

..........................and your ok with Hoopes #9? I used the stuff many years ago when I used to hunt and trap shoot, I couldn't stand the smell of it, and that was using it outdoors.
Hoppes doesn't plug my sinuses, cause me to choke, or burn my eyes like baby wipes. I grew up around an auto shop, petroleum and solvent smells have always been part of my life. Creosote should be sold as perfume.

Hans.

PS: Off topic... Many years ago, I was in London and had a bad cold/sinus infection. Went to the drug store and they gave me creosote lozenges. Boy howdy. Everyone on the airplane trip home complained about them.

Hoppes doesn't plug my sinuses, cause me to choke, or burn my eyes like baby wipes. I grew up around an auto shop, petroleum and solvent smells have always been part of my life. Creosote should be sold as perfume.

Hans.
I guess it's a matter of what chemicals a person is sensitive to. We had a job in a hospital once and the masking tape and duct tape on the vinyl base left some adhesive residue in places left on after taking the tape off. We decided to use an orange citrus cleaner to clean the adhesive off ( worked good) could not use anything flammable or "smelly" or detrimental to the base. Any way there were a bunch of patients that were complaining of nausea and the smell due to the citrus smell. Then we used rubbing alcohol instead even though flammable and nobody ever complained.

As a bit of a follow up.

There was a launch event last weekend, and I emptied the cases out at the site, did a quickie clean with a brush, and submerged the various motor parts in water for the trip home. Got home, did a water/soap based clean, ran a dry paper towel through, then Hoppes. All is good. Until....

I noticed that there were only 5 cases on my kitchen counter. But I fired 6 rockets. ????? I dug around in my range box and found the 6th motor, with the spent goods still inside. It was now a week old. Did exactly the same - water based quick clean, then Hoppes. Looks like new. In the past, I've had a ring of cooked on crud where the aft o-ring sits, which has sometimes been hard to get off without excessive physical scraping. Goo Gone helps some. But Hoppes seems to remove it.

Hans.

Hoopes #9 even took off the newer type finish on my Ruger 10/22 receiver when I was just trying to clean the inside via the side port. Seems they use a kind of spray on paint finish instead of bluing now.

When it comes to old, well known branded forumlations like Hoppe's No. 9, I always wonder if regulations have forced it to be "kinder and gentler" in recent years. Regardless, it's still gun perfume to me. :D

I've not tried Hoppe's on motor cases, but Lubbock Ben put me onto Tub o' Towels with which I've been quite pleased for field cleaning of cases lately.

Back