Tomahawk

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
Heres a pic of my Tomahawk. I painted it with semi-gloss white. I also was in such a funk to get it painted I forgot to put on the air scoop.:y: :eek: OHHHH_WELL! I'll fix it. Need to finish the NC.Do the red and blue paint on the tail and then the fun of applying the decals.:rolleyes:

Tomahawk.JPG

I've wanted one for quite a while. Kinda like you and the Big Daddy. I think it would make a sweet 4" bird.

Nice job Scotty...looking good...

Post the pictures when you are done...it looks like the paint scheme will be challenging to paint.

I had a bugger of a time with those huge decals.I should have cut them into smaller sections ,but they did behave themselves.

I made my scoop out of thin styrene plastic.

Overall ,it was a fun kit to build.

Yours looks good so far ,just take your time with those huge decals ;) I would like to get another and do a better job.

Take care

Paul t

phpjvR6vUPM.jpg

I had a bugger of a time with those huge decals.I should have cut them into smaller sections ,but they did behave themselves.

I made my scoop out of thin styrene plastic.

Overall ,it was a fun kit to build.

Yours looks good so far ,just take your time with those huge decals ;) I would like to get another and do a better job.

Take care

Paul t
No blue on the tail? Hows it fly?

I need to stop thinking and start finishing. Which reminds me, I need to remember to have the plans/scans for the 4" invader before I start gluing so I can send them to you.

and Red. Getting some color on the Hawk. Had a bit of paint come off on one fillet. I also got to put another coat of White on it,cuz of the scoop thing.

Tomahawk1.JPG

Tomahawk2.JPG

Tomahawk4.JPG

Tomahawk3.JPG

Last edited:
Looking good Scotty! Awesome....I sell 'em you build 'em. LOL
Yup, that works for me. Ill get those decals out to ya this week. I got a couple others Im throwing in.Its just some I know Ill never use,so why hoard them?You can use them or trade them.whatever.

What a joke. I got the practice side done. I had no clue. I got the base ones on ,,didnt get quite tight to paint. OH ya ,I have to mention,the semi gloss (I think) made the decals stick quicker? Then I worked up the tube, cuz of some over lap on the red ones the stripe ended up shorter than the blue.So,I took and wraped the tube and made a mark around the end and applied the BIG nose decal on the wrap mark over lapping the blue stripe. Confussed yet????Ya can see in pic the wrap marks on the unfinished side. I also dug up the end decal with guide while drawing a line on tube. :cyclops: Thats it for tonight. Now that I know what Im doing (YA rite) the other side should come out better.

Tomahawk5.JPG

Tomahawk6.JPG

Tomahawk7.JPG

I thought you had to paint those on? For what it's worth it looks good! I mean decal are not my friend, unless they are water slide...crack and peel forget it.

Last edited:
I thought you had to paint those on? For what it's worth it looks good! I mean decal are not my friend, unless they are water slide...crack and peel forget it.
My issue with decals and most parts of finishing a rocket..is..to leave well enough along. Looks good,forget about it ..let it dry..dont touch..and all that.I think ever rocket I own has at least one finger print/mark in the paint.
:bangpan:

My issue with decals and most parts of finishing a rocket..is..to leave well enough along. Looks good,forget about it ..let it dry..dont touch..and all that.I think ever rocket I own has at least one finger print/mark in the paint.
:bangpan:

I understand...once again you just have to take your time and relax. Don't rush it. It's not like you are in a race to finish it and if you did when are you going to launch it? Ya know? Enjoy the process.:)

I understand...once again you just have to take your time and relax. Don't rush it. It's not like you are in a race to finish it and if you did when are you going to launch it? Ya know? Enjoy the process.:)
YA .....BUT, I have so many others to build. And, have you seen the GIF in my signature..kinda explains things.

Last edited:
Well, this is it .Made a good blunder,which lead to other miss alignments so its not exact Anywhoo- I like it.And Im glad it over.(EDIT)Well,close....I see after posting this ,I didnt continue the white stripe down side of fin on tail.. DECALS......:kill:

Tomahawk8.JPG

Tomahawk9.JPG

Last edited:
I think you did a nice job...hey I have an abundance of SR-71's and X-15's...

If you get the itch to build one or two maybe three? LOL

Too late, I already sent him an SR-71 last Dec.:D

Nice job, she photographs well with the black background.

Last edited:
Heres the blunder. The NAVY decals are on the wrongs sides. If ya look at the cover pic, the word NAVY is NOT over the scoop,.It should be/end at wing. This makes the blue stripe comming off the tail short, and messed up other alignments on red stripes over top and ....well......ahh....just screwed things up. :mad:

Back