Cardstock MMX SKY WRITER

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcmbanjo

Reaction score
Here's a tribute and thanks to the cardstock designers:
Eric Truax, Bob Harrington and Greg Poehlein.
And, I include Wayne Hill for his website and all the carded rockets found there.

I just made this today. I know there has been Bic pen MMX rockets - for those, kudos to Art Applewhite.
All my favorite classics have already been downscaled from the Red Max, Goblin and Big Bertha. I thought I'd go with a modern classic.

Here's my downscale of the Estes Sky Writer.
The cool thing is, it is the same size (just over 1/4" diameter) of a regular pencil. When it sits in your hand you fell like you could almost write with it.

The nose cone seems long! It's the right length though, scaled from the Estes kit.
Rolling a tube this small a diameter is hard! A little steaming and some pre-rolling on progressively smaller dowels really helps.

Later tonight I'll start a build thread on this rocket at my blog:
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com

The PDF is too big to attach here! Just PM with your email address if you would like to give it a try. I send out the PDF to you.

Thanks for all the inspiration and hours of great builds guys!

Sky Writer 019.jpg

Last edited:
How did you generate the PDF file? Depending on how you made it, I may be able to shrink it down - I usually make mine from Illustrator, but I have to convert the file to postscript first, then Acrobat Distiller will make it quite small. If you used a paint program, I'm not sure just how small you can make it - you might try saving it as a GIF and see if that is any smaller. The compression routines to make GIF files are pretty good - in fact, if you zip a GIF file, the ZIP file is usually larger than the GIF itself.

Hi Greg,
Glad you saw this. I work on Corel Draw, just got the new X5 version.
I'll see if I could save it on a GIF. There's just too many formats!

Update: I tried to save it as a GIF but it is saved with a gray background, not usable.
I'm sure there is ways around this but I don't have the "format" background figure it out.
PM me your email, I'll send the PDF and you are welcome to have a shot at it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Chris:
Do you have a gram scale you can weigh your Skywriter on? Just curious if the Paper version is much lighter then my standard construction micro maxx pencil.
The "full scale" pencil is Standard T2+ tube with Basswood NC and Clear .020" Polycarb fins. eraser collar is two layers of Alumimum foil "tape". empty it's 3.25g.

Hi John,
No, I have a scale but it's junk, one of the $5.00 Harbor Freight things. It doesn't work. I'll get it weighed when I can and let you know.

I like the foil wraps on the back of your pencil rocket, really sets it off.
On my version, it took a while to get the colors right, matching up to the Sky Writer catalog pics and internet shots.
Hard to wrap that tube though, I did mine with 110 lb. stock, all I have on hand. It'd be much easier with 67 lb. stock.

Whoever follows through with the PDF build, I'd recommend making two copies, one in 110 lb. stock for the ply fins and a second copy on 67 lb. for the body tube and nose cone wrap.

I've found that with micromax models of this size, even 28# computer paper is tough enough for the rocket. I've built a couple models with 10.5mm nose cones (Apogee vac form) using computer paper and they flew very well. So paper would be a lot easier to roll for the tube. And a quick and dirty nose cone for one would be a 1/4" dowel rod sharpened in a pencil sharpener.

A brother designer makes a cutie like this, you know I'm going to build it, no matter how much it might hurt. So sayeth Ms. Bunny! ;)

....and just cause I'm 'ME', I went and made a paper nose kit for the lil Skywriting critter too. :D

This model is Bunny approved!

More build details, and launch info soon!
Thanks Chris!
Thanks for the resize Greg!

Eric:)

The model, as Greg said, should be strong enough made form paper, but rolling it gives a too thin appearance, and not very pleasing. It's sized well with 65-67 lb cardstock, and with patience, and the dried glue/iron method to set the tube, and a little wet white glue on the edges to seal the outside wrap against itself, presented no real issues to wrap.
The tube is slightly oversized, and a double wrap of masking tape was needed to properly friction fit an

The fins were made from the same sheet as the model, 67lb cardstock, triple layer, (a the fins wraps folded over a single piece), and are more than tough enough for the job! That's good because it saves to effort to use 2 types of cardstock.
engine.

The launch lug is made from a hasty scrap of the same sheet as the model, approximately 28mm's long. Only enough was used to stick it to itself, and placed roughly on the CG with a loaded engine. (I guestimated it)

The engine block was made from another scrap of the same cardstock, a strip about 5mm long, double rolled so the engine would butt up against it. Pushed inside so 4mm's of engine protrudes.

