Semroc Orpital Transport Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
Well,as I posted in the Watering Hole.I spent most of day cleaning up the sunporch. No more painting out there for awhile. So, its glue only for now.
I started the Semroc Orbital Transport.Plenty of pieces- parts to glue on this bird.
Pics tell the story.I did have to cut one new Bt-5 tube.It had been crushed.OH-Ya I replaced the main BT-50 tube also,as that was crushed.
This kit came this way,but I was aware of that fact when I bought it.

SOT.JPG

SOT1.JPG

SOT2.JPG

Last edited:
This will be good. I have been wanting to get an orbital transport kit for a while. I have also been thinking of up scaling it, but that would be after I build the normal size one.

With what Ive done so far,would you (anybody out there in rocket land)have used CA or Woodglue? Or both?

I've built three Orbital Xports over the years (four if you include MMX) all of them using elemers white school glue. I've lost a few wing tip rudders on landings but no major failures do to the glue. I'd go with wood glue for your assembly. I usually reserve CA for contest rockets and gliders.

I've lost two of these rockets to recovery failures. One when the chute completely failed to eject probably because it was packed incorrectly. Another when the estes elastic broke. I love this rocket so much I keep building it. I'm sure it will be a favorite of yours too.

I will be watching this build closely.

I've built three Orbital Xports over the years (four if you include MMX) all of them using elemers white school glue. I've lost a few wing tip rudders on landings but no major failures do to the glue. I'd go with wood glue for your assembly. I usually reserve CA for contest rockets and gliders.

I've lost two of these rockets to recovery failures. One when the chute completely failed to eject probably because it was packed incorrectly. Another when the estes elastic broke. I love this rocket so much I keep building it. I'm sure it will be a favorite of yours too.

I will be watching this build closely.
Thanks for the reply.There has been 1,942,456,743 glue posts.:rolleyes: So,I was not sure if Ild get a reply.Thing is, I built model balsa airplanes when I was younger, of course back then it was white glue only.I just wondered about using CA glueing wood parts together.I know Ive read posts where people have used CA to TACK wood parts together,then put the wood glue to it for fillers.Myself,I like the wood glue because it gives me time to sight what Ive glued and adjust it if needed.

Last edited:
It`s a great kit to build ,I had a lot of fun building it over the Xmas holidays last year.I just used good old yellow carpenters glue (Titebond) and I used Weldbond white glue for the fillets.

The decals are of very good quality ,just dipped in very hot water for 10 secs. and applied as usual, no need for setting or solvent solutions.

I used to have an Estes version, so this build brought back some great memories for me.I sits proudly on my desk ;)

Here`s a couple of pics.Note ,I did add a few of my own decals ,just cause I had to !

Enjoy your build.

Paul T

phpR93W0ePM.jpg

phpdgX607PM.jpg

php2acRTmPM.jpg

:pop: subscribed! this one has been on my maybe list for a while.

It`s a great kit to build ,I had a lot of fun building it over the Xmas holidays last year.I just used good old yellow carpenters glue (Titebond) and I used Weldbond white glue for the fillets.

The decals are of very good quality ,just dipped in very hot water for 10 secs. and applied as usual, no need for setting or solvent solutions.

I used to have an Estes version, so this build brought back some great memories for me.I sits proudly on my desk ;)

Here`s a couple of pics.Note ,I did add a few of my own decals ,just cause I had to !

Enjoy your build.

Paul T
Did you do any painting on/under the scramjet tube assemble,before you put it all together?

Here's one for ya Scotty. I built an OT back when I was a kid and had one of these moments a couple of years ago to do another one but with my own twists to it. This one was gonna have 2 gliders on it and a modified fin job. The gliders are like the OT but the rest of the rocket really isn't. I did modify the OT decals somewhat but they look very much like the originals. I was experimenting with those decals so just overlook those.

DSCF1680.JPG

DSCF1681.JPG

DSCF1682.JPG

Here's one for ya Scotty. I built an OT back when I was a kid and had one of these moments a couple of years ago to do another one but with my own twists to it. This one was gonna have 2 gliders on it and a modified fin job. The gliders are like the OT but the rest of the rocket really isn't. I did modify the OT decals somewhat but they look very much like the originals. I was experimenting with those decals so just overlook those.
Very nice!!!!Have you flown it? Im not doing any building tonight.Had one of those days at work.Back is sore and I cannt sit for long. Im just chilling on the couch.

Very nice!!!!Have you flown it? Im not doing any building tonight.Had one of those days at work.Back is sore and I cannt sit for long. Im just chilling on the couch.

