Another ACME Spitfire build thread?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So just before I left on Wednesday, I saw that Spiff's canopy had come loose on the sides. This is .010" clear polystyrene glued with a white glue that bills itself as "canopy glue". Adheres plastic to most anything and dries clear, thus sayeth the bottle. Well, most glues are not as good in tension as shear, so it's been clamped this way since Wednesday about 11:30 AM. I'll let it go until I can work on it again.

1000004368.jpg

Those little astronauts on the right are to give visual scale to my 1:100 static Saturn V model. I have a Warhammer Insane Detail brush to help me with that...

So just before I left on Wednesday, I saw that Spiff's canopy had come loose on the sides. This is .010" clear polystyrene glued with a white glue that bills itself as "canopy glue". Adheres plastic to most anything and dries clear, thus sayeth the bottle. Well, most glues are not as good in tension as shear, so it's been clamped this way since Wednesday about 11:30 AM. I'll let it go until I can work on it again.

View attachment 640291

Those little astronauts on the right are to give visual scale to my 1:100 static Saturn V model. I have a Warhammer Insane Detail brush to help me with that...
Although I haven’t done what you did on rockets…yet I have on RC airplanes. I had to work with the same thing on a recent RC plane project. While I had the piece gluing and taped I hit it with as much heat as I dared with my heat gun to change its “memory” to the position I had it taped to. Seems to have worked so far!

Attachments

• IMG_0247.jpeg
    IMG_0247.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
RC airplanes?!?! You're a busy man! Yes I wondered about using heat as well. I think the stress relief temperature of polystyrene is near the boiling temperature of water, so if I can verify that, I may try it. Even if it dissolved the glue, the shape would be better.

So I ended up using epoxy to adhere the marvelous trim ring provided by @bravto the nose cone. And I knew I'd have to use a very thin layer to avoid squeeze-out and also place it quite precisely. And it didn't go as well as hoped, but not unfixable..
1000004552.jpg
So here's a question for those who may also do some plastic scale modeling. I've heard of using Future acrylic floor wax on clear polystyrene to give it a nice glass look. I can't screw this up, once I glue Spiff in, I'll have no access to the inside surface of the canopy forever. I wonder if gloss acrylic lacquer or whatever is in gloss acrylic would work the same way, to get rid of the surface hazing and make a clearer, more durable surface (on both sides). Anyone have any experience that way?

I've got extensive experience using FFW on plastic and vacuum-formed canopies. I will tell you it is not worth the effort at this point as there is no guarantee the plastic will remain as clear as it is now. Usually the FFW is used in a "dipping" fashion and allowed to sheet off and leave a thin film. That works the best. When you spray or brush it on, you introduce air to the process and that can cause problems. Spraying is better than flooding it on with a brush. BUT...since you are so far along, I'd go without and just clean it really well before gluing in the bulkhead.

FWIW, using FFW was a way to "seal" the plastic from superglue fumes that would cloud the clarity when gassing off. It turned out to make a nice finish and although it yellows over time, it looks great. Just looking at your picture, I'd say the canopy looks fine and with a little cleaning will look awesome from 10 inches away...certainly closer then the leads on the launch controllers! ;)

This rocket is turning out awesome! Can't wait to see it fly!

I've got extensive experience using FFW on plastic and vacuum-formed canopies. I will tell you it is not worth the effort at this point as there is no guarantee the plastic will remain as clear as it is now. Usually the FFW is used in a "dipping" fashion and allowed to sheet off and leave a thin film. That works the best. When you spray or brush it on, you introduce air to the process and that can cause problems. Spraying is better than flooding it on with a brush. BUT...since you are so far along, I'd go without and just clean it really well before gluing in the bulkhead.

FWIW, using FFW was a way to "seal" the plastic from superglue fumes that would cloud the clarity when gassing off. It turned out to make a nice finish and although it yellows over time, it looks great. Just looking at your picture, I'd say the canopy looks fine and with a little cleaning will look awesome from 10 inches away...certainly closer then the leads on the launch controllers! ;)

This rocket is turning out awesome! Can't wait to see it fly!
Much, much thanks! Will proceed as directed, sir! I wondered about possible yellowing, that would be "sub-optimal."

Yeah, I have a bunch of decals to design and print. And painting, yow! Last night I masked the bottom and sealed the edges with the red, plus chromed the bars on Hobbes' hatched and flat steel on the handle. Bur I have to haul to get ready to launch by PSC' next launch on 5/19. Here's the stack now. I gotta do something to set the edge of the nose cone off, maybe a line of rivets or something.
1000004553.jpg
1000004556.jpg
Onward and upward!

Well, I did just one more cockpit detail, adding an antenna to the control panel.
View attachment 1000004564.jpg

Then I had to go back to being a rocket builder. I got the screw eye installed in the nose block and added a heavy coat of Titebond 3 to the nose block to help with durability.
1000004565.jpg
Finally, I added a "cone of shame" to complete the masking of the rocket. It rained a lot today, hopefully tomorrow will work out better for spraying.
1000004567.jpg
I also but some base coat on two other rockets, my Odd'l Cyclone and Breakaway.

Attachments

• 1000004564.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 0
I also but some base coat on two other rockets, my Odd'l Cyclone and Breakaway.
suggestion on BreakAway. Mine flew well for a while, but eventually succumbed to E.D.

May want to store it in the deployed position rather than boost mode. Not sure if it will help. Anyway, hope there are no performance issues with your rocket.

suggestion on BreakAway. Mine flew well for a while, but eventually succumbed to E.D.

May want to store it in the deployed position rather than boost mode. Not sure if it will help. Anyway, hope there are no performance issues with your rocket.
Thanks, I recall seeing your post about that and have resolved to always storing it vertically!

Back