Moving on up. PML Rocket ordered.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
Just ordered the PML "AMRAAM 2" This will be my first rocket powered above a "D". Im looking forward to getting the BOX!!!! Its says its a good intro kit to higher power rockets for B.A.R.s and youngsters. Well, I aint young, but I am a BAR I guess. I did look at the reviews on this kit at EMMR. Got some tips and what to use for adhesives and such. Most reviews said to drill holes in the BT just under the NC cuz the pressure dif in high alt flights can make the NC pop off. I guess???Anywhoo- when I get the BOX Ill let ya know,take pics and all that cool stuff when ya get the BOX!!!! :wink: I am excited about moving on up to MPR and this type of kit. It will be a totally dif build for me.

Last edited:
That's a sweet kit! I'm assuming you got the quantum tubing version, right? That stuff is easy to paint.

Should be pretty fun! Enjoy!

One thing I'd recommend, if you ever think that in the future you will fly this on a high power motor, then replace the launch lugs with rail buttons

Braden

Last edited:
Upscaler: the only issue with rail buttons on this kit is that it has a piston. Because of that, the rail button screws can easily interfere with the movement of the piston. Surface mount rail guides work great though.

Upscaler: the only issue with rail buttons on this kit is that it has a piston. Because of that, the rail button screws can easily interfere with the movement of the piston. Surface mount rail guides work great though.

Oh that's right, that dang piston.

The ACME rail guides, or even the PML available ones without the screws in them would probably suffice.

Bradne

That's a sweet kit! I'm assuming you got the quantum tubing version, right? That stuff is easy to paint.

Should be pretty fun! Enjoy!

One thing I'd recommend, if you ever think that in the future you will fly this on a high power motor, then replace the launch lugs with rail buttons

Braden
My first order with PML and to me it looks like it comes standard with the QT. As I said ,I did look at reviews on this and the lug/rail issue was brought up. And YES!! It will be a fun one and I will enjoy. Thanks

cool you are going to like that kit,I have the Amraam 4 and I have had it for about 11 years,still a great flyer!! Flew it weekend before last.

amraam2.jpg

What you gonna fly it on ??

cool you are going to like that kit,I have the Amraam 4 and I have had it for about 11 years,still a great flyer!! Flew it weekend before last.

amraam2.jpg

What you gonna fly it on ??
A lick and a prayer! :lol: I dont know at this point. I actualy have my NAR Member Guide Book right beside me as I post.This is new territory Im about to enter. By the book it looks like I can fly up to 320N-sec. If I have it rite, thats up to an "H" motor. May sound crazy,but this maybe the one rocket I will enjoy flying more than the build. Its just out of the whole sport of rocketry from A-Z, I like the "B"uild part big time. Theres something about taking a pile of stuff and WA-LA!! Its magic man,its magic.

Just ordered the PML "AMRAAM 2" This will be my first rocket powered above a "D". Im looking forward to getting the BOX!!!! Its says its a good intro kit to higher power rockets for B.A.R.s and youngsters. Well, I aint young, but I am a BAR I guess. I did look at the reviews on this kit at EMMR. Got some tips and what to use for adhesives and such. Most reviews said to drill holes in the BT just under the NC cuz the pressure dif in high alt flights can make the NC pop off. I guess???Anywhoo- when I get the BOX Ill let ya know,take pics and all that cool stuff when ya get the BOX!!!! :wink: I am excited about moving on up to MPR and this type of kit. It will be a totally dif build for me.
just wanted to ad this is in part to El Cheapo. He was my SS and got me a gift certificate to PML. Well, last night I let him know I placed an order with PML. However I couldnt figure out how to use the certificate and there was one other issue I was having with the order. Well, before I knew it, he took these issues upon himself and before today was done ... it was all good. Nice guy!
!

dont have the amram but i just built my first pml kit as well and was my first kit after a 10 year hiatus. The few issues that came up were the lug, i went with acme rail guides, the other thing to take into account at least on my pml build was insuring to leave enough exposed motor mount for the retainer. the hamr retainer i went with needed a little more than an 1/8th extra length from the stock build, idk if that will be a similar issue just something to test fit prior to gluing. the other thing causing controversy with these kits is using the piston, the guys i talked to that use them gave me the hint to set the tube and piston out in the cold to let the qt shrink up then sand the piston to fit and slide easily through the tube. Good luck

Schuks, ya know, Mama Bear has to take care of her cubs. Errr, maybe it oughta be the Big Dog always takes care of his pups. Anyway, a quick phone call to PML and it was easy as can be. The gal on the phone was helpful and sounded super cute.

just wanted to ad this is in part to El Cheapo. He was my SS and got me a gift certificate to PML. Well, last night I let him know I placed an order with PML. However I couldnt figure out how to use the certificate and there was one other issue I was having with the order. Well, before I knew it, he took these issues upon himself and before today was done ... it was all good. Nice guy!
!

A lick and a prayer! :lol: I dont know at this point. I actualy have my NAR Member Guide Book right beside me as I post.This is new territory Im about to enter. By the book it looks like I can fly up to 320N-sec. If I have it rite, thats up to an "H" motor.

Kind of.