Kite string was attached to the body using 2 slits in the tube, and glued knot. String was fastened to the nose by wedging it in with the clay used to balance the model.
Just enough clay was used to get a successful swing test with a loaded engine.
Final weight of rocket as built w/o engine 36.3 grains as measured on my never failed me yet LEE Safety scale, or 2.35 grams.
CG as built, w/o engine: 10cm's from rear of body tube

2 successful flights. Both flights- rocket still slightly climbing when the nose ejection occurred. Both flights achieved guestimated altitude of between 75-100 ft.

Video of second launch, though not much too really see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRxnvBbqvOE
Yes, we're using the lawnmower ignition circuit for the power (are we high-tech or what?) :D

Conclusion: Nice job CHRIS! Thanks for the 'PANK' erasered new TOY. :clap::roll::neener:
This model has been Bunny flight approved!

Glad you're still building and flying paper models, Eric - Us die hard paper rocketeers gotta stick together! :D

"The tube is slightly oversized, and a double wrap of masking tape was needed to properly friction fit an engine."
I guess I rolled mine really tight, it'll take very little tape for me to friction fit.

"The fins were made from the same sheet as the model, 67lb cardstock, triple layer, (a the fins wraps folded over a single piece), and are more than tough enough for the job! That's good because it saves to effort to use 2 types of cardstock."
I rolled my tube from 110 lb. stock. It was tough but do-able. Next time I'll use 67 lb. I prefer using 110 lb. stock for the fins, it's just thicker.

"Kite string was attached to the body using 2 slits in the tube, and glued knot. String was fastened to the nose by wedging it in with the clay used to balance the model. Just enough clay was used to get a successful swing test with a loaded engine."
I've got some real thin Kevlar I'll attach to the engine block. The dowel nose cone is heavier, I probably won't need much nose weight, if any.

"Final weight of rocket as built w/o engine 36.3 grains as measured on my never failed me yet LEE Safety scale, or 2.35 grams."
Thanks Eric, Micromeister wanted to know the weight. I haven't had the chance to weigh mine yet.

"2 successful flights. Both flights- rocket still slightly climbing when the nose ejection occurred. Both flights achieved guestimated altitude of between 75-100 ft."
You beat me to it! I thought you were quick at building this thing and now you've got it in the air - with video proof!

"Thanks for the 'PANK' erasered newTOY."
Yeah, that shade of pink, or I should say Pank was tough to match up!
In closing - my rockets are not toys!

I "Lone Wolf" launched this morning at the local schoolyard.
I flew the MMX Sky Writer!

First up I flew a Greg Poehlein Cardstock Zoom Broom. It had a much higher boost with no coning and a better altitude than I remember from the other launch. Greg's Red Max followed.
Next up was Bob Harrington's Sentinel downscale, even this small it's one of my favorite Estes designs.

The Sky Writer was a great surprise. Straight boost and big altitude for a MMX engine. (I know, minimum diameter models fly high.) Recovery was simple nose blow recovery. With the weight from the hardwood dowel nose cone, it didn't add any nose weight. It was very stable.

Last up was an expiriment. I had just put in a small order to Quest and checked their Closeout and Sale page. There they were - The FLICS!
I must have a dozen of them upstairs. The wheels started turning. It's a cardstock rocket, why not?
I glued a Quest MMX-2 body tube (.392" diameter) into the main fold of the Flic. A nose cone was tapered to fit the contour of the Flic's nose profile.
Add Kevlar from the engine mount to nose cone and a 1/8" launch lug - Done! Enlarge the picture and you can see the body tube and nose cone on the right side between the FLIC body.
Swing testing told me to add a little clay over the nose.

What a laugh! Maybe 25 feet. Stable with nose blow recovery.
But it flew. Once.

MMX Sky Writer 7.14.10.jpg

MMX Flic 7.14.10 .jpg

Last edited:
You beat me to it! I thought you were quick at building this thing and now you've got it in the air - with video proof!

I needed 6 cups of coffee, and 3 Aleve to get that project going. Bunny really wanted to see it fly.:)
All that doesn't make for a 'good' build, just a workable fast/hyper one. ;)
I'm going to make another 'show rocket', and I'll work on getting the paper nose-cone kitted for download, for those who want one, and hopefully post it here later ;)
Then maybe get more work done on my other card projects....
Is that Quest Flic anything the old ...is it Estes? 2-bits rocket?

That Flic is a profile card stock rocket that Quest made back in 2004.
No, it's not even a Two Bitz, just two pieces of cardstock folded and glued. You normally add a rubber band "hook" into the glued seam.
Roger Smith told me he saw them for sale at a Publix Supermarket a few years back. Quest probably made them for that type of sale.

