SCALE - (Goddard) Nell Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnNGA

Reaction score
This is really old school...Built the Fliskits Nell a while back, it turned out pretty nice. I decided I did not want to risk damage or loss, so I built a clone for flight. I got one for show, one for go. Fliskit in launch stand clone to the side.

002.jpg

003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice models. I hope you have lots of fun with the one for "go".

I was honored to be among the small crowd to witness the launch of the first Fliskits Nell just up the hill from the site of the original Nell launch. It was a rainy Sunday after NARCON 2010 wrapped up but it was an opportunity that couldn't be passed up.

BTW, Jim got a higher, longer flight than did Dr. Goddard.

Very nice models. I hope you have lots of fun with the one for "go".

I was honored to be among the small crowd to witness the launch of the first Fliskits Nell just up the hill from the site of the original Nell launch. It was a rainy Sunday after NARCON 2010 wrapped up but it was an opportunity that couldn't be passed up.

BTW, Jim got a higher, longer flight than did Dr. Goddard.

Thanks ..I've saw the video of the NARCON launch, ordered my Nell not long after. I've flown it 3 times, and yes it will go higher and longer, nice arc and no cabbage patch.

Last edited:
Looks great.

I'm about to start mine, and also want to have an appropriate launch platform. Did you craft it from drawings, or is there a plan for the platform that I've not found yet?

Looks great.

I'm about to start mine, and also want to have an appropriate launch platform. Did you craft it from drawings, or is there a plan for the platform that I've not found yet?

Thanks, Go to the Fliskits site and click on the Nell rocket, plans for launch stand can be downloaded there.

Thanks ..I've saw the video of the NARCON launch, ordered my Nell not long after. I've flown it 3 times, and yes it will go higher and longer, nice arc and no gabbage patch.

The FlisKits Nell has the distinction of being the only scale model rocket that out performs the original... Lol

The FlisKits Nell has the distinction of being the only scale model rocket that out performs the original... Lol

It's a great kit, many compliments. At last club launch a really young boy walked up and shouted "It's Goddards rocket!!" Gave me renewed hope for future generations. Oh yeah...cabbage.

Haven't had a good place to add this model. This seems to me to be the good fit.

3.4464 scale it was a really fun build designed around B2 10.5mm motors now unfortunately OOP:( The model had an almost prefect Scale flight at Goddard Spaceflight Center in Greenbelt MD. on the 75 Anniversary of Nells first fight.
I was honored to have my model stand in for the Centers Full size display model for the week while the FS model was on loan to another museum during annaversary week March 2001.

427-sm_Goddards 03-16-26 3.4464 Scale_02-28-01.jpg

Goddard Nell 1926 RocketLaunch-a1_on Display before GSFC_03-18-01.jpg

GoddardRocketLaunch-b2_OnPad_3-18-01.jpg

GoddardRocketLaunch-c2_LiftOff on B2-3_3-18-01.jpg

GoddardRocketLaunch-d2_Apogee-3-18-01.jpg

Haven't had a good place to add this model. This seems to me to be the good fit.

3.4464 scale it was a really fun build designed around B2 10.5mm motors now unfortunately OOP:( The model had an almost prefect Scale flight at Goddard Spaceflight Center in Greenbelt MD. on the 75 Anniversary of Nells first fight.
I was honored to have my model stand in for the Centers Full size display model for the week while the FS model was on loan to another museum during annaversary week March 2001.

Nice..GREAT detail!

Just finisned mine last night. it's bigger than you'd think!

The lower bend in teh BT-2 tubes took a bit to get right (2 tries) and I resorted to the old R/C plane building techniques

Still debating about the scale launcher though. It is a big peice of 'furniture'

The L-13 is next!

nell set 2.JPG

bench 1.JPG

Welcome to the SCALE (Goddard) Nell Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the (Goddard) Nell and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Fliskits: Nell: SC003

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Goddard launched the first liquid-fueled (gasoline and liquid oxygen) rocket on March 16, 1926, in Auburn, Massachusetts. Present at the launch were his crew chief, Henry Sachs, Esther Goddard, and Percy Roope, who was Clark's assistant professor in the physics department.