You can only fly a single motor up to 160Ns, with up to 80N average thrust and 62.5 grams of propellant. Realistically, that limits you to a G80, at 137Ns. You're allowed to exceed that via clustering, up to 320Ns, but unless you're HPR certified, you cannot exceed a G for any single motor.

Of course, you could always use this rocket for an L1 cert. It'll scoot on an H motor, but it can definitely take it.

Kind of.

You can only fly a single motor up to 160Ns, with up to 80N average thrust and 62.5 grams of propellant. Realistically, that limits you to a G80, at 137Ns. You're allowed to exceed that via clustering, up to 320Ns, but unless you're HPR certified, you cannot exceed a G for any single motor.

Of course, you could always use this rocket for an L1 cert. It'll scoot on an H motor, but it can definitely take it.
Oh-OK, thats why the book listed 2Gs and no Hs. Thanks

So, did you use the cert for the Aamraam or save it for a Phobos?
I have this very cool filing system for paperwork. Where it lands is where it stays.Until the wife ...well... Ill leave it at that. So, after about the fourth time I searched the world over for the cert and found it. I says, Ill fix this BS and just use it. I have a feeling Im gona like this QT-G10 stuff. The Phobos looks cool. I almost ordered the "Callisto" but the end result was the write up on the AMRAAM about being a good intro into Higher power rockets and I do like scale rockets.

My first PML was the Callisto. Yeah the QT / G10 stuff is great. Think out your motor retention ahead of time, it will save you a lot of headaches. I'm suprised a piston, no piston argument hasn't started. Just build it the way the directions say to. As far as rail buttons you should be able to use the screw type since the piston souldn't go down that far. I started with Single Use motors so I could learn how to use igniters and went up from there. Good luck with the build.

My first PML was the Callisto. Yeah the QT / G10 stuff is great. Think out your motor retention ahead of time, it will save you a lot of headaches. I'm suprised a piston, no piston argument hasn't started. Just build it the way the directions say to. As far as rail buttons you should be able to use the screw type since the piston souldn't go down that far. I started with Single Use motors so I could learn how to use igniters and went up from there. Good luck with the build.
Should be here Friday ,ohhhhh thats tomorrow!!!!! :D I will do my home work on this before the build. I did look at some reviews. The motor retention thing was in one of the reviews and said something about needing an extra 1/8 of BT sticking out the end of rocket to use the retainer. (?) Very excited about getting the BOX and seeing this kit.

Well, I just check the stats on the UPS delivery. Says its in route to be delivered. Well, I got to thinking again and wonder if the Driver will try and go up my driveway. Its about 700-800' uphill with some snow on it. I never tought of this when I ordered and I could have put in an alternate address. I guess Ill keep checking my stats and maybe get an email from them saying the driver is to chicken to go up my driveway.MAN!! I hope the driver has some big ones. Its my rocket and I want it NOW!!!!!:D:D

Well, I just check the stats on the UPS delivery. Says its in route to be delivered. Well, I got to thinking again and wonder if the Driver will try and go up my driveway. Its about 700-800' uphill with some snow on it. I never tought of this when I ordered and I could have put in an alternate address. I guess Ill keep checking my stats and maybe get an email from them saying the driver is to chicken to go up my driveway.MAN!! I hope the driver has some big ones. Its my rocket and I want it NOW!!!!!:D:D
I called UPS dispatch and told the guy to tell the driver to drop it off at my Bro inlaws sport shop if he couldnt make it up my driveway. I called at 11:15 and it was delivered at 12:34 at my bro inlaw. That was CLOSE BABY!!!! Now I gots to get home to the BOX :D:D:D

I called UPS dispatch and told the guy to tell the driver to drop it off at my Bro inlaws sport shop if he couldnt make it up my driveway. I called at 11:15 and it was delivered at 12:34 at my bro inlaw. That was CLOSE BABY!!!! Now I gots to get home to the BOX :D:D:D
Well, just following protocol. Got the box. See pic of SMASHED BOX! SEE pic of A>OK Rocket. The wife asked "Whats dif about this rocket". I showed here the C6-3 next to the motor tube. ....OH!

A Box.JPG

AMRAAM.JPG

Always an exciting day when the mail comes. I'll guess that you, not your wife does the bill's? If she does, she will see the difference real soon.

I have one of these and the little triangular upper fins are prone to breaking off. The best epoxy I've found is a filled epoxy intended for concrete which I got at Home Depot. It's in one of those double syringe dispensers, one part is black and the other is white and it cures in 5 minutes. I use it to attach the fins and then make fillets. It does not flow out, so you have to "tool" it to shape the fillets. I lay down masking tape about 1/8" away from the joint on the fins and airframe and lay in the epoxy. I use a craft stick to shape it. The radius on the tip is just right and you can buy them in bulk at Walmart.

Always an exciting day when the mail comes. I'll guess that you, not your wife does the bill's? If she does, she will see the difference real soon.
We have our own "mad money".Some say Im lucky she lets me. I laugh. Its WE are smart enough not to let the almighty dollar control us. The bills get paid and the rest we foil away. Cuz ya cannt take it with ya. OH WELL, We be happy.:D I do hear ya tho, I was looking at the $$$$ for motors. May take this slow and get a RMS? I see in about 6 shots ya got your money back compared to single use.

Back