They're still on sale at the Quest site:
https://www.questaerospace.com/index.asp?FSCat=142&url=IND&iFromFeatured=1

Very simple, rubber band launched, not (necessarilly) made for a model rocket engine.
The graphics are actually pretty good. Just something I tried for a laugh and I did.

Last edited:
Okies!

Just finished my paper parts kit add on For Chris's MMX Skywriter.
I left a little (very little) slack for differences in rolling. I hope they work well enough for the 'purists'. (Somehow, I think I'm probably one of the few, here.) :D ...Well if I didn't make them, my fellow carder brothers would probably Cyber-Lynch me!:y::D

Change the above to- 'If Someone didn't Make them, our fellow carder bros. would probably want to cyber lynch someone.... (I ain't 'all that'!!) :D ;)

Last edited:
I hope they work well enough for the 'purists'. (Somehow, I think I'm probably one of the few, if not only one here.) :D ...
OK, OK... I have used plastic nose cones in some of my paper models..

But not all of them.. I still have quite a few that are all cardstock.

I tried to be a real "purist" but the paper shock cord didn't work out so well. :rolleyes:

So when I get around to building one of these, I will use the cardstcok nose cone.

Hey, Thanks Eric!

For taking the time to do the cardstock Sky Writer nose cone.
I probably should have taken a little more time matching up the color of the wood below the lead. It looks a little yellow.
When I did the eraser end, it took a few prints and then color corrections to get it close to the original. But with my dowel (natural wood) nose cone, I didn't worry too much about the color of the printout.

I flew mine for the second time this morning. another high, stable flight.
I'm pleased with the finished model and flight results.

It's a literal 5min start to finish to change colors. If you'd also like, I can incorporate an actual image you like of wood grain, into the wood colored part of the nose, exactly like a photo. I did that with my Bell Rocket for the handle. That's only about 7-10 min. :D
Your Baby.... :)

I have another body and lower nose part run off, Id like to build one as you designed, just to have. It'll be fun also to compare weight/performance differences too. WANNA RACE? :D

By all means, Eric!
I think a light tan wood grain on the nose cone is a good one.

I have a few small rockets that never leave my launch box. The Birdie, Applewhite Monocopter and now the MMX Sky Writer. I'll drag race it with you the next time our paths cross. Next Bunnell launch maybe?

I remembered a program that visited a pencil factory, and learned that Southern Pine IS used in the manufacturing of some pencils.

Chris is living in Florida...
I'm living in Florida...
So, I found a nice a nice Southern Pine texture, and went with it. :D
Picture coming as soon as I can print up/glue up this nose. :)

I can just hear my ex-wife now:
"Can we see that in a walnut?"

(I know you are tempted - but don't!)

How funny - thanks Eric, selection is a good thing.
Brian had better show up at the next launch with a Cedar nosed Sky Writer.

How funny - thanks Eric, selection is a good thing.
Brian had better show up at the next launch with a Cedar nosed Sky Writer.
Thanks to both Eric and Chris for the PDFs!!

And yes, I'll bring a Cedar nosed version to fly. But I'll add an extra wrap
of white to my fin can. When I sent the fin dimensions, I didn't know you
were scaling for this project. So, I neglected to tell you the fin can
has a leading edge step and is much larger in diameter than the BT... ;)

Not only will I bring a MMX SkyWriter, but I'll also bring my Quest
Nike Smoke to compare with the one you're building now.

Chris and I flew our MMX Skywriters at the ROCK launch today.

We tried to have a drag race, but mine didn't leave the pad.
(was using an original plastic shell igniter instead of the new ones).

These things really scoot! And get some excellent altitudes!
I really wish Quest would extend the delay times on these motors...

Chris thought his reached 100 feet, but I felt it was closer to
80 or 90 feet. So on my second attempt I measured the
apogee angle (with my arm) and counted out a base line
from my observation point.

After I got home, I sat down to calculate the altitude.

I was 24 steps (~48 feet) from the pad and estimated the
angle to apogee as 60 degrees (later verified with a protractor
and 'muscle memory').

tan(degrees) * baseline = altitude
1.7317 *48 = 83.1216 feet

Right in line with my 80-90 foot estimate on the field.

I also measured my stride length at home and it's actually slightly
less than 2 feet, so the altitude is probably closer to 75-78 feet.

But, if the angle is adjusted to 65 degrees and using a
conservative 1.85 foot stride, I get 95.1936 feet.

Yea Rocket Science!!

For now, I think I'll stick with my on-the-field eyeball estimate... :)
But next time maybe I'll pack a couple of alti-trackers and use
longer base lines.

Back