Viewers familiar with more modern rocket designs may find it difficult to distinguish the rocket from its launching apparatus in the well-known picture of "Nell". The complete rocket is significantly taller than Goddard, but does not include the pyramidal support structure which he is grasping. The rocket's combustion chamber is the small cylinder at the top; the nozzle is visible beneath it. The fuel tank, which is also part of the rocket, is the larger cylinder opposite Goddard's torso. The fuel tank is directly beneath the nozzle, and is protected from the motor's exhaust by an asbestos cone. Asbestos-wrapped aluminum tubes connect the motor to the tanks, providing both support and fuel transport. This layout is no longer used, since the experiment showed that this was no more stable than placing the rocket engine at the base. By May, after a series of modifications to simplify the plumbing, the engine was placed in the now classic position, at the lower end of the rocket.[citation needed] This was just ten years after colonel Ivan Platonovich Grave's first launch in 1916 (patent in 1924).

Last edited:
Fliskits Nell (SC003) Basic Information.

fliskits.gif
Fliskits

MODEL NAME: Nell Also known as: Nelle

NUMBER: SC003

Introduced: 2010
Final Year:
Designer: Robert Goddard, Jim Flis

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 50.5"
Diameter: 2.217"
Span: 6.7"
Weight: 3.8 oz

Mfg. Description: The most historically significant rocket ever flown! (Fliskits 2010 Catalog)

=====

"It has often proved true that the dream of yesterday is the hope of today, and the reality of tomorrow" From Robert Goddard's valedictorian speech in 1904

This scale model of the worlds first successful liquid fueled rocket was designed, built and flown by Robert H. Goddard on March 16th, 1926 in Auburn, MA. You are looking at a model of the most historically significant rocket ever flown!
From Goddard's diary the next day: “The first flight with a rocket using liquid propellants was made yesterday at Aunt Effie’s farm in Auburn. It looked almost magical as it rose... Some of the surprising things were the absence of smoke, the lack of a very loud roar, and smallness of the flame.”

We have seen rockets bring the communications revolution to the world. We now forecast weather with greater accuracy than ever before. We've seen the surface of Mars, the clouds of Jupiter and the moons of Neptune. We've landed man on the moon have have lived in space for months at a time!

All thanks to the vision of a man thought by many to be foolish if not downright crazy.

From Goddard’s diary from his teen years:
"On the afternoon of October 19, 1899, I climbed a tall cherry tree and, armed with a saw which I still have, and a hatchet, started to trim the dead limbs from the cherry tree. It was one of the quiet, colorful afternoons of sheer beauty which we have in October in New England, and as I looked towards the fields at the east, I imagined how wonderful it would be to make some device which had even the possibility of ascending to Mars. I was a different boy when I descended the tree from when I ascended for existence at last seemed very purposive."

THAT was the spark. Read that entry again. You can almost hear the spark going off as he recounts that afternoon sitting in a cherry tree. It is the rare person who can recall the moment that spark strikes.

A moderately complex build, mainly because many of the steps are not common model rocket assembly steps, the Nell is not all that hard to assemble if you carefully read and follow the instructions.

One of two commemorative kits for NARCON 2010. FlisKits is proud to be able to bring this historic series to life in the form of these two kits (See the FlisKits L13). Further, a model of this kit was assembled and finished by Tony Vincent for donation to the Mott Linn, curator of the Goddard Exhibit at Clark University in Worcester, MA. Before the donation, this model will be flown at the VERY SAME SITE where Goddard flew the original back in 1926. This is a historic occasion honoring a historic event and a monumental mind. Special thanks go out to Tony for his excellent work on this build! (Fliskits 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

fliskits-nell%20sc003-2010%20cat.jpg
2010 Catalog
fliskits-nell%20sc003-2012%20web.jpg
2012 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Back