Yeas I did. It flies great. The gliders don't though. They're not tweaked properly. The whole idea was to have both gliders circle the the rocket on the way down. I haven't built anything in months because I'm still moving the shop to another location in the house.

Did you do any painting on/under the scramjet tube assemble,before you put it all together?

No I didn`t ,just gave it a good thourough priming and many light coats of lacquer white.

I remember doing the long decal that goes on either side of the main rocket in two parts ,cause she`s a long one.This worked out very well for me ,and made alignment easier ,because you need to get that long decal nice and straight.

Paul t

WOW ,that turned out very nice ,I like what you did to it !

Cheers

Paul T

Did a little more. I sprayed some white primer (outside!!)under the scramjet cover and the underside of the cover.Needed to get some color under that.
Glued MMT in and layed out the lines on main BT.
Cut the dowels and lugs and used rule to line em up to glue together.
Ill llet them dry ,then Ill sand the edges smooth and even.
I think thats it for now. I do believe Im going to get some label paper and give it a shot to cover what parts I can before doing anymore.
I wont use the label paper on the glider wings.
Guess I should keep the glider as light as I can?????

SOT3.JPG

SOT4.JPG

SOT5.JPG

Just to add back to the Adheasive part? I use medium CA glue for the majority of the stuff I put together. Mostly so I can align and set the fins fast and lock them in with a bit of kicker. Go back and fillit with 15 minute epoxy

for internal stuff like engine mounts, I'll use yellow wood glue, white glue.

Nothing has broken on a rough landing at a glue joint. now.. Disregarding wood grain direction when cutting custom fins? that right there is a different story.

Disregarding wood grain direction when cutting custom fins? that right there is a different story.
Yes Sir it is. I got a scratcher I built and that killed me. Ive only flown it a few times and each time it broke fins off. Someday Ill sand the paint off and skin them. Cannt just cut new ones as they have pods and a ring attached to them. Be way to much work to pull it all apart.

Gary,
Seeing those Gemini Starliner pictures reminds me...

Now that you've closed your FB gallery, you really need to get all those pictures over here in TRF - especially your various sci-fi scratchers.

Gary,
Seeing those Gemini Starliner pictures reminds me...

Now that you've closed your FB gallery, you really need to get all those pictures over here in TRF - especially your various sci-fi scratchers.

Once I get the area prepped for taking better photos, I'll be showing more of them LW. Not all of my pics are that great. The Starliner photos were good enough to post on this thread.

Once I get the area prepped for taking better photos, I'll be showing more of them LW. Not all of my pics are that great. The Starliner photos were good enough to post on this thread.
Do what did..RR album. Garys Greatest Hits :lol:

RR album? You and your fetish for acronyms! In my world, "RR" stands for Rock-n-Roll. I have no idea what it means in yours.
Clue #1 "Temple Of The Dog" My world,ha,I have no idea half the time either,so your not along on that one.

If I got this correct..
Go here..https://www.rocketreviews.com/ Then create an account/ sign up.Then go to photo albums and it should tell you how to create an album. I had to play around with it some.Actualy I still am. There is a bunch of things you can manage in your album.

Oh, I thought you meant that there was a way to do it in TRF. I never found one though. If it's a matter of just posting them, I do have a Photobucket account.

Oh, I thought you meant that there was a way to do it in TRF. I never found one though. If it's a matter of just posting them, I do have a Photobucket account.
There ya go.Thats about all that I did by making Temple Of The Dog. I had asked about posting an album here on TRF and someone(cannt remember at this time) mentioned that RR lets ya post an album for free on their site.So thats what I did.

Cool. Like I was saying to LW, once I get the rooms in order, I'll have a special area set up for taking better pics. Eventually I'd like to have all my stuff posted and create a link in my signature that will lead everyone interested in viewing my builds. To which I have a plenty. I'm not interested in marketing my designs at all even though there has been some interest in getting plans for some of them. I will gladly provide what I can on that note. Speaking of which, have you attempted the build on the Fiddle Faddle?

Cool. Like I was saying to LW, once I get the rooms in order, I'll have a special area set up for taking better pics. Eventually I'd like to have all my stuff posted and create a link in my signature that will lead everyone interested in viewing my builds. To which I have a plenty. I'm not interested in marketing my designs at all even though there has been some interest in getting plans for some of them. I will gladly provide what I can on that note. Speaking of which, have you attempted the build on the Fiddle Faddle?
Ill be looking forward to the link. I havent fiddled with the faddle yet.However, I did pick up some label paper tonight.Maybe I can get this thread and the build back on track now. Dont take that the wrong way,but the build part of this thread has gotten kinda buried.

Back